Cats get painful IC too!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cats get painful IC too!!!!

I just took our dog to the vet. Our vet is a very old friend of mine.

I told him that tomorrow I was having a procedure done in the hospital. When he asked what for I told him it was a cysto/hydro for IC.
    He said "repeat the disease name again" and I said "intersitial cystitis". He said "WOW" people get that too??

I learned from him that cat's get IC. He said that it causes incredible pain for the animal and a lot of the time they have to put them down. He said when cats get it they howl in pain even after pain meds. and they pee all over the house.

He was sooooooooo sympathetic to my pain!
    We made plans to chat on the phone about this.

Anyone else know that cats get this????

I believe I've read about it before because cats are used for human IC treatment research.
    IC & fibromyalgia since ~'77. Osteoarthritis since ~'88. Idiopathic Thrombocytopenia Purpura (autoimmune blood disease) since '96. IBS for who knows how long. Interstim implant 2/04, revised 6/06, replaced 11/12 & again in 9/17. Antibodies to thyroid since at least '92 (finally diagnosed & treated 1/06). Asthma & vocal cord dysfunction 12/06. Hypoglycemia '07. Perimenopausal at 37, menopause at 45. Pituitary & adrenal failure. Osteopenia. Grade 3 sacral fracture by S3-S4 at age 12, healed 14mm out of place.

Comment

Do a search for Dr. Tony Buffington. He is a vet who does research on IC in cats. I believe there is an interview on this site from him. It's very interesting to read and he has come to some ineteresting conclusions.

Success

Comment

Yes, I had read somewhere about cats having interstitial cystitis. I shall have to ask our vet, he is very much on the ball with all the latest research and stuff. I feel for a cat who has it. I can belief that would howl with it. Thanks for posting, Iris. hi hat
        Today and every day you are loved, so don't be anxious about tomorrow, God will take care of you tomorrow; Live one day at a time.

Comment

Working...
        X