Flare or Kidney stones???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flare or Kidney stones???

Anyone had kidney stones while they have had IC? I have had a sudden and drastic increase in my pain starting yesterday. It was hurting in my back about where my kidney is on the left side. In the night it radiated around front but this morning and all day it has been down low on the left side. Way low like almost in the groin area. The pain is radiating up and around to the back but severe down low in the front. I increased my water intake by a TON but now I am having trouble going pee. I hate to go to the ER or urgent care and be told it's just a flare up. After 9 years you would think I would know a flare! I had one kidney stone back in 2004 but the pain only lasted a few hours. Is it normal for it to be a couple of days or more? Thanks in advance!!!
    Live life to the fullest day to day. The best way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time!

DX: IC - November 2002 after hysterectomy
    Interstim implanted March 2006 - died May 2011
    Interstim replacement June 2011
    Meds: Pain meds, muscle relaxer, cystex, and marcaine bladder instills as needed.
    Docs: Pain management doc, urologist, family practice

I understand your confusion. Last December, my flare up had gotten increasingly bad. I could hardly stand the pain and the pain pills were barely doing anything. I suddenly started having blood in my urine, which frightened me, since my dad had just died from bladder cancer. His sympton was blood in the urine. My doctor first looked insided my bladder and it was red, etc. Then he sent me for a cat scan or MRI, Im not sure which it was...if it was an MRI, it was an "open" one. Anyway, it turned out to be kidney stones in addition to a flare. They gave me some more medicine to help them come out since they weren't really huge. I was relieved to know that all that pain wasn't strictly due to the IC.

Comment

I would go to the Dr. this could be a bad flare, but it sounds like it is not normal for you.

It could be a UTI and or kidney infection. If it is this the longer you wait to get treated the worse it gets. I have had UTI's that I have not realized I have as flares are so simular, I didn't know I had an infection till it had spread to my kidneys.

Yes kidney stones can take days to pass, I sent a week in hospital waiting for one to pass, finally the uro removed it.

I think this warrents you getting checked out, at the very least a UTI test.

Good luck MG
      My are with you all. May you all find a way to peace and joy in your lives.

Comment

Well I originally posted this almost a month ago. Thanks for your replies now though. I did end up in the ER because the pain was so bad. Turns out I have developed a rather large Hunner's ulcer on the left side of my bladder. I 've not had one of these before past when I was first diagnosed 9 years ago. So, I have been working through that and trying to figure out how to fix it without surgery. Thanks for your concern though! I do kinda wish it had been a stone so it would be over by now.
        Live life to the fullest day to day. The best way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time!

DX: IC - November 2002 after hysterectomy
        Interstim implanted March 2006 - died May 2011
        Interstim replacement June 2011
        Meds: Pain meds, muscle relaxer, cystex, and marcaine bladder instills as needed.
        Docs: Pain management doc, urologist, family practice

Comment

Sorry to hear this is what the problem is. I have been away and not around the computer much, I didn't even look at the date you posted it.

What have you been tring?

Are you seeing any improvement?

When I read your symptoms I thought it sound more than just a normal flare.

I don't know about stones they come back, looking back now I am sure that at least some of the times I was being told I had stones, in hind sight they were flares.

Hope you are feeling better MG
          My are with you all. May you all find a way to peace and joy in your lives.

Comment

Working...
          X