Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muscle cramping? Gas?

Hello,

So for the last 3 days I have noticed I have been having muscle cramping more than I used to. I never had anything besides feet/toe cramps. But yesterday I had a calf cramp that was so painful I had to get up out of bed. I notice when I stretch (like when I wake up in the morning) I have to be super careful because all my leg/feet/toe muscles feel like they are on the verge of cramping. I am 27 so it could be 'just getting older' I suppose, however I feel like it's too much of a coincidence. Can this be from just IC or my meds I am taking (listed below)? I have been on all of them (not taking Nucynta any longer) for a month. I know I am not dehydrated either because my urine is very dilute all day long.

Second question. For the past 2 days I have been experiencing gas pain and really awful smelling gas. Before yesterday I had gone 3 days with moderate amounts of garlic in my dinner meals. So I thought it could be that. Today I have not had any garlic but am still having mild gas pains (like bloating -- which with my IC belly I am used to) and still really foul smelling gas. While I don't pass it that often it is so bad I am afraid to go to my doctors tomorrow and stink up the whole place. For the past 6 months I have taken 1 benefiber pill a night (I experienced mild hemorrhoids 6 months back) to help keep my stools regular. Could IC or my meds made me tolerate so much fiber less? I am going to stop taking them every night to see if that helps.

I am worried to stop taking them though because I am prone to constipation (since I have noticed IC symptoms so for 2 months). Today I took 2 Prelief before dinner (I know it can cause constipation but I wanted to try it out) and a Beano meltaway. It helped a little but like I said I am still having really bad gas. I am not used to this. Even though I have mild IBS (only triggered by my period or massive stress) I have never had foul smelling gas. I am so paranoid everyone will notice tomorrow.

I have also read about Elmiron capsule coating causing gastrointestinal issues but I haven't seen anyone talk about gas. Maybe I'll try taking the powder with water tomorrow to see if it helps. I just think it's odd I have taken it for a month with no problems and then BAM this.

Any suggestions? I want to steer clear of Pepto for at least a while. I was on it a lot before my IC diagnosis and it caused major constipation for me.

I should also mention I have been feeling the need to urinate a little bit more these past few days. Not every 5 minutes like I had with my active flare but every hour or so and every 2-3 hours while sleeping. I am thinking it's because all that gas is squishing my bladder or irritating it somehow. I have no pain though.

My period is also a week late which isn't helping matters I don't think. Though I am not suprised by that; with all the drugs and tests and stress of the past couple of months I don't expect it to be normal for a little while if ever.

Even though garlic is usually IC safe, it causes me severe gastric distress. I can get away with small amounts occasionally, but not much at a time. And it can take me three or four days to recover.

I hope you're feeling better this morning.

Donna
    Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
    Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

I've experienced the gas that you've described during my period or when I'm really constipated. Maybe your period being late has something to do with it. I read that hormonal changes really affect the tummy. I am ultra-sensitive to hormonal changes and if I'm not careful prior to my period I am socked with pain, gas, bloating.

I'm wondering if you didn't contract a mild tummy bug. My children and I got a mild bug not too long ago and two of us experienced the gas you described. Maybe you've eaten something that didn't agree and your stomach is trying to recover. I've found to recover quickly, eating very mild food helps.

For me, if I eat a green pepper, or any amount of red beans, I am done for! It wouldn't surprise me that garlic would cause a gas problem. I googled garlic and gas and read that in some people it even cause diarrhea. But I suppose it depends on how much you've had.
      Frances

Diagnosed: 2011 - have had symptoms for over 20 years. Diagnoses so far: Overactive Bladder, then IC, and now Myofacial Pelvic Pain Syndrome.

Medicines: For IC am doing PT, and will be taking Gabapentin, Ativan, Tramadol and Ambien. Ice packs and drinking vanilla shakes help. Foods that cause a flare, tomatoes, yogurt, coffee, soda, all sports drinks, and most teas. Take Verapamil, Naproxen (as needed), Omeprazole, Frova (as needed) and receive Botox shots(every three months) for migraines. For allergies I use Claritin and Flonase. (Feel free to ask me any questions about meds.)

Other conditions: Migraines, allergies, mild IBS.

"If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." (Matthew 21:22)

Comment

I really hope it's the garlic but as each hour passes since I ate some and the bloating/gas feeling and foul smelling gas persist I am growing less hopeful it was the garlic.

The gas and bloating are the worst before bed and when I first wake up. Always a lot of gas at these times. And when I wake up I have diharrea without fail but none the rest of the day.

I am so depressed. As if the IC itself wasn't enough now I am going to be like a social outcast.

Comment

It's interesting that it's before bed and upon rising. Is there anything else new that you ate. Did you eat any fast food over the last few days. That gives me gas sometimes. Heck, even food that is seemingly healthy can cause major gas issues. I'm really thinking your late period could be a major cause.
          Frances

Diagnosed: 2011 - have had symptoms for over 20 years. Diagnoses so far: Overactive Bladder, then IC, and now Myofacial Pelvic Pain Syndrome.

