No announcement yet.

B&O suppositories-need feedback for Dr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i was prescribed these after my first cystoscopy. during that cystoscopy, they roto-rootered my right ureter because it had "sludge" in it. so a day or so later, i was still having major spasms in the ureter. couldn't move at all actually. the dr prescribed the b&o's, and there was only 1 pharmacy in the entire dallas/fort worth area where i could find them. grrrrrr. anyway, long story short, i only used them a couple of times. they definitely took the pain away, but good grief, they are STRONG! they knocked me out cold within 15 minutes or so, and i slept for about 18 hours. when i woke up, i was able to move without pain, but not for long until the next round of spasms started.

after 3 attempts with the b&o's, i gave up. i was sleeping longer than my cats were, and that wasn't what i wanted. i'd rather be able to function without pain than just sleep through it. i still have the supprettes in case of emergency, but i doubt i'll ever use them again. heck, they've probably expired now. when i'm in horrible pain, i usually do my best to just fight through with lortab. the b&o supprettes just put me to sleep way too long. and i ended up with nightmares too. i was always dreaming i was taking a history test, but the answers kept changing because things were happening so fast.

good luck with them. around here, they are hard to find. the prescription has to be filled within a certain number of days because it's one of those heavy ones they have to file with the state or something like that. there were all sorts of weird things about it.
    holly
    IC dx in 2003 after depot lupron
    endometriosis dx in 2002 after years of infertility and pelvic pain
    graves disease dx in 1998 after thyroid storm

*geez*

currently trying vesicare and following the ho-hum "if it has any taste at all, spit it out" IC diet

Comment

Holly

Holly -what was the strenght of your B&O's. There are two dosages. 15A 30mg or 16A 60mg? I am very interested if the lower dosage of 30mg knocked you out that long.

Thanks!
      Amy

Comment

Thank everyone for their responses!

I have another question about the b&o's. I read in quite a few posts that people say they use them as last resort or don't use them that often. Is there any reason for this? Is it because you have limited supplies of them or because they have side effects that override their relief.

I have the 15A's now but have not tried them yet. But if they seem to work really well, then would you not want to use them the entire time you are in a bad flare. I mean if someone is taking everyday pain meds such as oxycontin or mscontin just for IC pain and they are still going through a very bad flare up and the b&o's work better then their daily meds are, why not take the b&o's for better relief until the worst of the flare is over and your daily meds are keeping on top of the pain again?

Like I have said I have not tried one yet but am very curious to why they are not used more. As Donna had posted she said they called them "magic bullets". Why suffer through the night of constant spasms and pain and 20 trips to the bathroom if these b&o's can help? Just wondering as I am new to this drug, other then taking it in the hospital. I also take oxycontin and lortabs daily.

Thanks
        Amy

Comment

honestly, i don't know the dosage. it's at home, and i'm at work, lol.

amy,
          i only used them as a last resort because they were so very strong. and it was a huge pain getting them. the rx was written on a triplicate carbon sheet, and one part had to be submitted to the state because it is such a strong drug. the only reason my dr prescribed them was that lortab wasn't touching the pain, and my pain at that time was about a 10. it's unusual for me to have pain that bad.

hth
          holly

*geez*

currently trying vesicare and following the ho-hum "if it has any taste at all, spit it out" IC diet

Comment

I only use them occasionally because I dont like the side effects that have to do with my stomach. They dont make me loopy but I take oxycontin everyday, so my tolerance is a little higher. They give me gas and the suppository can umm......leak out a little! If you know what I mean. For me, I dont think the b&o are stronger than lortab, but that is just my opinion from taking them both. I actually cant understand why they have to be written as a triplicate script. It is weird how they do that. Vicodin has to be written as a triplicate if they take the tylenol out of it, which makes no sense to me at all!!
            I do hope they work for you though. Let us know!
            Sarah
            Current meds; , effexor 37.5 mg 2 times a day, and lyrica 100 mg 3 times a day, lots of reading and snuggling with the pets!

Comment

I use them at least twice a day so that I don't need to take more oral pain meds or go to a stronger med. I have been that on this combo of meds for several months and so far, so good! Keeping my fingers crossed! They did cause loopiness for me at first too, but my body adjusted quickly to them. The literature that comes with the meds make note that it is important to lay down after you insert, but now I can sit as well. I just stay still for a little while.

It takes about a week or so for my pharmacy to get them in, so now I call them a week before my appt so that they will go ahead and order them so they are normally in when I take my prescription in.

Tracey

Comment

just looked at my dose. they are the 16's. no wonder they knocked me out for so long.

i still dont' think i'd use them. even last weekend when i was flaring so much, my (tmi) pee looked like strawberry jam, and i didn't think i'd be able to handle the pain. i really do hate those b&o meds. i'd rather fight through an awful flare than go that route again. just my personal opinion.

how on earth are y'all getting rx's for this stuff so easily? for me to get just darvocet from my dr, i get interrogated over the phone. if i want lortab, i have to get interrogated over the phone AND come in for an appt. goodness, if i wanted another refill on the supprettes, who knows what kind of hoops they'd make me jump through?
                holly

