Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how many pills are you prescribed, monthly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I take 30 mg of MS Contin 3 times per day, plus 5 mg of valium with the MS contin. I also take Atarax, Topamax, and someother "cocktail" stuff. They started me on vicoden. (the initial uro I had) That didn't touch the pain so aft er a weekend of pure hell in my house in July I saw my Reg. doc who RX'd the MS Contin 15 mg 2 times per day. it was ok but Iwas still in incredible pain so he messed with the morphine dosages while I got a new a uro who worked on other stuff. Insurance wouldn't pay for Oxycontin or Avezna ( I Loved the Avezna) the one pill every 24 hours. (Yes, I paid for 2 weeks to just see how it worked and it was wonderful but 90 bucks for 14 pills.) Docs keep messing with the pain stuff (tinkering I call it)
    I.C. DX'd following my "second hysterectomy" (the remaining ovary, that kept bursting and bleeding 2 years after my hyster/right oompherectomy, was removed in 2003. I was a special ed teacher. I am now very lost, and feeling rather hopeless in my life.

Medications I CURRENTLY take:
    90 mgs Ms contin (45 mgs Am/PM)
    Percocet as needed
    Topomax 100mg day
    Ambien 10 mg bed
    desipramine 25 mgs

If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

What is Avenza??? I have never heard of it. Is is new???????? You only have to take one a day?? How come your insurance won't pay??? What kind do you have????

Tami
      [email protected]

Comment

My uro gives me anywhere between 40-100 empracet a month. Really, I believe it depends what kind of mood he is in. My gp doesn't think twice of giving me stronger pain meds-she always says that I need quality of life. My uro is against stronger pain meds, because it has a stigma behind it. Whatever, he doesn't have to life in pain 24/7. My gp is wonderful and suggested that I need to go to a new uro-because of my current uro's attitude. Anyway, my gp told me that she was going to put me on fentynl patches-since I have the guilt of taking numerous empracet a day. I've just had a dmso treatment and pain is still there, not as bad though. So, if and when, the terrible pain returns she will give me a prescription. alana

Peace, Love, Health, and Happiness!
        Alana

Comment

Tami

The correct spelling of the stuff is Avizna and yes it is oral 1x /day...just came out. My insurance will only pay for MS CONTIN no matter what. They think morphine is morphine is morphine, even if I have to take a 12 hour pill every 8 hours to relieve the pain. They wouldn't pay for Oxycontin either. They are on a formulary plan and say those other meds are prior approval but even if the doc calls and says this is very much needed by the patient and works better, they say, tough bananas. It was good....I felt much better and less sedated on it. If my pain gets much worse, they may have to move to patches 'cause I don't very many other options.

Good luck.....
          I.C. DX'd following my "second hysterectomy" (the remaining ovary, that kept bursting and bleeding 2 years after my hyster/right oompherectomy, was removed in 2003. I was a special ed teacher. I am now very lost, and feeling rather hopeless in my life.

Medications I CURRENTLY take:
          90 mgs Ms contin (45 mgs Am/PM)
          Percocet as needed
          Topomax 100mg day
          Ambien 10 mg bed
          desipramine 25 mgs

If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
          Albert Einstein

Comment

I hate that you have such a hard time with your insurance co. I guess I have been blessed because I haven't run into any problems with them not paying for meds. Just like today---I was out of my Loratab and have an app. tomorrow at 1:30---I called and told one of the nurses that I needed some called in just for today until my app. Anyway, my doctor was in surgery and the other nurse said that she would have to clear it with another doc. and she would call me back--when she called me back she told me that the other doctor wasn't comfortable calling something in and she would have to put in a call to my doctor (who was in surgery all day) to get it approved. Within 2hrs. she called me back and they had called in my meds. I don't know what I would do without him, he is truly a lifesaver. I have had a hectic day and had to dip ice cream for 3 1/2 hrs. at my daughter's basketball game for the cheerleaders tonight. I survived thanks to Dr. Gray. I wish everyone could find a great and dependable doctor like him. My heart goes out to all IC patients who have to go through hell and back to get some relief for this painful disease.

Hugs to All!!!!!!!!

Tami grouphug
            [email protected]

Comment

TO ALL TAKING NARCOTICS COMPOUNDED WITH TYLENOL--WHETHER PERCOCET OR VICODIN...

There's a single-agent variety of oxycodon (NOT to be confused with Oxycontin which is time released!) called OxyIR 5mg; I'm sure you've guessed, but IR means "Immediate release." That way you got the 5-to 10mg of pain med that you need with any hepatic (liver) complications.

I used to get 360 of these per month with a sig of 1-3 every three to four hours. Plys Oxycontin 40mg twice every eight hours.

But if you're doing well on the low doseage, stick with it!

Just one word about the OxyIR: they aren't routinely carried by pharmacies unless they deal with a lot of cancer patients. Sometimes hospital pharmacies or those real close to hospitals with have them.

So, I would suggest that, two or three weeks BEFORE your appointment, fax a request to your pharmacist--after talking to him--to order them for you. If you're getting qty 120 10/325s, then 240 5mg OxyIRs won't be out of line. And, ask him to hold them for your.

I spent over $13,000 at Walgreen's last year; they treat me VERY well, I can assure you. So, if you're bringing regular business, they should be happy to accomodate you.

Just remember to order ahead of time so you don't get to the phamacy only to be told, "We can get these in a week." My way, they wait for you. The other way is like playing slots--odds are, you're gonna lose.

Also, discuss with your Doctor--BEFORE LEAVING THE OFFICE--if he'll be willing to swap scripts if, for whatever reasons, you can't get the OxyIRs, if he's cool with writing your usual script. That way, if there's a problem you've already got it solved and simply have to drive it back to Dr's office and switch scripts; have done it myself a couple times.

Also, beware HOW the script is written.

It should look like this:

OxyIR 5 mg
              #240 (?)
              Sig (optional, not all doctor's write this word): T-TTT* PO prn pain q 3-4 hrs.

*The "T's" will have little dots on top of them; or he/she could write 1-3 in Indian numerals; this doesn't matter just as long as the number to be take is written.

In English, this means: Take 1 tp 3 OxyIRs by mouth as need for pain every three to four hours.

PO=by mouth; q = every; prn=as needed.

Pain_Man

Comment

Donna mentions ultram.

I'm very happy she gets relief from it.

It nearly drove me nuts.

I began to hear auditory hallucinations (first time in my life this didn't invovle a certain ergot fungus compound). I also began to grow incredibly paranoid (ironically enough I actually WAS right about what I paranoid about).

The drug literally threw me for a ringer.

So, if it's helping you, God bless you. If haven't taken it, or you're having similar problems--including severe mood swings--STOP TAKING IT.

And think long and hard, if you haven't taken it before, whether you should.

The drug is chemically classed as an NSAID (i.e. like ibuprofen, Alevel, Orudis, etc), yet it binds with morphine receptors in the brain and brain stem.

There have all been numerous anecdotal reports of addictions, severe addiction, to ultram. Class actions are being prepared against the drug's maker.

this drug is being used by some docs--my diagnosing uro for example--as a panacea to avoid prescribing narcotics.

Don't believe them; it's no such thing. It's a nightmare in a small white pill just waiting for some of you.

If it works for, I'll say again, God bless you.

If you're having any of the above issues or anything else has changed with you since you started taking it, STOP and ask for a REAL pain killer.

PM

Comment

Working...
                X