B&O suppositories-need feedback for Dr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haven't had sex in 5 months

I tried the B and O's when I was being treated for IC with my Uro. He wasn't too familiar with them and wrote a very low dosage so they didn't work. They just made me feel tired. It was very disappointing, because I had to find a compounding pharmacy to make them, my insurance at the time wouldn't pay for it (3 supp. for $42.00..would have been worth it if they'd worked) and it was a big hassle for nothing. Someone on this site told me after I posted about my 'unsuccessful experience',that the dosage was far too low. Then I got mad at my former Uro. What a waste. I have changed to a new pain mgt. doc, but don't have my first appt. with him until March 19th. I would rather wait another few weeks than try to call my current p. mgt. doc because he is strange and difficult. Many of you who've read my posts know what I'm talking about. It would be great to tell my husband that this weekend is going to be 'special', but I'm going to have to wait. If I called my current doc, he would probably say, "You need to come in to see me, or 'If it's that painful, maybe you just can't have sex anymore". He doesn't understand what IC is and has pretty much communicated to me that he's disinterested in knowing anything about it. The person who posted about how doctors are so free with giving a man medication to help with sex, but they turn their backs when it has to do with women wanting to get rid of pain so they can have sex. Double standard!
    Dani

-Bladder surgery to correct reflux-'68
    -Terribly painful periods, [email protected] 13 (most likely due to endometriosis, no dx then)
    -4 gyn surgeries since 2003 to remove cysts, ovaries, endometriosis and uterus
    -DX'd w/I.C. before 3rd gyn surgery, but sure I've had it since childhood
    -Gastrointestinal allergies to nuts and shellfish - {I would like to know if there is some connection of gastro allergies to I.C.?}
    PTSD (sexual abuse by teenage boy when I was 4 and s. abuse by adult male who was friend of my Dad's - my parents still don't know)
    -DX'd with IBS in 2000
    -Rhabdomyolysis in 2001 (has not returned)
    -DX'd with Eosinophilic Esophagitis (Asthma of the Esophagus) 3/07
    -DX'd with TMJ in 2000-wear splint
    -Hydrodistention and Cystoscopy w/ biopsy of tissue in bladder-2003
    -DX'd with Epilepsy -2000
    -SSS (Selective Sound Sensitivity)-wear earplugs most of the time to screen out certain noises
    -DX'd with Fibromyalgia (2006)

Medications:MS [email protected],Hydrocodone-10/650:up to 4day,Levothyroxine,Soma,Clonazepam,Vesicare,Keppra (anti-seizure),Flovent FHA 220mcg (swallowed for E.E.),Elmiron,Instillations-5+per week for flares,Lidocaine,Cysta-Q,Prelief, Dulcolax,Baby Aspirin(for FM),God blessed me w/2 boys: Devin-14 and Logan-9, Jim, my husband of 18+ years who sort of understands what I.C. is...still working on educating him!, my springer spaniel "Wookie" ('cause he makes sounds like 'Chewbacca' from "Star Wars" when my son plays with him) and the most important 'medicine' of all...PRAYER...because ONLY God knows the answer to why we are all going through this awful I.C.!

Comment

I hope you try the B&O supp again. The side effects will get better. They don't even make me the slightest bit tired now. I also see a big difference in my pain level after sex. We haven't gone 5 months, but it's definitely not like my husband and I would like it to be, but mostly because of my lack of sleep is my problem.

You have a great point DaniBelle about the help that men receive! Your doctor said that you may not be able to have sex again??? Oh...the things I could wish on him to have him lose that "priviledge"!

Keep us posted when you go to your new doctor!

Hugs!

Comment

Sarah, I wish I had the answer to your question about the breaking down of the opium...I'm going to have to ask the pharmacist. I'm curious because I'm already taking the MSContin.

