over the counter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• over the counter

o.k. so I looked through the handbook and couldn't find anything about what kinds of over the counter pain meds are safe. I want to start with those first. Also I get headaches alot. I saw somewhere that asprin is bad, but what else is bad and what is safe? I'm scared to put anything in my mouth!
    "That which doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger."

Hi.
    My Dr. said not to take anything with an anti-inflamatory so that meant no Ibuprofen. Advil or celebrex..(And if you look at the list of foods to avoid on the sight for prelief Ibuprofen is on that list)... All of which I used for back pain and shoulder pain.. He said they could make the IC worse.. The only thing he could recommend was Tylenol.. and for me that does not always cut the pain...
    Hope you can find something that works
    ~~Pam~~
    God brought me to it, He will bring me through it!!!

Diagnosed 2003
    by cysto/hydro
    Elmiron took almost a year- made me sick, caused diarrhea
    Pyridium -Made me sick
    Detrol and Ditropan, Toviaz and Mrrbetriq- caused constipation and head ache.
    Tried DMSO instill- had 5 out of 6
    Started Oxytrol Patch-stopped using them after 3 months-- skin was getting irritated
    Cysto/hydro April 6th 2011-- on expansion only hold one cup
    IBS/ IC
    High blood pressure meds and Crestor
    Metformin (prediabetic)
    Sinequan (depression)

Comment

Hi-
      I have tried ibuprofen and muscle relaxers in the past and they both and put in terrilbe flare. The muscle relaxers ended putting me in the ER.
      I hope that you find something that works for you.
      I can be tough to be in pain...I totally understand.
      Take care-
      Alana

Peace, Love, Health, and Happiness!
      Alana

Comment

Hello I just wanted to say Tylenol works depending on how much pain you have, I think it is best to take something before the pain gets too bad. I have prescription meds for the pain that is too far gone. I also have a implanted pain pump which I would not do without. If I can help with any questions, please let me know.
        Hope things get better for you. Take care and ask questions this site is the best.
        Sue
        Sue

Comment

Hi Lori Jo,
          Instead of oral meds, I use "Migraine Ice" patches available over the counter for headaches. You stick the patch on your forehead or back of neck. They've stopped many a headache from progressing & they don't cause a flare at all

Tylenol or Advil can give me a bad flare if I take it without Prelief. (Wish I'd known that when I first got sick - couldn't figure out why my pain was getting worse!! ) I've taken it with Prelief & can still feel it in my bladder, but not so awful... Depending on your sensitivity, maybe that would work for you?

Hope that's helpful & you find something that works for you!!!
          Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
          I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
          ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
          Source - Pinterest
          "

Current treatments:
          -IC diet
          -Elavil 50mg at night
          -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
          -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
          -Pyridium if needed,
          -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
          -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
          -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
          -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
          -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
          -Managing stress= VERY important!
          -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

My uro told me I could take advil, up to 800 mg per day, only if necessary. I have Crohns and advil is terrible for the erosions, but there are times that i HAVE to have something extra, and the advil helps a lot. I take is VERY sparingly, like twice a week when even the narcotic pain meds dont help.

I dont advice taking it on a regular basis because it can cause more problems with the Ic, but it can also help. You just have to weigh the odds and figure out what helps, what doesnt, etc. I am not endorsing this, just saying what my doc said. Always follow your doc's advice keeping in mind that there are alternatives to their advice and seeking a second opinion is a good thing sometimes.

I dont want anyone to go out and take the advil, because everyone's situation is different. When I had the worst flare of my life, I HAD to take the IB because it helped the pain, a little.......

Just be careful, and like I said, kind of like a disclaimer, do what you've read and been told by an MD. Thats what I do and so far so good......I just dont go over the dose he recommeneded.

Good luck, Sandy

Comment

Working...
            X