This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FDA Issues Safety Alert on Duragesic/Fentanyl Patches

The FDA is investigating a number of deaths associated with the use of Duragesic and Generic Fentanyl patches. A time release patch, this medication is only used by patients struggling with long term pain and should not be mixed with alcohol and various other medications. Please review this safety alert if you are using this product.

http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug/advisory/fentanyl.htm

Jill
    Would you like to talk with someone about your IC struggles? The ICN now offers personal coaching sessions that include myself, Julie Beyer RD on the diet and Dr. Heather Howard on Sexuality. http://www.icnsales.com/icn-personal-coaching/

Looking for books, magazines & reports on IC? Please visit the ICN Shop at: http://www.icnsales.com: Your ICN subscription & purchases in our shop support these message boards, chats and special events. BECOME AN ICN ANGEL TODAY!

Please remember that the information on the ICN is provided with the understanding that ICN, its founder, staff, volunteers, and participants are not engaged in rendering medical or professional medical services. We cannot and do not give medical advice. Only your personal physician can do this for you.

Now I know why I ended up in the ER 36 hrs after starting my new 75mcg patches!
    Why didn't the hospital know about this??It is frustrating, the disease won't kill me,but I'm not sure about the treatment.The ER DR. gave me Narcan(sp) the drug they give herion overdoses.That was a horrible experience, I vomited for hours,and I was treated like a drug abuser. Ihave nevertaken an extra pill of anything because I'm afraid of overdosing.
    The Dr. who prescribed them thought I was allergic to Fentanyl, because of the reaction, but I bet it was just what the FDA warning was about.
    Sure have to be proactive.
    Proverbs 17:17 A true companion is loving all the time and is a brother/sister that is born for when there is distress
    Support American Cancer Society Relay for Life
    http://Relayforlife.org
    Living life on hope and a prayer.
    To read me and my family's story
    http://ic-network.com/patientstories/sonja.html
    Spinal surgery 04/06
    Interstim implanted12/04
    interstim removal 12/05
    Hysterectomy 1998
    Bladder surgeries due to hysterectomy,'98,99,00,01
    DXx with IC w/ Hunners 1999
    Chronic Pelvic pain
    Chronic fatigue
    Fibromyalgia
    Depression/post traumatic stress syndrome
    IBS
    Migraines(OOPPSS WRONG) DX on August 28 with focal seziures, NOw on Zonegram for seizures

Treatments...Done 'em all, but still looking out for the one that is my magic bullet.
    Weekly or as needed instills w/ elmiron/lidocaine/bicarb

Meds:various pain meds,Soma (muscle relaxant)
    Lunesta,Premarin,Clonazepam,Inderall,Relpax,Cymbalta
    and a few others I'm sure,depending on how good I have been on my IC diet.

Trying to keep a positive attitude, in a negative world.

Best treatment of all, Good Friends who Understand

Comment

Duragesic

Hi! I'm brand new here and just read the Duragesic alert. I have been on the patches for 4 years now and have never had a problem. They have actually been a lifesaver for me, the pain would be unbearable without them. Even with the pain meds, my IC pain is so bad that I cannot wear pants or underwear and this morning while taking my shower, just the water hitting my abdomen was excruciating.

Comment

I have been on the duragesic/fentanyl patches for about a year now, and they have been a life-saver for me too. My IC pain was not responding to anything until I started using the patches. At least my life is bearable now.

Comment

I am also another ICer who has found the best pain relief with Duragesic! Thankfully
          "You are never alone,once you have found this site"

Comment

I'm now trying these patches for the third time. I started off this time on 25 mg and I'm doing well on them its been a little over a week now. I'm also on perocets 10.325 for breakthrew pain.
            However I was aware not to mix some medicine and other things with this drug since i've tried it in the pass.
            I'm very glad you shared this with us Jill people need to know not with just medicine but all medicine they need to be careful what they mix with there medicine the outcome could be deadly.
            ALWAY'S talk to your doctor or the drug store that fills your medicine about other medicine you are taking even over the counter medicine they need to know. Exp. if you use diff. drug stores.
            Even if its a herb they need to know.
            I can't stress this enough. My husband is the super. at a Cematary and hears all type of these story from family members that lost a loved one. Only if they had knew maybe the outcome wouldn't had ended up in a deadly way.
            Medicine taken daily or as needed:
            1. Heaprin and Marcaine rescue installment 1 to 3x daily as needed.
            2. MS.Cotin 100mg 3x daily
            3. MSIR 30mg 1 or 2 every 4-6hrs as needed for breakthrew pain.
            4. Fentanyl 100 mg Change every 48hrs.
            5. Gentamicin 80mg install after each rescue treatment
            5 Leviquin 500mg self start as needed.
            6. Klonopin 1 or 2 daily as needed.
            7. Prosed/DS as 1 every 6hrs as needed.

