Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting off 2011 with a flare

Boo! hiss!

I don't know what I did to deserve this. I wish I could say I had a drink for New Years, or a piece of pizza, or had done something, -anything- to pin it on. Instead it's one of those mystery flares. Not fair at all!

Fortunately so far it's not been a blow-out, need to bite on a stick flare, and I'm praying it stays that way. I know others are suffering much worse flares than I am at this moment.

I sure wish we wouldn't have to go through this!
    Vicki
    "The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have."

Hi, what have you tried for your flare. I'm having my first in 3 yrs. Can't believe this and at a loss for what to do. Any advice would help. Judy Gee

Comment

Originally posted by Judy Gee View Post
      I'm having my first in 3 yrs. Can't believe this and at a loss for what to do.
      Hi Judy. Boy, that must really be disappointing after having had such a long stretch without one!

So far I've just been staying super safe with the diet, limiting my activity (dust-bunnies are multiplying!), drinking lots of pure, untreated water, and occasionally mixing some baking soda in. It seems every time I do the baking soda thing my symptoms recede only to return again after it wears off. Bummer! Nothing like getting one's hopes up -then dashed! -Repeatedly!

Have you been having any luck at getting at least some temporary relief like me?

Have you been checked for an infection? I'd been in a good stretch too, though not nearly as long as yours, and I'm debating when I should go in to have that UTI possibility checked out. My doc says I'm his only patient who comes in hoping to hear I have an infection! I always leave disappointed though!

Vicki
      "The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have."

Comment

HI Vicki, wow, that was fast- your answer that is. Yes, I have been to the uro recently. That's when she put me on the Ativan and pryidium. ( I promise I look up the correct spelling of that word I haven't tried the baking soda. When do you use it??? before you eat or after. Or is it when you notice the symptoms? What does it actually do. Thanks again for your post. It made me feel good to know someone is out there. Judy Gee

Comment

Is the pyridium helping at all? I always keep the OTC brands on hand but I only have a few pills so I'm saving them just in case it gets worse. Tomorrow the drug stores will be open and I can re-stock my supply!

I tend to get good results from using baking soda but I try to not do it too often. Even though my diet isn't sodium restricted I'm still not so sure it's good for me in excess. Anyway, it seems to have a soothing affect on my bladder, muting the pain and especially the burn. I take it after the symptoms have started in order to get some relief. I mix 1/2 teaspoon into a glass of water and drink it down. Some people use a whole teaspoon but that concentration tastes so bad to me that I can't get it down.

Yes, it's nice to know that others are out here!
          Vicki

Comment

I think it's helping a bit and then agian I wonder if it bothers me in some ways. Had a awful night last night, up every hour. I think I will try the baking soda today. Thanks for staying in touch. How are you doing and what is working for you beside the baking soday. Judy Gee

Comment

I hate those nights when you're up every hour! It even makes me a bit peeved to look at my hubby sleeping peacefully. Somehow I find some relief by logging on to this site since inevitably it seems someone else is also here in the wee hours. As much as I hate to know someone else is dealing with this, it's so comforting to know I'm not alone.

Today it's so far so good for me. How are you doing today? I hope the baking soda has given you some relief?

It feels like my flare is finally tapering off but it's too soon to know for sure. My flares are generally like a roller coaster ride with wide swings in intensity. Feeling better at any one point is not unusual for me.

Comment

Back again, just called the uro's office to see if I could get some more samples for frequency and try the Prosed. Have you ever tryed the Prosed? I'll try anything at this point. If you have info about the Prosed could you let me know, side effects, blue or orange in the potty??? I will try the baking soda also. What kinds foods have you been eating lately. I had toast yesterday with butter and half a pear. Lunch I had some cheese and bread. Dinner I made a spaghtetti that had a white sauce and crab, a bit of cheese. I sipped on cinnamon tea during the day. As I mentioned, I was up every hour. Feel a lot better today but not 100%. Do you know if certain foods set you off? I was able to handle almost anything until now. Very discouraging but I am making myself get up and get out even though we are snowed in. Went to Curves at 6:30 am, I've gotta get moving or it's disaster for me. Thanks so much for being out there for me, it's been very comforting. I have met a great friend in IN who has really been a wonderful mentor and has so much knowlege about this. I would have never dreamed I would be discussing this subject at this point in my life. Sometimes it's good that we don't know what's ahead of us. Thanks again and hope to hear from you again. Judy Gee

Comment

No, I've never tried Prosed, but I know there are several people here who have mentioned it helps them. I believe it's the 'pee blue' med. There was a thread on Prosed vs Urelle a while back that you might find interesting:
                  http://www.ic-network.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64271

Your diet sounds about as bland as mine has been. Yesterday I had oatmeal for breakfast, scrambled eggs with toast for lunch, and homemade chicken soup for dinner. Coincidentally, I was planning on white spaghetti with hamburger for dinner tonight. I drink milk with my meals but otherwise have been sticking to water throughout the day.

