Scared: colonoscopy and flares

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scared: colonoscopy and flares

The gastroentologist has scheduled a biopsy (per my allergist's request to check for allergen sensitivities etc.). The gastro. also wants to perform a routine colonoscopy to check for polyps. However, I am pertrified that I might flare. He told me that it is ok to remain on my IC meds including Elmiron. However, I am petrified that the colonoscopy may trigger a flare. I am slowly coming off of a relatively mild flare this week. I only have two more heparin instills left after tomorrow. Whoo Hoo! I am managing my IC diet, allergies and stress. The momentum is there. I just don't want to slide backwards. Thoughts??? We are all in this together. Have a productive and pain free day.

Hi there! Just went through this last year. Most IC patients do just fine with the colonoscopy. If you do the Miralax prep, ask if you can use the blue Gatorade instead of the yellow or the orange.

Good luck! Sounds like they are being thorough!
    Julie Beyer, MA, RDN
    IC Dietitian, Patient Advocate, Speaker, & Author

Did you know that up to 94% of interstitial cystitis patients find some symptom relief when they change their diet, and that dietary modification is recommended as a first line treatment for IC? Check out the IC Food List to get started!

Do you need a little more help understanding the IC Diet? Schedule a phone or video coaching session through the ICN Store today.

You can also learn more while supporting the ICN message boards by clicking on these book covers and buying the Confident Choices books from the ICN Store:

........ ........

Other IC Diet Resources:

IC Diet Webinar
    IC Diet Website
    For Health Professionals: Continuing Education About Interstitial Cystitis and Diet
    Free IC Diet Booklet: What Can I Eat?
    Confident Choices IC Diet Blog
    IC Diet Newsletter

*Let's Connect!*

Comment

I also did the Miralax, Ducoloax, Gatorade prep and had no problems. My doctor permitted me to take Prelief with the Gatorade. You might want to ask your doctor if it would be okay for you to take Prelief.

I think the blue Gatorade may have been Arctic Ice (not sure).

With this prep, it is really easy to do. No bad taste!!!

Good luck.

Comment

I just picked up the colon prep. It is called MoviPrep. It has sodium sulfate, sodium chloride, POTASSIUM chloride, sodium ascorbate and and ascorbic acid. I will have to talk to my ob/gyn and ask if he thinks the chemicals will bring on a flare. MoviPrep...sounds more like a potential nightmare prep. YIKES.
        BTW: Whether I flare or not, colon cancer screening is an essential procedure. I will have to endure. Have a restful weekend.

Comment

If you find it offensive to drink, try drinking it through a straw. Also, ask the doc if you can chill the prep. Might make it easier to drink. .

I've never had the moviprep so I really can't say how it might taste.

Good luck.............I don't have to get another for 2 years and it is not something I look forward to getting done but ya do what ya gotta do.

Comment

I detest Gatorade, and recently got-off Elmiron.......even more reason for me to have flared with a colonoscopy prep. But I was fine - and I drank all the Gatorade I needed to

If you don't already know for sure if you are triggered by Gatorade, then ask your gastro for another method of prep. There are other paths.

Dx'd IC : 9/2010 Dx'd PFD : 4/2012

Currently on:
            *Back on Elmiron [100mg] + *Elmiron/Bicarb/Lido INSTILLS 2x weekly----*Nortrel Birth control--*MagOx400--*Nitrofurantoin (1 after intercourse to avoid UTI's)--*Prelief--*Prosed--*Clonizapem--*Flexeril 10mg--*Zyrtec
            *PT for IC&PFD - Both hands on/all-up-in-there approach, and the breathing techniques/stretching approach--- helpful, but difficult to continue at home and make time in daily life

Didn't work:
            *Nexium ,*Sanctura , *Enablex ,*Atarax ,*Allegra,*Arginine
            *Elavil (2 pills and I passed out, cold on the floor....)
            *Hydrodistention - Done by the best Dr, but did not prove to relieve any pain over long term at all
            *Gabapentin (DANGER - Caused suicidal thoughts, inconsolable crying & erratic behavior when mixed with Clonazepam & Flexeril)

Hair loss/thinning/breakage Elmiron 300mg daily caused to my hair.... it is NOT a slight side effect

Comment

I'm not ever going to do a colonoscopy unless there is blood in my stool. There are just too many 'preventive' tests, in my opinion. Mammograms, Pap Smears, Bone Density, on and on, ad infinitum. After all, we have to die of something!

Comment

Tucker's Mom who sounded just like me until a few years ago. I did not have blood but something else that was not normal.

They found the type of polyp (sp?) that could turn to cancer. If I had not had the colonoscopy I might be singing another tune now.