Medicines: For IC am doing PT, and will be taking Gabapentin, Ativan, Tramadol and Ambien. Ice packs and drinking vanilla shakes help. Foods that cause a flare, tomatoes, yogurt, coffee, soda, all sports drinks, and most teas. Take Verapamil, Naproxen (as needed), Omeprazole, Frova (as needed) and receive Botox shots(every three months) for migraines. For allergies I use Claritin and Flonase. (Feel free to ask me any questions about meds.)

"If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." (Matthew 21:22)

Comment

If this doesn't improve within the next two or three days, I suggest you see your doctor.

Donna
            Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
            Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
            Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
            [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

No new foods for me in the last 2 days. 5 days ago I tried Lucky Charms. I didn't experience a flare from it but I haven't had it since. So unless Lucky Charms stays in me for 5 days I really doubt it's that.

I am going to try some Imodium and see if that helps. I could have a bug or it could be from my period not happening too. I just don't know. If it doesn't go away soon I am going to start thinking it's the meds and I'll be depressed.

I have an IC group at my Uro tomorrow. On one hand I don't want to go if I am still feeling so gross but I think I will have t go because I might get a chance to ask my Dr. at meetings end. I don't think I could get a Dr. appointment any sooner than that anyway since it's not 'urgent'.

I guess it's homemade applesauce and dry toast for another day.

Comment

I really hope you feel better tomorrow!
                Frances

Comment

Thanks! *hugs*

I think the Immodium will be at least enough to get to my IC group/Dr. tomorrow!

Comment

Just an update.

Today I feel much better. I went to my IC support group and spoke with my Uro (totally forgot to mention my lack of period darn-- but if I last more than a month I will). Our plan is for me to have more probiotics in my diet. So a little plain yogurt every morning should help. He explained that the bladder can 'leak' and affect the bowels. (I don't know exactly what he was talking about but that's what I got from it. So he said it's the bladder causing problems both for the IC and IBS symptoms.

In my group someone suggested to take the caps of elmiron apart put the powder on a pear halve and eat it. I was doing it in water but I noticed some stayed on the bottom of the cup.

I got a free ice pack with holder (it's their favorite ice pack for IC -- it's a hospital grade one). I got free samples of Biotene products due to the Vesicare giving me dry mouth.

The ladies of the group were really nice and quite helpful. They told me since the diet's bringing me down the most I should try one of my 'no-no' foods. The reasoning being it's been a month for my bladder to heal a little and I am not in an active flare and I am getting sleep now. I got a caffeine free A&W on my way home with lots of ice. I took a Prelief and drank half of a small. It helped my mood SO much. I think the fact that they encouraged me to listen to my body and still live a little really helped me.

I was getting overwhelmed from research. I was falling in to the trap of "OMG that one person can't take that I shouldn't either." I really needed to take a step back and look at the big picture. Everyone with IC is different. Some people have food allergies that are separate from their IC but sometimes it all gets lumped together as an IC flare trigger. I need to stop reading so much and need to spend more time listening to my own body!

So far no flare from the RB but even if it does I needed that little piece of normalcy and will try it again in a month or 2. Living for today is really what I need to embrace.

Comment

I agree with you Andrea. I have been obsessing like you have. I think it's due to desperation and a STRONG desire to get well. So we hold on to anything that seems like a possible cure. Well...that's what I seem to be doing. But it can drive you mad!

I'm glad you are feeling better today. I have chronic stomach issues too and was hoping to hear what you said. I had no idea a bladder can leak. Gosh...the problems are neverending!
                      Frances

Comment

You're so lucky you have such a good support group where you are. I would need to travel an hour and a half to go to one and I'm pretty close to major medical centers. Can't figure out why there isn't more help around for this condition. I can't even find a counselor who knows how to counsel people with bladder problems. Glad to hear you're feeling a little better now. There are so many differences in how people heal from this it makes it really difficult to know what to do. It certainly is not a predictable condition with clear cut therapies. This is what makes it so frustrating.

Comment

Toto: Yep, that's exactly it. I have to find the balance between being cautious and being paranoid. I know I was in the latter the last few weeks.

Earth: I am very blessed for sure. The group meets at my Dr. office which is 10 minutes away. And then we have a larger group meeting every month and the hospital next door. I think that's why my hospital experience was so nice as well. They were all a least somewhat familiar with IC and let me go to the bathroom 10 times even if they did have to get all my covers off and unhook my IV stand etc. A lot of the staff at my Uro also have IC. It's very IC-centric which I wish more Uro locations could be to help people. All of us in our group are even signed up for IC drug trials that are happening soon.

Comment

Working...
                          X