*geez*

Comment

I don't have that problem with the 15s or the 16s. I guess everyone is so different. As far as getting a Dr to prescribe much needed pain meds...I go to a pain management clinc, which might be a good idea for you if you find you're neeing pain meds on a regular basis. I went once before many years ago and then out of the blue, my uro offered to take over my pain control so, like an idiot, I believed him. It lasted all of 2 months and he'd only write scripts for 5 to 6 days at a time at half the dose I was on before. Not to mention that everytime I called in his nurse would stall several days or a week at a time. She said she was saving me from getting addicted, even though I've never had a history of addiction or any indications that would point in that direction. I let her know all she was doing was robbing me of having a half way normal life. Needless to say, I found a new uro and went back to the pain clinic.
                  The PM clinic is also good at finding alternative drugs to use to help with pain other than narcotics. I've tried everything from seizure meds to meds for diabites (which I don't have, but the meds did help for a while). I'm on long term meds now, like many on this board. I was very reluctant, b/c that was like admitting that I was going to need meds for an indefinate period of time. But, I'm glad I did it now. You don't have the highs and lows as with short acting stuff. Funny thing is though, I still get toothaches, headaches and it still hurts like hell when I stub my toe!! My hubby doesn't get that! I know what he's thinking! He's thinking, "If you're taking morphine, opium (in the B&O) and Ultram how are you even able to walk, much less feel any pain at all!!"
                  Anyway...the point I'm trying to get to is that if you need pain meds on a regular basis, it might be a good idea to ask for a referal. You should never have to beg for pain relief!
                  Elle

Comment

My gyn provides my pain management for IC. He is a great person and doctor. He has his own practice, so he is the only doctor and he has one nurse. I was going to a gyn where there were 10 other gyns in that practice and that was a nightmare. They never take time to get to know you. So I changed gyns 2 years ago and now my gyn knows me because he spends a lot of time talking with me each time I go. As far as needing pain meds when I run out, I just call the office and talk to the girl who answers the phone who is also a LPN Nurse, and I can go to the pharmacy within 2 hours and have my prescription waiting.

I just had an appt with my gyn this week and wanted to ask him about the B&O's. I was a little nervous he may not give them to me, b/c I am taking oxycontin and lortabs for breakthru. But when I suggested it he said he thought it was a great idea to try them out and see how they work for me. He doesn't make me feel like some kind of addict and treats me with respect and believes that I do suffer great pain and frustration with IC. He gives me a hug when I leave everytime and says hang in there kid, well figure something out, each time.

I have my house for sell and once we sell it, my husband and I are moving out of state back to my hometown. The only thing I will miss is my gyn. I can't imagine finding another gyn like him ever. Plus also to let them know I appreciate their care and time at the gyn office, I have done little things just to say thank you. My gyn golfs all the time, and I live on a golf course and we have 10 balls a day in our backyard from the golfers, they can't get them b/c we have a fence. So we keep them in a big bucket. I took my gyn a bag full of golf balls (the good ones), one time I brought them in a nice plant for the office. Little things like this mean a lot I think, b/c I am sure they hear people complaining all day long and not many thank you's. And please don't take my statement "people complaining" wrong. I just meant they hear people all day talk about what is wrong with them and they should b/c thats why their doctors but still their human and any nice gesture goes a long way!!

I am also not saying that is how I get my pain meds, I gave them the thank yous after realizing what an understanding doctor he was.

Comment

Yeah, I use the 16A ones too. I found those ones much more helpful than the 15A ones. I hope they work for you.Let us know
                      Sarah
                      Current meds; , effexor 37.5 mg 2 times a day, and lyrica 100 mg 3 times a day, lots of reading and snuggling with the pets!

Comment

I am starting to feel better about my uro/gyn over the last couple of months. As I have mentioned, I was spoiled by my previous doctor, Dr.Ragi Doggweiller. She moved to the other end of my state. While I still keep in touch with her via email, I don't think I will ever be able to have another doctor that sweet and caring.

Anyway, my uro/gyn prescribes all my pain and IC meds and normally gives me enough for a month. He also allows me to try different meds that I have researched on these boards, and he takes time to listen to me as well. I do have to see him every month which I guess is his policy or things have changed since I went to my former doctor. She normally gave me a months worth of pain meds, which also had refills. If I do run out, I just call my doctor's nurse and although it may take a couple of days for a return call, I allow enough time if I am running close on my meds.

Comment

Has anyone had burning when inserting b&o suppositories?

Hi Everyone,
                          I just got a box of the b&o supositories and when I began inserting one I got a bad burning sensation inside the rectum. I have been having a bad bout of IBS lately and have been constipated so maybe that area is just very sensitive but I was worried that I might be having some sort of allergic reaction or something so I ended up taking it out and haven't used them yet. Then I thought that maybe that's a normal thing that happens with them. I don't know since I've never used them before. Has anyone had burning when inserting the b&o suppositories? I'm going to check with the doctor too but I thought I'd check with you first since sometimes the information on here is better than what the doctor gives me.
                          Thanks.

Comment

Aeryn, I think it's a good idea to get in touch with your doctor just to be sure.

Donna
                            Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
                            Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
                            Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                            [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Yes, like Donna said, call your doctor. I have never had any burning.

Comment

I have had burning a few times, I think when I was really dehydrated. I had it once the suppository was in there and i guess was starting to dissolve. I also noticed I got the burning if I use them more than a couple times a day.
                                I would call the doc though, just to make sure.
                                Sarah

Comment

Working...
                                X