How can I relieve the pain??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I relieve the pain??

I have nothing...no pain meds nothing. I wish I had lydocane or something...I seriously feel like I have a stick inside my "you know where". Constant burning and such.

Diagnosed with IC 3-30-2003

Flare ups 1 time a month lasts for days.

I feel bad for you!!!! Do you have urgency and frequency also? The pain you are describing sounds like you may have vulvodynia as well! Are you under the care of a urologist? If it is that bad I would go to the ER or try calling your Dr to see if he/she can call in some painkillers. I cannot even imagine not having pain meds I would die! My pain is not even controlled with what I have now! But my IC has gotten worse and worse and is so severe that the only thing that helps is narcotic painkillers.I suffered for so long before getting a diagnosis so I know how you feel! But most of the time I was able to get some vicodin even if it was only 20 at a time from my uro or PCP. Usually they were sympathetic but mainly because of the kidney stones not so much the IC. My PCP did not know much about IC other than recommending Elmiron. My uro used to give me lidocaine jelly for the Vulvodynia. It really helps! Others have recommended warm baths, heating pads, ice packs, motrin(but some cannot tolerate it w/ IC). Ibuprofen helps me slightly. Over the counter Uristat or AZO would be your best bet! Call your Dr right away to see if they can call in something! Good luck and feel better!

Jessica

Comment

I was being seen by a urologist....but they can not get me in for awhile and I can't wait. I am not going to go to the ER either....too much money. I take motrin and such and normally use a heating pad....but did not today. I do have vulvodynia. Always have with this. I have NEVER been given lidocaine gel or anything. I am trying to get into a new doc....but no luck yet.

Yes urgency BAD!! and frequency. This stinks...

Comment

Ibuprofen is an irritant for many people with IC. My suggestion would be to telephone your primary care physician's office and ask if they can order something to help with your pain.

Donna
        Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
        Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
        Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
        [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

HI! OMG.....I agree with Donna.....get rid of the Motrin....it's probably making your pain worse. There must be other URO's in your city.....I'd go thru the phone book till you find one who can see you. If a dr. knows you are in pain and says they can't see you for a cpl weeks.....it's time to find another one!
          Try Azo for short term bladder pain relief....and adhere to the IC diet.
          I hope you find a dr. who can see you this week. Let us know how you are doing.....my thoughts are with you....Roxie

Double Spinal Cord Stimulator surgery 8/09
          Unsuccessful MiniArc sling surgery 12/07
          Dx'd Hypothyroid
          Dx'd Chronic Axonal Neuropathy & Myopathy
          June 2007
          Dx'd IC May 2006 (after suffering for 25+ yrs!)
          First Cysto 1979
          First Hydro 1981 (Many treatments since then!)
          Collagin"Durasphere" injections for urethra
          Gall bladder surgery Aug. 2004
          Gastric Bypass Dec. 2004
          Dx'd: Barrett's Esphogus July 2004
          Dx'd: Vaginal Atrophy 2005
          Bladder surgery 2000
          Dx'd: IBS 2000
          Hysterectomy (fibroids) 1999
          Laminectomy 1989
          Dx'd: Degerative Disk Disorder 1989

For IC I use Elmiron, Elavil and Freeze dried Aloe Vera (it works likes Elmiron, but naturally)and Azo as needed. I also take Zegerid, Randitine for Barrett's Esophagus. (which causes me to have constant yeast infections!)I take Cymbalta for Neuopathy/Myopathy pain. I use the Climara patch for menopause symptoms. I'm on a very strict diet because of the IC, IBS and Gastric Bypass. I take Primal Defense Probiotics and whole food Iron.
          I no longer have the awful urethral pain! I've been using MSM gel now for 4 mo. and haven't had a flare up or the urethra pain.....it's amazing stuff!!:woohoo:

Comment

Thank you girls. I appreciate it. I tried calling my urologist but the doc on call did not know anything. Made me mad. I have not taken anything. But good to know about the Motrin. Thanks. I am ok right now....but it seems the burning when I urinate tends to come and go. I also notice that I feel relief til I am done peeing then the burning kicks in and it makes it hard to walk or get comfortable at all.

