RAISING IC and FIBRO AWARENESS AT HEALTH FAIRS AND EXPOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAISING IC and FIBRO AWARENESS AT HEALTH FAIRS AND EXPOS

I just read a post by Verdicries that today is Fibromylagia Awareness Day. It got me thinking, "I have heard of Awareness Days for various disesaes. but what is one suppossed to do on Awareness Days to bring attn to the cause?" I mean, I know we are suppossed to start by thinking about ourselves and then talk about it to other people. Also, if we have shirts for the cause, we should wear them with pride on those days. But, other than that, is there anything else that we should be doing?

That lead me to think about how to reach people that might have a given disease (like IC), and be looking for answers, not realizing what they have. (Like most of us did, when we went wandering from Dr. to Dr. for years.) Then, I realized that lots of large companies and lots of cities have Health Fairs and Health Expos!!! I know my husband works for our city and the City always has one every year. Our local hopsitals also each have one a year. At these, they always take blood to screen for high cholesterol, they take blood pressure, and screen for some things. They also have pamphlets and information about all sorts of things from excersize, nutrition, obesity, and so on! Those places would be the PERFECT places to get information out about IC and Fibro (and any other diseases or syndromes) you have and want to educate the public about.

All we'd have to do is contact the coordinator and ask to set up a table there. We could have food on our table, you know, little samples of the IC Diet. We could have brochures and pamplets on IC. IC Ribbons could be given away. Think of all the people we could reach to educate about it and how many may actually HAVE IC (or Fibro or other diseases), and not even know it! Having food there, we'd have the most popular booth too!

I am just thinking out loud here, and if it is stupid or not doable, then tell me what part and why. I dont know. This could be a really good idea, or a really bad one. So, what do you think?

Lastly,(in my town anyway), these events are usually covered by the local media. The newspapers and TV stations always show up and show a little clip. If we each did these on our towns, think of how much exposure we could bring to IC!

We could also have the Questionairre there that screens for IC. (I think it is called the PFT. Is that right?) I just think we could reach alot of people. And think about it, anyone who goes to a health fair is interested in hearing about health stuff, so it isnt like we are just "treeing" someone that doesnt want to hear about it and prattling on! We would only be discussing it with people who approached out booth to ask quiestions, (and eat our IC food. )

Thoughts???

That sounds wonderful Amy!

We could put together display packs for health fairs and include my IC Team shirts, copies of the cookbook, I'll publish the checklists, and when you buy the magnets, pins, and stickers with the IC ribbon on them, they are far less expensive to buy them in boxes of 100! I also already am set up to do the brochures and pamphlets, as well as newsletters because I do all that for the home inspectors already! I get great discounts for being a member of the home inspection association!!!

Wow, what a great idea! I'll tell you what. I'll put together the pack and then price it at a discount for those who want to buy them already put together in a kit to use at these fairs! I'll even find a way to get tablecloths and banners,etc. as well!

Awesome! This is getting exciting!
    http://www.TheCraftyEwe.etsy.com

Comment

I think it's a great idea, Amy. I don't know of any annual health fairs around here, but there must be. I'll have to start paying attention.
      Je vous souhaite de la joie, de la bonne santée, et tout ce qu'il y a de bon dans la vie.
      Wishing you happiness and good health, and all the best out of life.

Peace, Carolyn

Laura (11), Susannah (12 1/2) and Maman (that's me!), North Wildwood NJ, September 2007

On the Beach with IC

Comment

Amy,

You always have the best ideas. I'd like to add Vestibulodynia and Pudendal Nerve Entrapment to the Awarness Fair. It's a "touchy suject" which is exactly why it needs to be talked about. I'd be happy to speak about it. If it saves just one person from pain and suffering.

Kara
        Complex Case: Severe IC 1999, Interstim 2001, Endometriosis 2001, End Stage Refractory IC 2002, Bladder Removal (Cystectomy) 2002, Gall Bladder Removal 2005, Infertility 2003, Urethra Removal, Bladder Reconstruction (Urethrectomy/Indiana Pouch) 2006, Celiac Disease 2007, Adhesion Disease 2007, Pudendal Nerve Entrapment, Ovarian Cysts, Vestibulitis, Vulvodynia, Total Vestibulectomy and removal of both Skene's Glands, 2007 and Coccydynia 2007. Fibromyalgia and, Chronic Myofascial Pain Syndrome both in my neck and knees, 2007, PNE Decompression Operation May, 2009.Multiple Chemical Sensitivities, Anesthesia Awareness (to awaken during operations)Pudendal Nerve Decompression Surgery, Revrse Uterine Sling, Sept. 2011

"One hour at a time, this was NOT my American Dream but it has to work out somehow."

I also have some journals of my journeys, past and some present at:
        http://karasnewblog2008.blogspot.com/ and http://icnkaralynn.blogspot.com/

Most of my Journaling now is currently on Facebook. These are old and my ICN Patient story is very old and outdated.

Comment

Kara,

Do you want me to design a special shirt for you?

Comment

Moonheart,

I will consider it. I will be happy to PM you regarding how something like this could be done.

Thank You for being such a wonderful help to all of us!

Kara
            Complex Case: Severe IC 1999, Interstim 2001, Endometriosis 2001, End Stage Refractory IC 2002, Bladder Removal (Cystectomy) 2002, Gall Bladder Removal 2005, Infertility 2003, Urethra Removal, Bladder Reconstruction (Urethrectomy/Indiana Pouch) 2006, Celiac Disease 2007, Adhesion Disease 2007, Pudendal Nerve Entrapment, Ovarian Cysts, Vestibulitis, Vulvodynia, Total Vestibulectomy and removal of both Skene's Glands, 2007 and Coccydynia 2007. Fibromyalgia and, Chronic Myofascial Pain Syndrome both in my neck and knees, 2007, PNE Decompression Operation May, 2009.Multiple Chemical Sensitivities, Anesthesia Awareness (to awaken during operations)Pudendal Nerve Decompression Surgery, Revrse Uterine Sling, Sept. 2011

"One hour at a time, this was NOT my American Dream but it has to work out somehow."

I also have some journals of my journeys, past and some present at:
            http://karasnewblog2008.blogspot.com/ and http://icnkaralynn.blogspot.com/

Most of my Journaling now is currently on Facebook. These are old and my ICN Patient story is very old and outdated.

Comment

Oh you are so welcome Kara!

You guys give me purpose you know?

Hugs,
              Moonheart

Comment

Working...
              X