X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lindsey's mom
    replied
    Hi again all!
    As if the beginning of the week wasn't fun enough, I got admitted to the hospital again(the antibiotics they gave me for the pyelo apparently weren't doing their job). I'm out now. This is by far the longest flare I have ever had. The bright spot in all of this is that one of the general surgeons I work with (I work in a clinic with general surgeons, plastic surgeons, and 2 urologists) advocated for me and jumped on the urologists to do something ASAP. The pain has been horrific all week--I got discharged from the hospital on Wed and I'm actually back at work. I afraid if I don't gut out going to work I will get fired even though IC is a recognized diagnosis. On top of that, found out my husband is headed to Iraq. Question to anyone: How often do you get hydos done? It worked really well for me the last time I had it done, but am wondering if there was a certain time factor that needed to be observed in between? cussing

Leave a comment:

• khouse
    replied
    Babs,
    Welcome and glad you found us, this board has been a lifesaver for me. As far as pain control is concerned, I just started a pain med that I take am and pm and then have something to take for break thru pain, for me this has been ABSOLUTELY the best way to control my pain, I had just been taking meds when I had pain that I just could not bear, but it was a viscious cycle, I never knew if I should take my meds or hold out for a time that was worse than the present pain and I ended up getting into a pain cycle that I could not control and thus ended up on the couch or in the bed as my life passed me by. I hope this makes sense, hang in there and take care of yourself.
    Love,
    Kim
    khouse

sorry about the MAJOR run on sentence but it is so hard to type what you want to say and worry about correct grammar and puctuation!

Leave a comment:

• tigger_gal
    replied
    hugs I hope you are feeling better and doing good soon.. ~welcome to the boards~
    Brat

Leave a comment:

• lindsey's mom
    replied
    Thanks for all the welcoming responses. It's nice to communicate with people who understand my experiences. I think the cystocele is a contributer to the frequent infections and I get stuck in a vicious cycle of infection, flare, infection, flare due to the residual urine. I was told that I retain about 200 cc of urine after every void. This is probably my worst flare to date, and is becoming very frustrating. I think being a nurse makes it harder sometimes(especially with chronic pain) because I see the other side too, and frequently interact with peoples archaic attitudes about pain relief. Do you guys find that long acting pain meds work better(like Fentanyl patches, etc) or short acting rescue meds? I'm holding out hope that the Elmiron will kick in at some point. The Elavil didn't help at all. Thanks for your input. :cool:

Leave a comment:

• JAF
    replied
    I also wanted to add to the welcome. I don't have any answers for you but hope you can feel better soon. kissing

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    replied
    I'd like to add another welcome to the IC Network.

I'm sorry you've had such a difficult time with infections --- is there a possibility the cystocele is contributing to this? I know that if you have residual urine, it can result in infections. I hope you find some answers very soon.

Sending a welcoming hug,
    Donna

Leave a comment:

• Britgal
    replied
    Hi Barb, and welcome to the IC boards and to the IC family, sorry you have the diagnosis of IC, but you are among many friends here, who know exactly, the ups and downs of IC. Lots of information, and supportive, and caring gals, and our few guys. Welcoming hugs Iris. hi grouphug

Leave a comment:

• Sarojini
    replied
    Hi Babs... welcome to the ICN. I am a newbie. I was just diagnosed with IC last week with a cysto/hydro, but I have found so much support here on these boards during the last few months... you have really come to a great place.

Jen

Leave a comment:

• Sandy N.
    replied
    Welcome, you have come to the right place. I can not tell you how many times I have received support and HUGS and comfort from this site. I was dx almost 2 years ago. Welcome to the boards. Sandy N. grouphug

Leave a comment:

• Babs RN
    started a topic Flare with a Kidney Infection

Flare with a Kidney Infection

Hi! I am new to the ICN but unfortunately not new to IC. I was diagnosed in June 03 after a hydrodistention. I was started on Elmiron and Elavil in July of that year. Since then I have had back to back UTI's that never seems to go away. I have also had to be admitted for pyelonephritis 3 times since my diagnosis. I have since moved to a new city where they are more proactive with pain control and IC. Thanks to the kidney infection, I am in the middle of a massive flare. Percocet works at night for the pain, but I am a nurse and can't take it at work. So by the time I get home, I'm about the keel over. I also found out last week that I have a Grade 3 cystocele that needs repaired too. I am so glad I found this message board. I have never come across anyone else with IC. Just looking for some feedback from some vets. Thanks in advance.
Working...
X