kadian users,help......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kadian users,help......

okay,i have started pain mgmt. 2 months ago,and its been going pretty good,but,they decided to try kadian first as the long term med. but they only started me at 20 mgs,it doesn't even touch my pain(thankfully i also have lortab for breakthrough or i would be more upset).anyway,i have seen here somewhere,that someone was on a much higher dose,so i am wondering if 20 mgs is just a really low dose and thats why its not working?if any of you can tell me how much mgs you are prescribed i would appreciate it,or any of the nurses who have dealt with this drug before and can help me.thanks,jamie

Kadian is available in 20, 30, 50, 60, 80, 100, and 200 mg capsules. You can take Kadian once or twice a day. The starting dose is 20mg.

Comment

thanks alot.i feel bad asking every month about different things.i just want pain relief without feeling too loopy,i have a 6 yr old and a 3 yr old thats homme all day,so i can't be zonked out.i also am realistic and know that with how much pain i'm in all day that i will definately have some side effects and prob. feel a little different,i just don't want to be out of it!! anywho,thanks for your help.jamie

Comment

I'm now on Kadian 50mg 2x a day and morphine 15mg 3x a day for breakthrough. When I started taking this (after oxycontin) I thought it was a placebo pill at first.

It does not help me at all. I have a history of morphine not working anyway.

It does make me feel sleepy but not 'out of it'.

Hope you feel better soon,
        Carol
        8/2007 - My constant bladder pain is now gone due to a surgery where the ilioinguinal and iliohypogastic nerves were cut. I still have IC symptoms but they are improving. It's still early to say, but I believe this solution will work permanently for me.

Symptoms since 2005 - 24/7 abdominal pain, cold sweats, low back pain, vulv, etc.
        Surgeries: Spinal Fusion L4-L5-S1 10/97, Anterior spinal fusion L5-S1 9/05, Lap for Cysts, Endo 9/06, Hysterectomy kept cervix 12/06
        Meds: Morphine, Neurontin, Valium, Hydroxyzine, Vivelle Estrogen, Thyroid,
        Exercise & PT: All at least 4 times a week
        Whirlpool baths, Moist heat, Treadmill, Stretching, Trigger point, Yoga Positions; Ab & Pelvic Massage

Comment

so your on 50 mg 2x a day and it doesn't work?yeah the 20 mg does absolutely nothing for me,it doesn't make me feel loopy or tired either,but it also doesn't touch the pain,funny thing is my xtra strenghth tylenol helps better than kadian!!??? no other things have made me too loopy thats why i was worried about having more mgs of the kadian,i wasn't sure how high the doses actually go.maybe i'll ask to increase it when i go at the end of the month,i just hate sounding like i'm picky.i just finally got someone to understand the pain i'm in and start treating me for it,i'm scared they'll get sick of me if i tell them its not working!its pretty sad that we actually have to worry about these things with this horrible disease.thanks for the info.jamie

Comment

Don't worry about sounding picky and get what you need. Doctor's sure don't volunteer this stuff. Actually, I've been doing a bit better lately and am going back down to hydrocodone (max dose) because it always worked the best (even with my tolerance level).

I lasted one day on Fentanyl patches. Horrible, horrible side effects for me - which probably would have gotten better - but it sure does work.

Opana (mix of oxycontin & morphine) and Oxycontin are what I had been on.

I think any of these would have worked better (including Kadian) if they did a higher dose of the fast acting narcotic for breakthrough. These extended release medicines never seem to achieve breakthrough and I still hurt all day.
            8/2007 - My constant bladder pain is now gone due to a surgery where the ilioinguinal and iliohypogastic nerves were cut. I still have IC symptoms but they are improving. It's still early to say, but I believe this solution will work permanently for me.

Symptoms since 2005 - 24/7 abdominal pain, cold sweats, low back pain, vulv, etc.
            Surgeries: Spinal Fusion L4-L5-S1 10/97, Anterior spinal fusion L5-S1 9/05, Lap for Cysts, Endo 9/06, Hysterectomy kept cervix 12/06
            Whirlpool baths, Moist heat, Treadmill, Stretching, Trigger point, Yoga Positions; Ab & Pelvic Massage

Comment

My doctor just switched me from MsContin/Oramorph 60mg 4x a day to taking the Kadian 100 mg 1-2X a day and it doesn't WORK! I had a big time flare the other night.

I'm not impressed with the Kadian at all, and I'm on the 100 mg.

I'm going to ask to go back to MsContin with a breakthrough. But to answer your question, yeah 20 mg sounds really low, but I've been on pain management for a few years. I think they started me on 15 mg 3x a day for the first month and then up to the 30's for a long time and then he cut my breakthrough meds and upped me to the 60's.....those became TOO expensive (because he wouldn't write for generic) so I switched to Kadian. Bad move on my part.

I hope you find something that works.

hugs,
              kara
              Hugs and Wishes for Pain FREE days!!,
              Kara

www.loveforearth.net ~reducing plastic waste one bag at a time~

Facebook: Kara Kaiser
              Twitter: Love4Earth

Me and my Guccigirl... she helps me through those painful hours!

Comment

thanks kara,i thought it seemed kinda low,i am also not impressed.i hope they will try something different.

Comment

Gosh Kara! 100mg still didn't work! I agree, Kadian is just not impressive - even with a couple of years on pain meds (like me).

So Billsbaby, what are you going to ask for? An increased dose of the Kadian? Increase of breakthrough meds? Different kind of med altogether? Have you tried Oxycontin?

