Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No success with pain clinic. Im so mad and confused. I could just cry.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mom w/ic: That is a fascinating story. You go get em girl. Through the process of having my daughters UTI's treated I have realized a certain level of frustration that Drs. have with pharmacist's, I never noticed it before. When they gave me a scrip for pain meds the week before my hydro, I told the doctor that I didn't think they would fill it because they had just given me some the week earlier for that damn everyday all encompassing pain. (I guess narcotics have to be filled within 24 or 48 hours of being written). The doctor just looked at me and said "they better". I didn't realize how powerful that was until I read your post.
    I was born with one ureta not attached to it's kidney, I've been poked and prodded for so long. I never had "private" parts. I had constant infections and took low dose preventive antibiotics into my teens.

DX with IC July 1993 after seeing 3 different Uro's and finally switching Primary care doctors and affiliated hospitals.

I have 2 beautiful daughters, the oldest has been in heaven since she was 14 when she was hit by a car The youngest is 20 now. She has had one UTI. She went into complete panic that she would end up like me. Now she has some idea of what the pain is like. Poor kid has been forced to know where every bathroom in Disney World is.

Comment

This is powerful information! Thanks so much for sharing your story with us!

i will put this in my mental bank..

FYI, i find that the locally owned pharmacies are much more customer friendly than say ,Walgreens, CVS, Riteaid..etc. We have a wonderful local pharmacy that we drive out of our way to take our scripts to, just because they are so kind!

Originally posted by momw/ic View Post
      I had a similar pharmacy situation where the pharmacist saw fit to question my medications and prescriptions here. My uro had given me Lortab 5/325 for break through pain and then I had a cyst w/hydro done and he did a biopsy, dialation and ulcer ablation while he was in there. When I woke up from anesthesia he told me I would probably need more pain meds so he gave me a written script for Lortab 10/325 and the directions that allowed me to take more and more often than the 5/325. When my husband took the script to get it filled the pharmacist would not fill it because I had some already. When my husband explained the situation and that even if I took 2 at a time what I had to get it up to the 10mg that I would run out in a couple of days. He was going out of town in 3 days so he wanted me to be all set when he left. The pharmacist still refused to fill so my husband had the doc paged to call him. When the doc called and my husband told him the situation he was so mad. He said that they are "practicing medicine without a license and that is illegal and grounds to be reported". The doc talked to the pharmacist and told her all of that and she told him that he needed to turn me over to pain management. He told her that I was in pain management that he was managing my pain and she was standing in the way of that. Bottom line is she hung up from the doc and said he agreed that I needed pain management and did not need the script. What she didn't know was that we had the call on a three way call and I had heard the entire conversation! He took the script from her and went to another chain pharmacy and they filled it no problem. The next day my husband went in to the pharm to talk to the manager and told him everthing that happened. It turns out my doc had already called and was livid (we had paged him again and told him what the pharmacist told us he said) and he would be reporting the store and the pharmacist.

Through all of that I learned that the pharmacists and the insurance company cannot override anything like that the doctor has ordered. It is considered practicing medicine without a license and is illegal. If you use that exact phrase to them a lot of times they will back down because it scares them that you know about that and that they don't have all the power. Sorry this is so long but I thought this might hielp.
      Mimi~

Currently battling:
      Migraines
      IC
      Panic attacks/Anxiety Disorder

Current Treatments:
      Pain Meds and Anxiety Meds
      Gentle Physical Therapy
      Yoga
      Heating Pad~my best friend
      Lots of hot baths w/ Epsom Salts & Baking Soda
      Tens Unit