No announcement yet.


  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • burning!


    Does anyone know what will help the urethra from burning? It is so uncomfortable, it just feels so irritated and I can't get comfortable.

    Anyone know of any medication that would help ease this? Also, does anyone know of a medication that will "widen" or "enlarge" the urethra? It feels so tight...????

    Any suggestions are appreciated! Thank you!

  • #2
    Hi Dee,

    I am sorry that you are feeling miserable. Have you considered a urethral dialation? I know Iris and Donna both had them done. It's not medication, but it could help maybe?

    I hope you feel better soon!

    Hugs and love,
    Mommy to 2 crazy, wonderful kids and wife to the most amazing man in the world!


    • #3
      Hi, you might want to try whatever pain medication you have on hand. Sometimes I get relief from burning by taking nsaids or narcotic pain relievers. Also a sitz bath or tub bath may offer some relief. Just don't use bubble bath, oils, or scented soap.

      Hope you find some relief soon. Burning is one of my poisons, so I can imagine how you must be feeling.



      • #4
        I have a 2% lidocaine gel that I can use for that. It numbs the area much like novacaine when you go to the dentist. It is by prescription only but well worth it!
        Live life to the fullest day to day. The best way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time!

        DX: IC - November 2002 after hysterectomy
        Interstim implanted March 2006 - died May 2011
        Interstim replacement June 2011
        Meds: Pain meds, muscle relaxer, cystex, and marcaine bladder instills as needed.
        Docs: Pain management doc, urologist, family practice


        • #5
          Ohhhh, Thank YOU very much for the replies!

          I have been taking pyridium and that seemed to be helping....but I am worried that I shouldn't take it every day.

          So, thank you for your suggestions, I'll have to try the baths and ask my doctor about the cream.

          Thanks too for the idea of dialation. I just wish there was something "PERMANENT" to make it wider. Is there? Is there a minor surgery to help this permanently?

          Thank YOU!



          • #6
            I had the urethral dialation a year ago and also as a child i had it done but what helps me is a pack of ice of my private area. I have also used the cream the doctor gave me from his office that also helped. good luck and hope you feel better soon please keep us updated on how you are. grouphug
            Medicine taken daily or as needed:
            1. Heaprin and Marcaine rescue installment 1 to 3x daily as needed.
            2. MS.Cotin 100mg 3x daily
            3. MSIR 30mg 1 or 2 every 4-6hrs as needed for breakthrew pain.
            4. Fentanyl 100 mg Change every 48hrs.
            5. Gentamicin 80mg install after each rescue treatment
            5 Leviquin 500mg self start as needed.
            6. Klonopin 1 or 2 daily as needed.
            7. Prosed/DS as 1 every 6hrs as needed.

            I have IC, but IC doesn't have me anymore!


            • #7
              For my burning, I take an icecube put it in a condom, tie up the top and wrap it in a paper towel. The condom keeps the paper towel from getting wet. You can use the condom over again many times. You can toss the paper towel after each use. The icecube will melt in about 20 minutes. I swear I could bake something there, I get so inflamed. lmao


              • #8
                Hi Dee, yes Jess was right about me, I had a urethral dilation done at the same time I had my cysto/hydro. I used to get terrible burning, and intense pain. I was told I had a very narrow urethra, and that the dilation would help. So far, so good, one thing I used to do, is the same as Rhonda, and use an ice pack that did help. It seemed to cool down that on fire feeling. Hope that helps, let us know how you are doing, hugs Iris. hi grouphug
                Today and every day you are loved, so don't be anxious about tomorrow, God will take care of you tomorrow; Live one day at a time.


                • #9
                  Oh, Thank you guys so much, you are all so sweet and caring.

                  I'll have to try the ice....has anyone ever tried pyridium? It seems to help during the day when I'm at work, but then it kinda makes it so you can't pee all that much when you do that what it's supposed to do? ( sorry for all the questions ) I'm not used to all this burning ALL the time.

                  I might have to try and see about the dialation too. How long does it last??? Isn't there something more permanent? I just want it widened for good and be done with it. What about urethrotomies? I heard that works ( IF you get a good doctor ) but then again...those are hard to find, aren't they!

                  Well, thanks for the suggestions, I'll try them, and sorry for all the questions!



                  • #10
                    If you have a stricture of the urethra there is a surgical procedure that can be done to alleviate it. It is called an internal urethrotomy. I had one done many years ago. It is a permanent procedure. A dilatation may have to be repeated in time.



                    • #11
                      Predyium doesn't work for me, at times when I took it I think it made my worse. It also hasn't ever helped my daughter either. I take UTA capsules, I swear I think they are the best blabber spasm meds. there are. Urimax is also great!!! You need to go the doc. and make sure you don't have a bacterial infection going on. If that is the case Metro-gel is great with the burning sensation. Whatever you do please go to you doctor first thing in the morning and don't put it off because bacterial infections get alot worse quick the longer they go untreated. My 20 year old daughter gets them all the time and that is what has helped her trememdously!!! Don't foget-----------call that doc. first thin in the morning. Sometimes laying with a cold wash cloth between your legs help!!

                      Keeping you in my thoughts,

                      Tami hi
                      [email protected]


                      • #12
                        Dear Dee--

                        I had an internal urethrotomy done about 27 years ago. I have never had a problem with it and I have never needed to be dilated since having the procedure done. So far my stream is normal. If I have any difficulty in voiding it is due to bladder spasms or clot retention.

                        Good luck to you



                        • #13
                          I can't use Pyridium, but can use Urised if I experience urethral burning and that does help. I also make sure to rinse off with cool water after urinating when I have urethral or vulvar burning, and a sitz bath with baking soda (or the ice pack) help too.

                          I would also recommend taking calcium citrate (1200mg or more daily) which is recommended for women who experience vulvar burning. I've been taking it and it helps me a lot.

                          I have also had an internal urethrotomy and dilations done. If the stricture isn't severe, a dilation could be helpful. It's a little bit painful, but far less invasive than a urethrotomy, which requires an overnight stay in the hospital and at least 3 days of recovery time.

                          "You must be the change you want to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi

                          "The most important medicine is tender love and care" - Mother Teresa

                          Proud mother of Ahleia, born on April 9, 2007

                          Diagnosed with:
                          IC, OAB, Congenital urethral stricture, IBS, Vulvar vestibulitis, Heart murmur, Congenital cervical stenosis...but otherwise doing great!

                          Currently in remission, but took the following for 3 years: Elmiron 200 mg., Elavil 25 mg., Detrol LA 4mg, Ovcon-35

                          Health treatments/practices:
                          Kripalu yoga, Chiropractic, Massage therapy and Reiki