I wish I could try Demoral in pill form. They always use it after hospital procedures (at my request) and it works so well at a high dosage. I've heard of lots of people who just don't get much relief from morphine based drugs.

My doc used to write high dose breakthroughs with low dose extended release but suddenly changed - not just with me but as a new practice standard. I wonder if that's something a lot of pain doctors are doing.

Comment

i've never tried ms contin before,does it work well,what is it?i honestly don't know what to ask him,should i ask for something totally different?i don't want to name anything specific because i have heard horror stories here before,that you get considered as a seeker when you do that.its so frustrating dealing with all the crap that comes along with pain mgmt.what do you think i should do in your experience with pain mgmt.?

Comment

If you have a new relationship with your doctor, I would avoid asking for specific meds. I have been seeing my doc for a long time and I do ask for specific meds but would not have when I first started.
                      Are you keeping a pain journal? If not, I highly suggest you do. Write down what your pain is before you take the morphine and then an hour after you take it. By doing this you can come in and just tell your pain doc that you are having a really hard time and is there anything else you can consider? Be persistent. I know it is hard but sometimes it is the only way.
                      I still have a hard time with the guilty feelings but we are the ones who live like this everyday and know how we feel. We deserve to be in as little pain as possible.
                      There are many meds to try besides morphine. Morphine does not work for me and never did. I started on 15 mg - 3 times a day too but quickly switched back to oxycontin. It works well for me but wears off after 5-6 hours. I take breakthrough medication during that time and I get awesome pain relief. Many days my pain is around 1-3, from a 7-9 only 2 years ago! So even though the pain mgmt road can be hard, it can also be so worth it.
                      Hang in there hun. If you have any other questions, please feel free to PM me and I would be glad to talk more.
                      Love Sarah
                      Current meds; , effexor 37.5 mg 2 times a day, and lyrica 100 mg 3 times a day, lots of reading and snuggling with the pets!

Comment

Yes, I am a little surprised I'm having this level of pain on the Kadian. It seems to work for about 8 hours and then REALLY taper off. I'm taking it first thing in the am and the pain starts late afternoon. I'm about to add a dose at night and hopefully that will help,

But today, my stomach hurts (all day) and it never did that before with the 8 hour morphine. I just don't think the 24 hour morphine is as good.

Generally, most pain clinics DO start you off at a low dose and titrate you up.

I think the reason why my doc moved me from the 60 mg to the 100's, is that he wanted to eliminate my breakthrough meds. But....I'm finding out I still need them! lol

Ugh.......this gets so frustrating.

hugs,
                        Kara
                        Hugs and Wishes for Pain FREE days!!,
                        Kara

www.loveforearth.net ~reducing plastic waste one bag at a time~

Facebook: Kara Kaiser
                        Twitter: Love4Earth

Me and my Guccigirl... she helps me through those painful hours!

Comment

I have to say I disagree about asking for specific meds - although it depends on the circumstances.

After 3 spinal surgeries, a hysterectomy and IC, my pain doctor knows I'm not faking or addicted. He also knows I do plenty of research on what might help and will try any drug to get out of pain.

I take him a log each month on the things I've tried and list the out of pocket money I've spent. These include, trigger point massages, herbs for teas, natural anti-inflammatories, and acupuncture. He's done tons of procedures on me including nerve blocks, trigger point injections, epidurals and most recently 2 separate phenol injections (to kill the nerve) on a hypogastic nerve and on scar tissue neuromas from abdominal surgery.

It's all in the way you present it to your doctor and how well you know him or her. I am currently considering a spinal cord stimulator.

Again, best of luck to you and good luck on getting some pain relief.

Comment

Carolin,
                            It sounds like you have been seeing your doctor for quite awhile and have a good relationship with him. Like I said in my post, that is totally different. When you haven't seen a doctor very many times and they dont know you very well. I do think that some doctors kinda frown on asking for specific narcotic medications because they are worried about abuse. I know that I have read drug addicts usually have a specific med they like to take and will go out of their way to get that med. So I guess that is why doctors are worried if we come in right away and ask for oxycontin or morphine, etc.
                            I have asked for every med in the book but my doctor and I are very close and have that kind of relationship. He always tells me he is willing to try anything I want, I just need to let him know. I do the research and he writes the script.
                            He did say no when I asked for the Actiq(fentanyl "lollipops" that you suck on) and said he had never prescribed that for anyone and didn't think he ever would. He said it is like giving yourself and shot of pain medication. I was dissapointed b/c I thought they might have worked really well for me.
                            Sarah
                            Current meds; , effexor 37.5 mg 2 times a day, and lyrica 100 mg 3 times a day, lots of reading and snuggling with the pets!

Comment

Hi ICCSarah! Yes, as I said, it does depend on the circumstances - meaning how well your doctor knows you and why type of doctor they are.

I am recovering from a 5 day flare after being (I think) in remission for a short while. I tried fentanyl patches and they made me sick as a dog (but took alll the pain away). I think they were way too strong. I'm happy to know about the lollipops - maybe a low dose of those would work. I'm sorry your doctor wouldn't give them to you. What works best for you?

This thread really underscores how important is is to find a pain doctor that is compassionate and open. Building that relationship of trust sure pays off when you need major meds for pain. I'm convinced that providing proof of how hard I've tried each month (monthly log for doctor) has really helped build that relationship. Not to mention doing every unpleasant, painful, expensive hospital procedure he wanted (shots, phenol, blocks, etc)!

Comment

Working...
                              X