I remember my gyne telling me about 10 years ago that it was time for a colonoscopy. I told her that I had to die from something and it might just be that. Well, I was wrong. It is an important test.

Depending on the prep used, a colonoscopy isn't too bad.

Okay, it is now time to make an appt. for my mammo. Your post reminded that I am overdue for my mammo. Thanks.

Fran

Comment

The only reason I do Pap Smears and Mammograms is because, if I don't, my doctor will not continue prescribing the HRT that I'm on for Menopause. The HRT combined with Xanax keeps me sane.

I won't do a colonoscopy because I am not afraid to die, and I mean that. If I needed open heart surgery to save my life, I would not have it done. If I get cancer, I don't want treatments. I am ready to exit planet Earth, and am looking forward to it.

Modern medicine has many ways available to prolong life, I'm just not buying into it. I see people --- my parents, as one example --- who are still living into their 80's and 90's because they've had heart surgeries, etc. But what is the quality of their lives? They live in pain every day, and are quite miserable because of it. There is a reason our bodies age. We are progressing toward death, which is a natural part of the circle of life.

For those of you who love life and want to stick around as long as possible, by all means get the preventative tests done. I'm just stating my personal choice.

Comment

I don't know your age, colonoscpies have a big place in our preventative health care.

A friend of mine was doing something, he knew something was off with his bowel habits, but figured he would finish what he was doing, then go to the Dr.

So he put off going to the Dr by about a month, turned out he had colon cancer, and it had spread, he did end up dying from this, his Dr. said of course he could not say for sure but that month may have made a difference.

But ulimately our health care comes down to our decissions good or bad.

MG
                    My are with you all. May you all find a way to peace and joy in your lives.

Comment

The only problem I had with a colonoscopy was a rude physician! The prep wasn't fun and I did spend something like three hours very close to the bathroom, but there was no IC flare from it. When I am due for another I will go to a different doctor.

My husband had open heart surgery eleven years ago. It took about six months for him to recover, but it was so worth it. If I ever need this kind of surgery, I will definitely go for it.

Donna
                      Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
                      Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
                      Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                      [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Originally posted by Mothergoose View Post
                        I don't know your age, colonoscpies have a big place in our preventative health care.

A friend of mine was doing something, he knew something was off with his bowel habits, but figured he would finish what he was doing, then go to the Dr.

So he put off going to the Dr by about a month, turned out he had colon cancer, and it had spread, he did end up dying from this, his Dr. said of course he could not say for sure but that month may have made a difference.

But ulimately our health care comes down to our decissions good or bad.

MG
                        I am 55 years old.

Comment

I am 52 and I do hear you about the preventative tests. It sometimes seems like I am going to the doctors all the time.........but I had an inexpensive cardiac screening done last March that (via a long and convoluted way) ended up with me being diagnosed with an aortic aneurysm. If THAT isn't something you have to wrap your mind around! lol The good news is that I know and they are able to watch it. No more roller coasters/car accidents/lifting heavy things for me, but when it comes time I will gladly have the surgery. I don't have grandchildren yet, but God willing, I intend to hang around to rock a few before I pass on to the next life.
                          Julie Beyer, MA, RDN
                          IC Dietitian, Patient Advocate, Speaker, & Author

Did you know that up to 94% of interstitial cystitis patients find some symptom relief when they change their diet, and that dietary modification is recommended as a first line treatment for IC? Check out the IC Food List to get started!

Do you need a little more help understanding the IC Diet? Schedule a phone or video coaching session through the ICN Store today.

You can also learn more while supporting the ICN message boards by clicking on these book covers and buying the Confident Choices books from the ICN Store:

........ ........

Other IC Diet Resources:

IC Diet Webinar
                          IC Diet Website
                          For Health Professionals: Continuing Education About Interstitial Cystitis and Diet
                          Free IC Diet Booklet: What Can I Eat?
                          Confident Choices IC Diet Blog
                          IC Diet Newsletter

*Let's Connect!*

Comment

My mother has a 2 centimeter aortic aneurism. She just found that out this week. They are just going to keep a close eye on it for now. My mom had a major heart attack last Thursday evening. 100% blockage in one artery, which they stented. Once hospitalized she was diagnosed with double pneumonia. She has COPD/Emphysema really bad, and will be going home with a nebulizer and oxygen. My mom is 79 years old.

Comment

Boy not me,I'm certain my gastro Dr. caused my IC.
                              Never one problem with bladder until the procedure!
                              That very day I was in very bad pain and burning.
                              He still denies this but I know better!
                              Found out since how really unsafe & unsanitary a colonoscopy truly is!

Comment

Working...
                              X