Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many have their pain managed by their urologist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• topcop229
    replied
    My uro manages my pain. And the nice thing is, I don't have to see him each month to get my scripts, I just have to call in and go grab it from their office (it's MS Contin, so they can't call it in or issue refills). Maybe you should hang on to your pain doc until after your visit with your new uro to see if she is willing to handle your pain meds.

Leave a comment:

• ihurttoo
    replied
    My Gyn treats my IC. He d/xed me with the Potassium Sensitivity Test, and did laproscopic surgery to remove the endo. He had a URo join him in the OR to do a cysto/hydro at the same time. But, since my IC is from nerve damage resulting from where the endo had grown thru the lining of my bladder, my Gyn treats my IC.

He prescribed the pain meds for me for a few years, but it was not enough (at the time, it was 1 Lortab 7.5 a day.) Then, I pressed him at how it was grossly inadequate for the pain, so he and I decided that it would be best to see a pan mgmt Dr. b/c my Dr. didnt feel comfortable prescribing anything besides a breakthru med. He did say if something happened and that Dr. didnt prescribe meds or something, then he would feel comfortable prescribing 4 Lortabs a day, but didnt feel knowledgable enough about 24 hr extended release meds to put me on those, and felt that my pain would be treated best with those.

So, I see a Pain Dr. now at a Pain mgmt clinic. Unfortuately, the drive is a haul...5 hours round-trip. But, at least I know I will get the meds without begging or having to go thru my whole case, month after month.

I hope you find someone that will treat your pain and get it under control soon.

Hugs,
    Amy

Leave a comment:

• Claredale
    replied
    I have been to 3 different Uros since my IC was diagnosed several years ago. They have always handled my pain meds. I have tried the longer acting pain meds, but Lortab seems to work the best for me. We are just trying to find something that will work through the night since my pain really flares during the night. Right now I am on Lyrica, Valium, Amitriptiline and Lortab, plus my sleep med.

Leave a comment:

• mary124
    replied
    I have a pain management doc who handles my pain. The only thing that my Uro gives me is the Elmiron. When I was there last month, he suggested that when I see my family doctor next time that I get a muscle relaxer -- why he wouldn't prescribe it I don't know. (fortuntely, I didn't have to wait that long, as my pain management doc prescribe Zanaflex for me, its not helping and she told me when I see my family doctor next week to ask him for something else.)

Leave a comment:

• Sarojini
    replied
    I used to have my urologist manage my pain when I was living in TN; when I moved to NC, my urologist offered to manage it but we decided it would be too much of a pain to drive 45 minutes to an hour every month to get a new prescription. So, we found a pain clinic closer to my home that would manage me.

Leave a comment:

• dodgewoman
    replied
    I also see a urogyn. They specialzie in IC and PFD. They will prescribe pain meds but I don't need anything really strong.

Leave a comment:

• Trishann
    replied
    My primary doctor gives me pain pills for other health reasons and it helps my bladder also, so there is no need to ask for pain pills with my uro.

Trishann

Leave a comment:

• Babs RN
    replied
    I see a pain management doc and have been stable on the same meds for 7 months. Most of the uros I have seen will not do long term pain management.

Hugs,
    Barb

Leave a comment:

• ICLori
    replied
    My Urogyn is currently prescribing me tramadol (Ultram) to the tune of 30 a month. He didn't really want to, but I insisted (big drama.) Don't know how long he will continue to help me out. We will see. I mostly only need the meds during/before/after my period, but on those days, I need more than one Ultram, so I end up using close to all the 30 a month when all is said and done.

Blessings,
    Lori

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    replied
    My uro manages my pain. I don't need high-powered full time medications, however.

Donna

Leave a comment:

• tigger_gal
    replied
    I love you puggy

my doc will treat my pain, but seeing I have pther issues that require pain meds, I don't bother asking him, I let my reg doc handle that department.

Leave a comment:

• Claredale
    replied
    My uro manages my pain as well. I haven't had any problems getting the meds I need most of the time. I am just not used to having to go every month. My prior uro used to give me enough for 3 months and I only had to see her if I needed an implant adjustment or had other problems. She has moved to the other end of my state now, but she recommended this new doctor instead of the one that took her place. I saw her a couple of times and couldn't stand her and I don't think she knew that much about IC either!

Leave a comment:

• MerryBerryMoose
    replied
    My uro is the one that gives me my Tramadol. He refuses to give me anything stronger. His justification is he doesn't want me adicted to anything. I can sort of understand that.

My first uro I saw would give me Rx after Rx for narcotics and thought the pain was all in my head (even after HE diagnosed me)...that was confusing and why I switched.

Leave a comment:

• hawkbabe143
    replied
    Mine does..Knock on wood, I'm waiting for some to be approved! I dont need the marcotics very often, once every 6 months or so. So he is usually ok about refilling for me.

Leave a comment:

• SandyRN
    replied
    Most uros won't rx pain meds because they don't understand them and lots of them don't believe in them. If you've got a good pain mgmt doctor that listens to you and controls your pain youre better off staying where you are rather than taking the chance of messing up a good thing by switching doctors. It's really hard to get a pain doctor to understand why our bladders hurt us so badly. If I were you I'd stay where you are. I understand about the 2 copays, but it's better than trying to convince someone all over again that you need pain meds.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X