If you have pain inserting them you might not be lubricating them enough. Make sure the suppositor AND your finger are drippy wet. If it continues to happen you might have some hemmorrhoids up there causing you pain and you need to check with your doctor.

I seem to be way behind answering questions here, and I'm sorry. My mind is a bit scattered the past few weeks.
        *IC-- Summer 2004; PFD--October 2005
        *Fibro--Fall 2000; CFS-- Fall 2000
        *MPS--Fall 2000; Crohn's disease-- 1997*IBS,GERD, *Migraines, hypothyroidism, GYN problems *Degenerative Disc Disease/scoliosis

Total Abdominal Hysterectomy--adenomyosis--9\08

04/17/09 Crohn's disease almost killed me with a combo of extreme constipation from pain medications. My bowel ruptured, I almost died from peritonitis and spent several days in the ICU then more in a private room on the floor. If you have any questions about severe constipation from pain meds please don't hesitate to send me a message.

Comment

Thanks Sandy! Dont worry hun, we dont care if you dont answer all the questions, I know you are going through a lot and we are here to support YOU!
          I also wanted to tell you that my mother in law has lupus and she had some major problems at first but after some medication and slight changes to her everyday routine, she has gotten it mostly under control. I am not trying to make light of it, just maybe give you a little encouragement. One really sad thing is NO doctor will give her pain meds. Not one. I have been to appt after appt with her and they all said no way. Well all she needs is THREE vicodin a day. That is all she takes. I know people are not supposed to do this but my hubby gets them from his doctor and gives them to her. I mean the poor woman is almost 70 and suffers so badly at times. It angers me so much.
          Hang in there!
          Sarah
          Current meds; , effexor 37.5 mg 2 times a day, and lyrica 100 mg 3 times a day, lots of reading and snuggling with the pets!

Comment

Sarah, that is the most terrible thing I've read on here lately! I can NOT believe these doctors are making a 70 year old woman suffer! How inhumane is that? I can't stand the thought of my mom suffering like that, so I can only imagine how you feel.

Thank's for understanding my loopiness....have got a lot on my mind lately and guess it shows!

Hugs!
            *IC-- Summer 2004; PFD--October 2005
            *Fibro--Fall 2000; CFS-- Fall 2000
            *MPS--Fall 2000; Crohn's disease-- 1997*IBS,GERD, *Migraines, hypothyroidism, GYN problems *Degenerative Disc Disease/scoliosis

Total Abdominal Hysterectomy--adenomyosis--9\08

04/17/09 Crohn's disease almost killed me with a combo of extreme constipation from pain medications. My bowel ruptured, I almost died from peritonitis and spent several days in the ICU then more in a private room on the floor. If you have any questions about severe constipation from pain meds please don't hesitate to send me a message.

Comment

I know. I have been to appts with her and the doctor told her " oh you will get addicted" She finally said, " I dont care if I get addicted, I am going to die soon anyway!" That made me cry. I thought if I went with her and tried to be more firm with them it would help but it didn't. But I wont give up, I am going to keep trying more doctors for her when I get over there.
              Are you feeling any better? I hope so!
              Sarah
              Current meds; , effexor 37.5 mg 2 times a day, and lyrica 100 mg 3 times a day, lots of reading and snuggling with the pets!

Comment

Hi,
                I am new to IC- just diagnosed in Oct but had symptoms for many years before that.Can someone tell me more about the B and O suppositories? Is it a prescription medication? What exactly are they used for?
                Thanks,
                Nancy

Comment

Yes the B & O supp are a prescription med. They help with pain and spasms. There are several different postings about them in this thread and others. (Just type B&O Suppositories in the search field). Research them on here and maybe they may be an option that you can discuss with your doctor. As you will find out, it takes most pharmacies awhile to get them in since they don't keep them in stock. I used to be able to get the 15A pretty fast, but now that I am on the 16s, it takes about a week.

I can really see a difference with them (so far) especially since I am not having to increase my Lortab or go to a stronger pain med.