I have IC, but IC doesn't have me anymore!

Comment

Be Responsible

Fentynal has been a life saver me me too!!! Too often people do not take their med's as prescribed and cause a huge scare for the rest of us when something goes wrong. My biggest fear is loosing access to Fentynal because someone else was negligent in using it. And I doubt there is any drug on the planet that that is absolutly safe for everyone. We, with IC should know this better than most others because we have had to take so many.

Comment

The patch was a HORRIBLE experience for my whole family!

While I'm certainly glad that other posters here have found relief from the patch, the experience my family had with it was a complete NIGHTMARE. My husband is the one with IC in our house and decided to switch from Oxycontin to Fentanyl because he would forget to take his medicine at the appropriate time and end up with withdrawl symptoms. The patch was great in that he only had to remember it every three days. But from the moment he started using it until I made him quit about seven months later, he went from a warm, loving person to an angry, aggressive, depressed, suicidal individual who I barely recognized. If it weren't for the fact that his body became toxic from the medication, causing his feet to swell in the last month of use, I never would have put two and two together that it was his pain therapy that was causing this change. I really thought he was so miserable about having IC and not being able to work and engage life like other people that was causing this serious change. I was in tears all the time from things he said and did, and was ready to leave him because I just couldn't take it anymore. But I loved him and it hurt me to think about him suffering alone when I had a feeling that he COULD be helped somehow. Even though I wasn't sure how, I kept plugging away trying to keep our marriage and family together until the lightbulb went on, so to speak, and I realized it was the Fentanyl causing all this physical and emotional damage. The med DID take away his pain, so he didn't want to give it up, but he wasn't thinking straight because of the power of the drug, so I somehow convinced him to talk to his doctor about it. Once I got him to the office, he was able to think more clearly and realized that it wasn't his fault that all of this was happening (because he'd experienced depression before), and so he willingly switched back to his Oxycontin, even though it meant watching his medication times closely again and fearing miserable withdrawl symptoms should he forget. I can't tell you how relieved we BOTH were when just a few days later the "old hubby" started emerging again. He really THOUGHT he was feeling "natural" emotions, (and I think he was feeling ASHAMED that he couldn't seam to control his depressive urges), so it was awesome to see his "essence" re-emerge and see him able to smile and laugh again. We've all heard of marriages breaking up because one or both people have illegal drug additions. But in all my years, I NEVER once thought a marriage, let alone MY marriage, would be so seriously challenged by a legally prescribed medication. I feel for everyone who has a bad experience with Fentanyl, and am SOOOO happy that the FDA has finally put out a warning about this extremely strong, potentially volatile drug.

Comment

I am happy so many are finding pain relief with patches, but it is so important to report any adverse reaction to medication, especially such for those medications that have to be taken very carefully. Schedule 2 drugs are serious medications and I take them daily. I would never as the one post said be "negligent" about the use of ANY medication. But I do feel that as a human being we are charged with the well being of our fellow women and men and that requires that if I have a adverse reaction to a potentally deadly medicine that I report it.
                  I also fear losing access to the pain medication I need due to the abuse of it by others , who use it as a recreational drug. But we still can't hide and not report negative experinces, we have to be responsible to ourselves and others. Report abuse if you know of it, support the proper use of the medication and support those who also need these important medications.
                  It is a shame that some people use our helpful, needed medications just to get high, we went thru a huge deal when a very well known conservative radio personality was abusing oxycontin. I had alot of problems and inconvienence after that happened when I tried to fill my own RX for oxycontin.I am not sure why oxycontin and morphine are such popular street drugs (I have NEVER felt high), but I hear that if you take them and you are not in pain you can get high. What a stupid thing to do. Wouldn't we all love to NOT have to take these Meds?
                  Getting rid of the medication won't solve the problem,getting rid of the abusers of it would help. I don't believe the person I spoke of earlier got suffecient punishment for his abuse of the system of getting controlled RX's. How did he do that, I can barely get enough for a month at a time, and he just forged RX's and DR shopped?
                  These are triplicate RX's, where is the watch, so that WE WHO NEED THEM don't get treated like drug addicts when we go to get them.
                  Sorry for the rant, it just upsets me the way we are treated, we get the bums "Rush" if you know what I mean.
                  Proverbs 17:17 A true companion is loving all the time and is a brother/sister that is born for when there is distress
                  Support American Cancer Society Relay for Life
                  http://Relayforlife.org
                  Living life on hope and a prayer.
                  To read me and my family's story
                  http://ic-network.com/patientstories/sonja.html
                  Spinal surgery 04/06
                  Interstim implanted12/04
                  interstim removal 12/05
                  Hysterectomy 1998
                  Bladder surgeries due to hysterectomy,'98,99,00,01
                  DXx with IC w/ Hunners 1999
                  Chronic Pelvic pain
                  Chronic fatigue
                  Fibromyalgia
                  Depression/post traumatic stress syndrome
                  IBS
                  Migraines(OOPPSS WRONG) DX on August 28 with focal seziures, NOw on Zonegram for seizures