Yes, certain foods do set my symptoms off, but the foods that I must totally avoid make up a pretty short list. I've found that as long as my IC is behaving there are many things I can sample in small amounts without consequences. Occasionally I misjudge that and get into trouble though. Generally, I stick fairly close to the bladder friendly column of the IC diet on this site.

If you're 'snowed in' I'm guessing you're in the north like me. I'm not currently in the snowed in mode and am keeping my fingers crossed it stays that way. Do you find that cold weather aggravates your symptoms at all?

Comment

Hi again, I am in Nevada, up north. We have had an unusual amount of snow this year. Usually we only have it about 3 or 4 times and it melts by noon. We are in the high desert. My husband and I moved up here from CA about 11 yrs. ago. If you would like to e-mail me at my personal address you are welcome to do so. I would love to have the support and would love to correspond with you. Thanks for helping me out today Vicki, it's been helpful. Judy Gee
                    [email protected]

Comment

I like northern Nevada but you do get the weather in that high country! And it seems this year you've really been taking a beating!

Last year my hubby & I stopped in a little town and met some of the nicest people. Even though they had just closed their store for the night they let us sneak in anyway to make a few purchases before getting back on the road. We drive through your state at least once a year.

I will be heading down to Nevada again soon, but flying to avoid those unpredictable road conditions this time of year.

My email: [email protected]
                      Last edited by VickiB; 01-03-2011, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Hi ladies, I am on Cystoprotek and Desert Harvest Aloe Caps. I have to say I started 2011 with a flare too. I have to tell you what helped me. I took 6 Desert Harvest Caps (they say you can do this when a flare comes on) and it totally took my flare away! If you need to, you can take another 3-6 in 4 hours, but I didn't have to. I think eating alot of junk over the holidays brought my flare on, but I am going to the doctor tomorrow to make sure I don't have an infection. I really hope this gives you girls some hope. I have been on both of these drugs 8 months now and they really do work. I have the occassional flare, but I ususally can always figure out why I'm having it. The heating pad works well also when I feel it coming on.

Comment

I'm so sorry that you guys were ringing in the New Year with a flare. I was too. I hope you're feeling better now, or at least soon! I hate this!!
                          Katie-46 yr old female dx'd with IC after 15 years of symptoms off and on long term antibiotic use, GERD,IBS and now IC diet, gallbladder removed, endometrial ablation w/tubes tied
                          Lexapro-20 mg
                          Aciphex
                          Ambien-as needed
                          Percocet-7.5 up to 3 per day as needed
                          Valium-10 mg x2 per day
                          Phenergan-1 at night
                          Prelief w/everything
                          Now recovering from acute pancreatitis

Currents treatments that help somewhat:
                          Heating pad
                          Hot baths
                          Ice
                          Being VERY still while lying down with legs elevated

Comment

Is it just me or does it also seem to you that it's especially unfair to have a flare during holidays?

Shopgirl & Katie, I'm sorry to hear you two were ringing in the New Year with a flare as well. Rotten luck!

I took 6 Desert Harvest Caps (they say you can do this when a flare comes on) and it totally took my flare away!
                            Was this the first time you'd tried this or has it worked for you before like that too? At one point I thought about ordering the Desert Harvest Aloe but then never followed through with it. I think I'll go ahead and give it a try now.

I hear you Katie,..I hate this too! Has your 2011 flare run it's course or are you still flaring?

Comment

Originally posted by VickiB View Post
                              Is it just me or does it also seem to you that it's especially unfair to have a flare during holidays?

Shopgirl & Katie, I'm sorry to hear you two were ringing in the New Year with a flare as well. Rotten luck!

Was this the first time you'd tried this or has it worked for you before like that too? At one point I thought about ordering the Desert Harvest Aloe but then never followed through with it. I think I'll go ahead and give it a try now.

I hear you Katie,..I hate this too! Has your 2011 flare run it's course or are you still flaring?
                              This whole thing is unfair!!! Holidays or no, I just can't get to the place where I'm adjusting to it. I didn't do anything wrong!! You didn't either!! Sorry. Been awake for too long and my righteous indignation is getting the better of me. I'm still in a flare. Or I guess, I'm just in my "life". I've been living it since October. Hope you feel better today!!
                              Katie-46 yr old female dx'd with IC after 15 years of symptoms off and on long term antibiotic use, GERD,IBS and now IC diet, gallbladder removed, endometrial ablation w/tubes tied
                              Lexapro-20 mg
                              Aciphex
                              Ambien-as needed
                              Percocet-7.5 up to 3 per day as needed
                              Valium-10 mg x2 per day
                              Phenergan-1 at night
                              Prelief w/everything
                              Now recovering from acute pancreatitis

Currents treatments that help somewhat:
                              Heating pad
                              Hot baths
                              Ice
                              Being VERY still while lying down with legs elevated

Comment

Working...
                              X