Good luck to ya!
                  Tracey

Comment

Advice about B and O's

My hubby and I haven't had 'real' sex (penetration) in over 5 months. Even 'topical' sex is painful for me. I am seeing my new pain mgt. doctor on Monday and want to know what works for others. What milligrams or what strength do you all advise I need. I am at a tolerance level with my pain meds and the doctor will be changing them or increasing them. I tried a 10 mg B and O last year, but it just made me feel tired, not relaxed at all. I was greatly disappointed because I had to have them made up at a compounding pharmacy. Should I go ahead and ask my regular pharmacy to go ahead and order a stronger dosage (even though I know they usually don't order things unless you have the script to give them), so I can 'get things in motion'...It's been so long. Mostly, I want to make sure they are strong enough to relax all those tense muscles down there, but not knock me out...although at this point, I don't think hubby would mind if I was half awake or not!!!

Dani
                    Dani

-Terribly painful periods, [email protected] 13 (most likely due to endometriosis, no dx then)
                    -Gastrointestinal allergies to nuts and shellfish - {I would like to know if there is some connection of gastro allergies to I.C.?}
                    PTSD (sexual abuse by teenage boy when I was 4 and s. abuse by adult male who was friend of my Dad's - my parents still don't know)
                    -DX'd with IBS in 2000
                    -SSS (Selective Sound Sensitivity)-wear earplugs most of the time to screen out certain noises

Medications:MS [email protected],Hydrocodone-10/650:up to 4day,Levothyroxine,Soma,Clonazepam,Vesicare,Keppra (anti-seizure),Flovent FHA 220mcg (swallowed for E.E.),Elmiron,Instillations-5+per week for flares,Lidocaine,Cysta-Q,Prelief, Dulcolax,Baby Aspirin(for FM),God blessed me w/2 boys: Devin-14 and Logan-9, Jim, my husband of 18+ years who sort of understands what I.C. is...still working on educating him!, my springer spaniel "Wookie" ('cause he makes sounds like 'Chewbacca' from "Star Wars" when my son plays with him) and the most important 'medicine' of all...PRAYER...because ONLY God knows the answer to why we are all going through this awful I.C.!

Comment

I use the 16A ones, which are 60 mgs. That angers me that he would give you a 10 mg one, that is really low. But i guess something is better than nothing.
                      I am wondering if you dont have PFD though? Because of the way you describe the pain, it sounds kinda like what I had before i learned the exercise things to help it. I dont want to get too graphic here b/c it might embaress(sp???) you. I think i am going to send you a PM to ask some more specific questions!
                      Love sarah

Comment

B and O's, etc.

I have my first appt. with my new pain mgt. doc tomorrow, so I hope he will add the B and O's. My husband has been understanding about the pain, but I want to try these again (at the right milligrams!!!) and give it 'the old college try'! You had mentioned (I think) something about PFD? I've wondered what else has been going on 'down there'. I've never been able to ride a bicycle but just for a couple of blocks. If I sit down on the seat (my husband tried 3 different seats, one was cushioned like an ottoman!!...funny-looking), it hurts so bad. I couldn't ever get comfortable and would have to stand on the pedals the whole time. I always wondered why riding a bike was such a bad experience for me as a child, but now I know why. Something that's been bothering me at night lately are shooting, burning 'nerve-like' pains that shoot from my bladder area down my leg. I even feel burning at the tip of my big toe. It's on my left side. I need to make a list of these things for my doctor's appt. tomorrow, because I tend to forget, then I get in the car and think....why didn't I mention that....it's important. I'm going to get started on my list of questions and problems so I'll have it ready for tomorrow. I'd better make sure there's enough printer paper....just kidding. I hope you have a good day.

Dani
                        Dani

-DX'd with IBS in 2000

Comment

Dani,
                          I sent you a PM about the PFD. Did you get it?
                          Sarah

Comment

Working...
                          X