Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

About MS Contin or Oxycontin,? for those who take it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About MS Contin or Oxycontin,? for those who take it!

I am curious about MS Contin or Oxycontin because I have never taken either. As of right now my pain is only managed part of the time. I have been taking Norco for the longest time 4X a day as needed. Well I told my Pain Management Dr at my last appt that the Norco did not last long enough so she told me to add Ultram 2X a day. I was hoping that she would switch my meds to something else but she did not.Well it was okay taking the Ultram but even still I am in pain. How does MS Contin or Oxycontin compare to Norco or Percocet? Is it alot stroger and does it last longer? Is it a higher schedule narcotic and maybe that is why my PM Dr has not recommended it? I really do not want to go on such heavy drugs because of the fear of withdrawels one day(already went through withdrawels from hydrocodone once and it was a nightmare) but I want to have a life also. Right now I am dragging myself in pain, no energy,and cannot work anymore. I am severely depressed because I do not have complete relief not even for a little while and everything is such a task right now and takes so much out of me. I have been on the couch for days and this is not me. I have always been very active.Since I have been sick I have went from 110 lbs to 141 lbs!!! The thought of me being like this forever is not worth living.Does anybody have complete pain relief or does your meds just take the edge off? Should I ask for Oxycontin/MS Contin? How does it work for you? Please HELP!

Honestly, oxycontin and MSContin have given me a life...well, a better life than I had before the meds. They're long acting and helped me a lot better than simply taking the norco 4x a day. I used to be on Oxycontin 80 mg 2x a day and Norco 4x a day. It helped for a while, and it did take me a while to get to that dose of oxycontin....after we found that it worked for me I stayed at that dose for a long time. The only thing we changed was the norco to oxycodone IR 10mg 4x a day. Then I was on that for a while. What has ultimately helped me the most is my combo of MSContin 60mg 3x a day, oxycodone IR 10mg 4x a day, along with muscle relaxers during the day and a different, more sedating one at night. Most doctors would prefer that you take the long acting meds because they do not cause as much "dependency" issues as the short acting ones. Meaning you do not need to increase the dose as often on the long acting ones as you do the short acting ones.

At your next appt, I would talk about how your pain is not being controlled for a long enough period durning the day and that you would like to try something long acting like oxycontin or mscontin. You could even try the duragesic patch. I found that the newer patches work much better than the old ones from a year or so ago, and they do stick better. But, I also found out that my metabolism eats up the medication in the patch and by the 3rd day, and time to change the patch to a new one, I was in so much pain I could not function.

To me, pain management means your pain is MANAGED and that you do not have to live your life on the couch 24/7 because pain is ruling your life.

I'm on a roll today, can ya tell? LOL

I hope this helps you out......and let us know what the doctor says.
    *IC-- Summer 2004; PFD--October 2005
    *Fibro--Fall 2000; CFS-- Fall 2000
    *MPS--Fall 2000; Crohn's disease-- 1997*IBS,GERD, *Migraines, hypothyroidism, GYN problems *Degenerative Disc Disease/scoliosis

Total Abdominal Hysterectomy--adenomyosis--9\08

04/17/09 Crohn's disease almost killed me with a combo of extreme constipation from pain medications. My bowel ruptured, I almost died from peritonitis and spent several days in the ICU then more in a private room on the floor. If you have any questions about severe constipation from pain meds please don't hesitate to send me a message.

Comment

Jessica,

I am sorry to hear that you are feeling so badly. I have had many times like that as well, and please try and turn to friends, family, or us when you are feeling really down. I know it doesn't feel like it sometimes, but life is definitely worth living!!!

I have never had norco, but I was taking hydrocodone 4 times per day, and it was not touching my pain. My doc tried methadone, but I was allergic, itching like crazy. So we moved to MS Contin, which is actually slow release morphine. I take 30mg three times per day. This is in addition to all my other ic/ pfd/ fibro meds, including elmiron, atarax, pyridium plus, lyrica, flexiril, and resteril, and lidoderm patches. The MS Contin and the Oxycontin are a higher schedule, they cannot be written for more than 30 days and can't be called in, so you will have to go pick up a script each month. Your doc may also have you sign a pain contract, if you haven't already.

