How To Handle Pain While At Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Handle Pain While At Work

I work At a restaurant and they are normally very nice to me. I do work for 8hrs a day on my feet thought. When i am in a flare or just in a lot of pain. What can i do to ease it. I cant take any pain pills my doctor want give me any except percocet and they dont touch it. I was going to be sent to pain management but they want see me till i am 18. I am 16 now that is 2 more years. I cant have my tens unit because it is a expensive place and we have costumers cant have them seeing it. What could i do to ease it. I have had to leave work twice because it hurt so bad.

I also have to be on my feet all day & can't be on pain meds at work (teacher). What has really helped me are instillation treatments. Most of the time, if I wake up flaring, I do a home treatment & an hour later, I'm okay for the day. I also sometimes take Pyridium or 1/2 Ditropan. And the stick-on heat patches sometimes help too.

I'll be thinking of you & hoping you find something that helps soon!
    Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
    I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
    Source - Pinterest
    "

Current treatments:
    -IC diet
    -Elavil 50mg at night
    -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
    -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
    -Pyridium if needed,
    -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
    -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
    -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
    -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
    -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
    -Managing stress= VERY important!
    -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

you are only 16 and have IC???

I am sooo sorry for you, i thought i was one of the youngest ones on here and i'm 25.

try the stick on heating pads and uristat that may help keep the pain away.
      Erika
      wife to Jeremy
      mom to Emma (3-8-05)
      and Natalie (7-23-07)

Meds i'm currently taking:
      Lortab as needed for pain

Meds that did not help:
      Detrol LA
      Lexapro (caused urgency)
      Amatryptaline 10mg once a day (helped IC but made me feel like CRAP)

Comment

Thanks I will try the stick on heat pads. Is there a certain brand That is better then others. Oh and yep 16 and have IC. I was diagnosed when i was barely 15 but I had had the pain for 2yrs without any help. All doctors just kept saying your fine to just the flu. I dont see how the flu and IC sound alike but i guess they do.

Comment

I know its no fun being young and having IC. I am 24 now but I've had IC since I was 19. All I can say is that with time you will learn what works for you. Read the IC handbook and survival guide for tips on easing pain and see what works best for you. You should also look through past posts for ideas on pain management.
          Good Luck!
          Janelle
          I am a soul whose intentions are good.
          Oh Lord please don't let me be misunderstood.

Comment

Jessied, the flu isn't anything like IC - that's just what doctors say when they don't know what's wrong with you!

Comment

Hey Jessie!

I am only 21, but I have been suffering since I was 16 too. If you ever need anything send me a message. Like the other ladies said, make the heating pad your best friend! It helps me but other people like cool instead. Good luck!

Erika
              IC diagnosed officially via cysto/urodynamics 1/26/07

Grade II Endometriosis diagnosed via lap 12/11/07

"Fall down seven times, Stand up eight."

"Life is a tragedy for those who feel and a comedy for those who think."

Current Treatments:
              Interstim Since 5/25/07!
              Birth Control

Comment

I work full time as a nurse and have had IC diagnosed for about 5 years now. I have pain management doc, and the long acting meds allow my pain level to be manageable enough most days to be able to function fully at work. I am lucky in respect to the fact that nursing has many different settings to practice in that allow me to accomodate this stupid IC.

I hope you find relief soon and that a pain doc is willing to treat you. I am saddened that a doc is using age as a discriminator to help you with your pain. GRRR.

Hugs,
                Barb
                (Babs passed away in April 2009. We honor her memory and remember her fondly. - Jill O. ICN President & Founder)

[SIZE="1"]Proud mama of a gift named Lindsey who taught me through her autism what is important in life:angel:
                :angel: IC Angel Volunteer Coordinator :angel:
                :) Contact me via PM or e-mail if you would like to help
                I have learned all about life in 3 words: It goes on! :D--Robert Frost
                PCOS 7/85
                RSD 7/94 :headbang:
                Endometriosis 9/98 :toilet:
                Antiphospholipid antibody syndrome 9/99
                Kidney stones--too many to count
                Factor V Leiden mutation 10/02
                IC 6/03 :evilsmile
                Deep Venous Thrombosis and Cellulitis 12/05 :loco: DVT and Greenfield Placed 3/14/08
                "Spirit is an invisible force made visible in all of life"--Maya Angelou
                "Ohana means family--no one gets left behind or forgotten." Stitch[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Comment

I take Motrin and use heating pads. Thank god I can sit for the most part at work. I am 25 and have had IC since I was 22 or so....or been diagnosed that is.

Now I am trying to get pregnant and am not able to take Neurontin anymore.

Diagnosed with IC 3-30-2003

Flare ups 1 time a month lasts for days.

Comment

Working...
                  X