Treatments...Done 'em all, but still looking out for the one that is my magic bullet.
                  Weekly or as needed instills w/ elmiron/lidocaine/bicarb

Meds:various pain meds,Soma (muscle relaxant)
                  Lunesta,Premarin,Clonazepam,Inderall,Relpax,Cymbalta
                  and a few others I'm sure,depending on how good I have been on my IC diet.

Trying to keep a positive attitude, in a negative world.

Best treatment of all, Good Friends who Understand

Comment

Fentanyl took 3 years of my life away. I was a depresses, suicidal, zombie that just wanted to die.

Kara
                    Complex Case: Severe IC 1999, Interstim 2001, Endometriosis 2001, End Stage Refractory IC 2002, Bladder Removal (Cystectomy) 2002, Gall Bladder Removal 2005, Infertility 2003, Urethra Removal, Bladder Reconstruction (Urethrectomy/Indiana Pouch) 2006, Celiac Disease 2007, Adhesion Disease 2007, Pudendal Nerve Entrapment, Ovarian Cysts, Vestibulitis, Vulvodynia, Total Vestibulectomy and removal of both Skene's Glands, 2007 and Coccydynia 2007. Fibromyalgia and, Chronic Myofascial Pain Syndrome both in my neck and knees, 2007, PNE Decompression Operation May, 2009.Multiple Chemical Sensitivities, Anesthesia Awareness (to awaken during operations)Pudendal Nerve Decompression Surgery, Revrse Uterine Sling, Sept. 2011

"One hour at a time, this was NOT my American Dream but it has to work out somehow."

I also have some journals of my journeys, past and some present at:
                    http://karasnewblog2008.blogspot.com/ and http://icnkaralynn.blogspot.com/

Most of my Journaling now is currently on Facebook. These are old and my ICN Patient story is very old and outdated.

Comment

Hi all:
                      I Haven't been on line in here,for a while now. Ever since my MD put me on the Duragesic ( name brand) patches. PLEASE people, don't use the generic! My new Insurance company made me use the generic, (after 2 years of success on the name brand) and I ended up over dosing and I had successfully been on the 50's for over 2 years! This was why I wasn't in here, I had my life back...
                      I don't care what any one claims, the generic is not delivering the fentynol the same way. I believe it is the delivery on this (new) generic. It has taken (practically) an act of the Goddess to get them to listen. I went from just perfectly fine having a normal life, to feeling like a truck hit me and I couldn't breath. Generics are junk. I have always know NEVER to put more then one patch on since it takes about a month for the meds to stabilize in the system, at least it did for me at first. After that take them every time on time and you'll be fine. Good old fashioned GREED caused almost disaster, by the Insurance company. My MD took 2 weeks to even try to fix this mess while I suiffered and actually became ready to die. I couldn't take it any more, I pulled the patch off in desparation. After 2 years of pain free exsistance and having my life back....I just couldn't and wouldn't accept their cost saving measures at my expense. I screamed until I got someone to listen. I'm not giving up. I hope this saves someone elses life from Insurance company greed! Glad to be back, sanctuary
                      Never take a "No" from someone not qualified to give you a yes..

Comment

The Generic Fentanyl was bad for me too.

