Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My pain mngment doc did an adjustment to my back...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ICLori
    replied
    Wow, that's scary! Sheesh, hopefully the doctor knows how to avoid paralyzing me - honestly when he cracked my neck, that was a thought that went through my mind. I worry too much, I know.

Well, maybe sometimes the back is involved in some illnesses. It's cool that your migraines were cured!

I did read somewhere that doctors are supposed to evaluate the lower back/spine in all patients with chronic pelvic pain. So there must be something to that. But my docs never did, until this doctor. They all ignored my back. So I'm glad it's been looked into now, just to be thorough.

Blessings,
    Lori

Leave a comment:

• tigger_gal
    replied
    wow you guys are brave, but glad you get relief.
    When I was about 17 my ex bil bear hugged me and cracked my back, the next morning, I was paralyzed from the neck down, I could feel but not move. My parents had to call an ambulance to take me to ER. I don't recall what he did but I know it was painful as all hell. I imagine he pinched some nerves. My parents weren't to happy with my sisters husband and certainly let him know it.

Leave a comment:

• dancemomof2
    replied
    I know when I went to chiropractor my migraines stopped and I felt alot better. I have been afraid to go since the Interstim I am afraid he will do something to it.

I also lean my head to each side and pop my own neck several times aday. It is a great relief.

Leave a comment:

• Berkshire Road
    replied
    I think that's great, Lori. My doctor believes the nerves in the spine affect the bladder; it seems to make sense. I've had my neck manipulated; it is really loud but that's just because the bones moving are right near your ear canals. Once you train yourself to relax, it feels wonderful.

I used to see an osteopath, but he retired. I think I should probably track down another one, I need a new primary care doc. Thanks for bringing it up.

I'm so happy to hear good news from you; you deserve it! I really hope this brings you lasting relief.

Leave a comment:

• ICLori
    replied
    Hi, Briza, a D.O. is:

A doctor of osteopathic medicine (D.O.) is a physician licensed to perform surgery and prescribe medication. Like an M.D., an osteopath completes 4 years of medical school and can choose to practice in any specialty of medicine. However, osteopaths receive an additional 300 to 500 hours in the study of hands-on manual medicine and the body's musculoskeletal system.

Osteopathic medicine is dedicated to treating and healing the entire patient as a whole, rather than focusing on one system or body part. An osteopath will often use a treatment method called manipulation -- a hands-on approach to assure that the body is moving freely. This free motion ensures that all of your body's natural healing systems are free to work unhindered.

Osteopaths hold to the principle that a patient's history of illness and physical trauma are written into the body's structure. The osteopath's highly developed sense of touch allows the physician to palpate (feel) the patient's "living anatomy" (the flow of fluids, motion and texture of tissues, and structural make-up).

The osteopath's job is to "set" the body to heal itself. To do so, the Osteopath gently applies a precise amount of force to promote healthy movement of tissues, eliminate abnormal movements, and release compressed bones and joints. In addition, the areas being treated require proper positioning to assist the body's ability to regain normal tissue function. This process is called osteopathic manual medicine (OMM) or osteopathic manipulative treatment (OMT).

Over the years, the gap between "conventional" medicine and osteopathic medicine has narrowed, as M.D.s have embraced many of the premises of osteopathic medicine (such as recognizing the impact of stress on the immune system or posture on various body systems). In addition, D.O.s have incorporated the diagnostic and treatment techniques common to conventional medicine.

Doctors of osteopathic medicine may be found in nearly any health care setting, from community clinics and private practices to academic medical centers.

Like M.D.s, osteopaths are licensed at the state level. Osteopaths who wish to specialize may become "board certified" (in much the same manner as M.D.s) by completing a 2- to 6-year residency within the specialty area and passing the board certification exams.

Leave a comment:

• Briza
    replied
    LOL I just lean my head towards my shoulder with a little pressure and it pops!
    I've done it all my life, and everything still seems to be working right I have multiple ways of popping my back, but don't know how to describe, you would have to see. Probably best to leave you in the hands of a professional, since you have scoliosis. What's a D.O.?

Leave a comment:

• ICLori
    replied
    How do you pop your own neck...? Is it dangerous to do that? I was really kind of nervous when he did it, it kind of scared me when it made that sound. I was thinking, what if I end up paralyzed or something? Silly, I know.

He's a D.O. rather than an M.D. and I guess he works a lot with the back. DO's are trained kind of like chiropractors in that way I guess?

Blessings,
    Lori

Leave a comment:

• Briza
    replied
    With all you've been thru, Lori, it would be great if an occasional realignment is all you need! I didn't know pain drs did chiropractor stuff. He must have some background in that, too. If if helps any of your symptoms at all, that would be great. I know I love having my back and neck popped, but I usually just do it myself... actually have a hard time getting out of bed or going to sleep until everything has been properly popped.

Leave a comment:

• ICLori
    started a topic My pain mngment doc did an adjustment to my back...

My pain mngment doc did an adjustment to my back...

I was kind of skeptical that trying to "fix" my scoliosis would make any difference....but you know, after the adjustment yesterday, I slept without needing a pain pill. But I do have good nights like that here and there, so it's really too soon to tell. It sure would be cool if something would finally work for this IC though. I can always hope.

He popped my neck, too - kind of scared me, the noise it made, it was the first time I'd ever had any adjustments done. It didn't hurt or anything, but it was strange. I did find that I could look around more easily (better range of motion) so that was pretty good.

He said he's seen a couple of IC'ers get better with back adjustments. I guess it's possible, I've heard that nerves in the back can do all kinds of weird things, make the bladder malfunction and all.

Anyway, this will be an interesting experiment I think. Well, if it does end up being my back that is the problem, that would explain why many of the traditional IC remedies didn't work for me I guess.

Blessings,
    Lori
Working...
X