Since taking the MS Contin, I do feel better, painwise. No, it's not gone, but it's significantly better. Sometimes, it's the combination of ALL your meds that makes the difference, so it's difficult to find the right match. But, hang in there...your doctor should be willing to help you find a set of medications that best helps your pain and other symptoms without making you a zombie. If your doc isn't willing to help, it may be time to find a doc that truly understands the pain of IC and is willing to help you with the right meds.

Know that we are always here for you in your down times (and anytime, really!). If you have felt down for a while, you may want to mention that to your doc, too, as you may be suffering from depression. Another med could help make you feel mentally better, which sometimes makes all the difference in the world.

Good luck!
      Claudia

~Claudia

"A heart is not judged by how much you love; but by how much you are loved by others."
      ~ The Wizard of Oz

"If I ever go looking for my heart's desire again, I won't look any further than my own
      back yard. Because if it isn't there, I never really lost it to begin with!" ~ Dorothy

Comment

MS Contin and Oxycontin

I tried Oxycontin about 2 years ago and it made me feel very strange. I think the dosage was too high. Actually, I'd like to try it again, but am about to change to a different PM doc, so it will be a while. I am currently taking MS Contin. I have tolerated it very well, with almost no negative side effects besides being a little forgetful. I don't feel drugged at all. I don't know if anyone out there has tried 'Avinza' which is Morphine in capsule form, but I had a severe reaction to it. Still don't know why, but I've infomed the FDA (MEDWATCH). Serious respiratory problems no matter what dosage I was on. Problems stopped when the medication worked it's way out of my system. Am fine now (except I am only at 60 pain control). Hope new doc is going to increase the MS Contin and go to a higher breakthrough med. Anyway, MS Contin is the best for pain control I've tried so far, without having all those nasty side effects.
        Dani

-Bladder surgery to correct reflux-'68
        -Terribly painful periods, [email protected] 13 (most likely due to endometriosis, no dx then)
        -4 gyn surgeries since 2003 to remove cysts, ovaries, endometriosis and uterus
        -DX'd w/I.C. before 3rd gyn surgery, but sure I've had it since childhood
        -Gastrointestinal allergies to nuts and shellfish - {I would like to know if there is some connection of gastro allergies to I.C.?}
        PTSD (sexual abuse by teenage boy when I was 4 and s. abuse by adult male who was friend of my Dad's - my parents still don't know)
        -DX'd with IBS in 2000
        -Rhabdomyolysis in 2001 (has not returned)
        -DX'd with Eosinophilic Esophagitis (Asthma of the Esophagus) 3/07
        -DX'd with TMJ in 2000-wear splint
        -Hydrodistention and Cystoscopy w/ biopsy of tissue in bladder-2003
        -DX'd with Epilepsy -2000
        -SSS (Selective Sound Sensitivity)-wear earplugs most of the time to screen out certain noises
        -DX'd with Fibromyalgia (2006)

Medications:MS [email protected],Hydrocodone-10/650:up to 4day,Levothyroxine,Soma,Clonazepam,Vesicare,Keppra (anti-seizure),Flovent FHA 220mcg (swallowed for E.E.),Elmiron,Instillations-5+per week for flares,Lidocaine,Cysta-Q,Prelief, Dulcolax,Baby Aspirin(for FM),God blessed me w/2 boys: Devin-14 and Logan-9, Jim, my husband of 18+ years who sort of understands what I.C. is...still working on educating him!, my springer spaniel "Wookie" ('cause he makes sounds like 'Chewbacca' from "Star Wars" when my son plays with him) and the most important 'medicine' of all...PRAYER...because ONLY God knows the answer to why we are all going through this awful I.C.!

Comment

Working...
        X