The same thing happened to me. As soon as the generics came out, my insurance would no longer cover the name brand Fentanyl. They gave me the generics and I had an allergic reaction immediately due to it's delivery system. I almost ended up in the hospital. I too was only taking 50mg. I immediately stopped and told the pharmacy that they needed to call my pain management clinic and demand a DAW (Dispense as Written) and for them to call my inusrance company to tell them that I was allergic to the generic. They thankfully complied and I was given my regular Fentanyl back and insurance covered it. I hated the generic!!! Fentanly Company needs to get their act together real soon or we are going to lose it altogether.

I'm not taking Fentanyl anymore because it made me severely depressed and I am trying to get pregnant. It did help the infection pain though.

Kara

Complex Case: Severe IC 1999, Interstim 2001, Endometriosis 2001, End Stage Refractory IC 2002, Bladder Removal (Cystectomy) 2002, Gall Bladder Removal 2005, Infertility 2003, Urethra Removal, Bladder Reconstruction (Urethrectomy/Indiana Pouch) 2006, Celiac Disease 2007, Adhesion Disease 2007, Pudendal Nerve Entrapment, Ovarian Cysts, Vestibulitis, Vulvodynia, Total Vestibulectomy and removal of both Skene's Glands, 2007 and Coccydynia 2007. Fibromyalgia and, Chronic Myofascial Pain Syndrome both in my neck and knees, 2007, PNE Decompression Operation May, 2009.Multiple Chemical Sensitivities, Anesthesia Awareness (to awaken during operations)Pudendal Nerve Decompression Surgery, Revrse Uterine Sling, Sept. 2011

"One hour at a time, this was NOT my American Dream but it has to work out somehow."

Most of my Journaling now is currently on Facebook. These are old and my ICN Patient story is very old and outdated.

Comment

I have to use 150 mcg of the fentanyal patches. this is the only thing that has ever helped at all and it barely does at that. I still have to take morphine 30 mgs every 8 hours too, and I am still homebound and crying constantly in pain. I didn't notice the connection untill now that I have been extremely depressed ever since I started the patch, but I don't know what else to do, nothing helps at all and I still have 1 and 1/2 months till my surgery. I have tried all the other pain killers. Oh this is hell!
                          Lara
                          Lara

Comment

Fentanyl Made Me So Depressed Too!

The Fentanyl made me so depressed I would sleep all night and all day until 6pm when my Husband came home. This went on for 3 years and then I said, no way.........NO MORE I WANT OUT! So I titrated down and went off of it for good. I will never touch that med again, even though it helped my pain. I lost 3 whole years of my life and every single one of my friends. They said that I sounded like a druggie while taking it and they didn't want to have any conversations with me.

Why does life suck so bad?

Kara

Comment

Fentanyl Hell

Fentanyl (Duragesic patch) put me and my family through absolute hell.

My wife and I almost divorced over it. I would swing between severely depressed to raging like a maniac. I was never physically abusive, but I could be very cruel verbally. I didn't know what the hell was going on with me. My wife (she posts under Pisces228) didn't either.

Then, after taking it about nine months--she remembers the time better than I do, it's kind of blurry for me--my feet suddenly swelled up about three times normal size. I started freaking out. It look like I had Congestive Heart Failure (at 33!).

When I went to my next Pain doc appointment and showed him my feet, his eyes bulged. So, right then and there he took me off the fentanyl and I went back to Oxys.

It was just the psychological effects, my skin started going nuts over the patches. They put Fentanyl in the adhesive of the patch (if you can believe that! ). That's why you should NEVER NEVER NEVER let anyone handle the patch but YOURSELF. It can easily absord into the system of anyone touching it, say your spouse. And, of course, keep it away from the kidlets.

It was the worst experience I've ever had with a medication.

And there's a good reason so many people have trouble with it. Fentanyl is 2000-3000 times stronger than heroin!. That's why its dosed in millionths of a gram. It very deadly stuff.

If, like me, you've had trouble with it, you should make sure that any time you're taken to the ER or start seeing a new doctor, that you tell them NOT to give you Fentanyl.

If you're already taking narcotics--as most of us ICer's are--then even 5mics of Fentanyl could kill you.

I carry around a card in my wallet listing what meds I take. ERs/Paramedics almost always search your wallet/purse looking for medical alert warnings. This simple precaution could save your life.

For those who get relief from Fentanyl (and it did work for my pain), power to you. But if you've started taking it and you've begun to notice you're flying into rages for trivial or no reasons or flashing into sudden deep depressions. Keep my story in mind.

I'm neither a physician or a pharmacist--I can only tell you what happened to me. Hopefully, my story can help someone.

Fentanyl's like nitroglycerin: handle with extreme care.

Comment

Working...
                              X