Comment

You can buy Azo at most pharmacies. I think that would help you till you can get into a dr. Roxie

Double Spinal Cord Stimulator surgery 8/09
              Unsuccessful MiniArc sling surgery 12/07
              Dx'd Hypothyroid
              Dx'd Chronic Axonal Neuropathy & Myopathy
              June 2007
              Dx'd IC May 2006 (after suffering for 25+ yrs!)
              First Cysto 1979
              First Hydro 1981 (Many treatments since then!)
              Collagin"Durasphere" injections for urethra
              Gall bladder surgery Aug. 2004
              Gastric Bypass Dec. 2004
              Dx'd: Barrett's Esphogus July 2004
              Dx'd: Vaginal Atrophy 2005
              Bladder surgery 2000
              Dx'd: IBS 2000
              Hysterectomy (fibroids) 1999
              Laminectomy 1989
              Dx'd: Degerative Disk Disorder 1989

For IC I use Elmiron, Elavil and Freeze dried Aloe Vera (it works likes Elmiron, but naturally)and Azo as needed. I also take Zegerid, Randitine for Barrett's Esophagus. (which causes me to have constant yeast infections!)I take Cymbalta for Neuopathy/Myopathy pain. I use the Climara patch for menopause symptoms. I'm on a very strict diet because of the IC, IBS and Gastric Bypass. I take Primal Defense Probiotics and whole food Iron.
              I no longer have the awful urethral pain! I've been using MSM gel now for 4 mo. and haven't had a flare up or the urethra pain.....it's amazing stuff!!:woohoo:

Comment

True thanks.

Comment

try tums and fish oil capsules, it helps my burning sensation

Comment

oh thanks. I will

Comment

I'm really sorry to hear you're in pain and can't get to a doctor at the moment. I've been in that situation before, and it sucks. Have you tried all of the following to relieve your pain:

-A heating pad?
                      -An electric massage device over your bladder?
                      -Sitting under a hot faucet?
                      -Almond milk?
                      -OTC Prelief tablets?
                      -Ice?
                      -A warm bath with baking soda?
                      -Herbal treatments, such as Marshmallow Root or Aloe Vera?
                      -Stick-on heating pads, such as Thermacare?

If not, then now would be a good time to try them out. Personally, the electric massager and the heating pads helped me the most. Recently, I saw a mini-massager being sold at Walgreen's for 5 bucks, so you don't neccesarily need to get a really fancy, expensive one.

Another thing that I used to do while I was in pain was gentle pelvic stretching. I was taught the following excercise by a nurse specializing in PFD. First, sit down with your knees about parallel to your shoulders. Then, bring your knees together and count to five. Do this three times, with five second pauses in between. Then, start with your knees about parallel to your shoulders again, and stretch your knees way out, far away from each other. Hold this for five seconds, and then go back to your starting position. Do this two more times, for a total of three, and keep putting 5 second pauses in between. If any of your pain is actually coming from tense pelvic floor muscles, this excercise might be able to help you.

Good luck

Chronic conditions: IC, bipolar disorder, Lown-Ganong-Levine syndrome, Raynaud's disease, bile reflux, scoliosis
                      Current IC treatments: menstrual suppression
                      Daily treatments for other conditions: Neurontin, Zyprexa, Cymbalta, Modafinil
                      As-needed treatments for other conditions: Klonopin, Ambien

Comment

Aww thanks. I guess my pain is really just located in the urethra area and vagina.

Comment

It can be hard to tell where your pain is really coming from. Sometimes pain from one area can be reffered to another area, or pain can radiate outwards from the source. It's not rare for an IC patient to experience pain not only in their pelvis, but in their abdomen, and even in their upper thighs.

If you want to rule out your pelvic floor as a source of pain, you should see a nurse who specializes in pelvic floor therapy. The procedure they use to asses the state of your pelvic floor is, honestly, kind of awkward and uncomfortable, as it usually involves inserting a probe in your vagina in front of the nurse, and hooking the probe up to a computer. But, since a lot of patients with IC also develop pelvic floor issues, it may be worth it in the long run. I don't regret having PF therapy; the excerises I learned have been helpful to me.

Basically, though, the most important thing I learned from pelvic floor therapy was this: never, ever strain when you urinate. What happened to me is that, due to the severe, constant pain I experienced, I began to unintentionally tense up down there. It's a natual response to try to protect an injured part of your body, but it's not always beneficial. At this time, I was also retaining small amounts of urine. So, when I had to go, I often felt that I couldn't get it all out. This led to a cycle where I was straining to push out the urine, which led to more tension, which led to more straining, etc.

That kind of cycle is really, really bad for your pelvic floor muscles. If you find yourself straining when you go pee, like if you're trying to pass a large bowel movement, then stop. As the PF nurse explained, it is much better to go to the toilet and then have to come back 15 minutes later to get the rest of your urine out, than to strain to try to get it all out. Instead of straining, I learned to gently massage my bladder while I was trying urinate. I still do this sometimes to help me go.

Again, if your pain is partially coming from the muscles around your vagina, this stuff can help. I encourage you to talk to a doctor about the possibily of physical therapy next time you get to see one.

Chronic conditions: IC, bipolar disorder, Lown-Ganong-Levine syndrome, Raynaud's disease, bile reflux, scoliosis
                          Current IC treatments: menstrual suppression
                          Daily treatments for other conditions: Neurontin, Zyprexa, Cymbalta, Modafinil
                          As-needed treatments for other conditions: Klonopin, Ambien

Comment

Working...
                          X