Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips to survive holiday shopping and parties

Happy Holidays Everybody!

I'm going to start this topic with a few ideas for getting through the holidays with less stress and then I invite all of you to post your own tips as well.

1. Going out in the cold and facing the crowded shops at Christmas time can be brutal, so when possible I try to do my Christmas shoping from catalogs and through the Internet. That way the bathroom is close, I can stay warm and cozy too. Lots of websites and catalogs do have several items that are great, but don't cost much, plus sometimes you get a discount on shipping if you order a certain amount.

2. Do you or your friends have a talent for making things? Making your own gifts is meaningful, again, it keeps you at home near the bathroom, and it can help you stay on a budget. One of my friends, Laurie, has a soap business. She works at home, but sells (and ships) her all natural soaps to all kinds of people and businesses. She makes this yummy soap that smells like chocolate, and one that smells like a sugar cookie. This year I'm giving all my friends soaps made by Laurie. It was a great and easy way to do some of my shopping. Laurie can be reached at: [email protected] Perhaps one of your friends makes things that you can order from them to give as gifts.

3. Start holiday baking in advanced. Once baked, many pies and cookies can be stored in the freezor for up to 3 weeks. Instead of doing all your holiday baking in 2 days, try spreading such projects out over a few weeks. Then you won't wear yourself out, or stress yourself out.

4. Intead of a big huge tree, try buying one of those smaller, already decorated trees that many places sell now. Or invite a few friends or family over to help you with the decorating.

5. If you are having a holiday party, or have to cook a big Christmas dinner ask some of your friends/family to bring a covered dish. Also, try buying a few things (dips/cookies/bread...etc..) already made from the store to save yourself some work.

I hope those tips help you out and I look forward to hearing all of your great tips too!

Merry Christmas Everybody!

ICN Veronica (Victoria)
    www.angelfire.com/stars4/victorialcooksey

Hi and thanks for posting, some good tips to help us out through the Christmas season, without tearing our hair out. I think the internet is great, we can order, be comfortable, and the whole situation is bathroom friendly. I am definitely going to put some of the tips to good use, thanks again and best christmas wishes to you, hugs Iris hi grouphug hat
    Today and every day you are loved, so don't be anxious about tomorrow, God will take care of you tomorrow; Live one day at a time.

Comment

Veronica,
      Do you know of any web sites that offer free or low cost shipping? I tried to order some stuff yesterday and wound up cancelling the order when i found out how much the shipping was. Thanks, Tina C

Comment

Amazon has free shipping on book orders over $25. I don't know if it applies to non-book items, though. Seems like I heard once that Old Navy had free shipping over a certain amount, but it may have been a promotional thing.
        Kim

Diagnosed August 2001

Current IC meds: Elmiron (since 2001), Levaquin (one pill after intercourse to prevent UTIs), Effexor (for depression & anxiety)

Past IC meds: Amitriptyline (Elavil), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril), Detrol LA, Lexapro (for depression & anxiety, but also helped my IC) (They all helped, but I was able to discontinue them.)

I've been virtually symptom free and able to eat & drink whatever I'd like for about 8 years now.

“We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.” ~ Viktor Frankl

“You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you.” ~ Brian Tracy

Comment

Amazon is also toy's "r" us and I waited for free shipping. I did almost all of my shopping on line this year. There is no way with 5 kids w/spouses, 2 sets of parents and 11 grandchildren that I could physically shop.

Great ideas Veronica I don't put up the big tree anymore. I've got 4 or 5 small ones setting in the kitchen and the livingroom. Funny thing about that was when I stopped putting up the big tree, not one person noticed it wasn't there lmao lmao My husband still has a problem with it but if he misses it so much, he can put the dang thing up and take it down....I just can't do it anymore.

I did manage to do something that's been on my list of things to do for about 8 years now. I went thru ALL of my Christmas things and I pitched at least 1/2 of the stuff....boy, did that make me feel good to clean up that clutter blink blink

Pretty soon it will be Dec 26 and none of this will matter wink
          teri
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow".

Comment

Hi! I think that Barnes and Nobles sometimes has free shipping if you order $25 or more worth of stuff.

www.chefscatalog.com also has free standard shipping right now...no minimum order!! That website has all types of kitchen gear/gadgets...

Also, when catalogs come, sometimes they will say free shipping over a certain amount of dollars spent.

Another thought...are there any stores in your area that deiliver? That might add some savings...or maybe you could make a list of items you want and then have a friend or relative go pick them up for your. You could even call a store, have them reserve and item for you, and then that way your friend could run in really fast and get it for you.

The same could be done for holiday parties...call the grocery store and order breads, veggie trays...etc...and just run in and pick them up they day they are ready.

Hope this helps!

Veronica

Comment

KBee has free shipping if your order totals $75.00. Those toys add up real fast.

Ginny

Comment

Overstock.com has shipping on all orders for 1.00 during specials and 2.95 the rest of the year.
                I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                X