Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unbelievable appt with doc...was called an ADDICT & that I need rehab...plz read!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And we trust these people so much !

I am truly sorry to hear how this Dr treated you. I suffer from depression , have for 30 years and have Fibro so I seem to always have pain somewhere. I know I put so much trust in my Therapist and Psychiatrist that being treated like you were would be so hurtful. You really need an explanation as to where she is coming from with all of this , but that seems to be easier said than done to talk back to these people. I agree that you should see another Dr and tell this new doc what happened with the old doc. Go into this being very upfront that , no you are not an addict but are in a lot of pain. Sometimes it seems we need to educate our doctors about IC. You may have had a Dr that just didn't believe that IC exists as a physical, painful thing. I feel many days that everyone around me thinks this stuff is all in my head because I always have an ache or pain somewhre. I am not a hypocondriac as I hate going to doctors. Hypocondriacs tend to run to the Dr constantly. And even if I was one, I would deserve decent respectful treatment.

Comment

I am not sure about therapist per say. I find when you go to a new Dr. of any sort they get you to fill out questionnaires and sometimes you can tell by the questions asked on it what area is their expertise, or area they mostly treat, so where their knowledge base lies.

I do think you need to report this treatment, the Dr. may just need a reminder from a superior about proper behavior.

I reported a physical therapist, she was treating my son, I had bought a brace that cost over $2,000 for his elbow. We knew he had another surgery coming up on his elbow, and was going to need it again, so I was hanging on to it, besides for the fact it was custom fit.

Anyway this therapist gave one of here pt's our name, phone number and address, we live in a neighboring town.

This lady called out of the blue one day said we was on her way over to pick up the brace, she needed it, she had our contact info was just checking to see that we were going to be home when she arrived. I was really taken a back. I said no we own it, and I would need to talk it over with my son and husband before lending it too her, she was really pushy and insisted, and that when she was done with it she was going to donate it to the hospital the therapist was at.

I would lend the shirt off my back to any one in need, but mama bear kicked in and refused and said I would let her know.

After a day or two when I could breath again, I wrote a letter to the top person at the hospital, I cc it to the therapist. I did not want her to loose her job, just some action to be done as to privacy issues, etc. and the stress she cause my family.

Anyway the hospital wrote me a very apologetic letter back and had told me that they had 3 seminars booked mandatory for all hospital employees to attend, to remind everyone about privacy issues.

I know yours was a different type of violation, but if the Dr. is treating other pt's this way they will end up loosing their job over it and harm who knows how many other people along the way.

Wishing ood luck in your quest to find a good Dr.
      My are with you all. May you all find a way to peace and joy in your lives.

Comment

I am appalled that this therapist gave out your personal information to someone else without your permisson! Besides the fact that he was still using it AND that YOU owned it! That other patient had no right to call you and be so pushy! You would have thought she would have asked nicely if you were finished and would mind if she used it, but to DEMAND that way and be so pushy! How rude! You should have put her place! If she calls again, I hope you do! You did the right thing letting the hospital know. I sure hope they take note and follow thru with what they told you they were going to do.
        Originally posted by Mothergoose View Post
        I am not sure about therapist per say. I find when you go to a new Dr. of any sort they get you to fill out questionnaires and sometimes you can tell by the questions asked on it what area is their expertise, or area they mostly treat, so where their knowledge base lies.

I do think you need to report this treatment, the Dr. may just need a reminder from a superior about proper behavior.

I reported a physical therapist, she was treating my son, I had bought a brace that cost over $2,000 for his elbow. We knew he had another surgery coming up on his elbow, and was going to need it again, so I was hanging on to it, besides for the fact it was custom fit.

Anyway this therapist gave one of here pt's our name, phone number and address, we live in a neighboring town.

This lady called out of the blue one day said we was on her way over to pick up the brace, she needed it, she had our contact info was just checking to see that we were going to be home when she arrived. I was really taken a back. I said no we own it, and I would need to talk it over with my son and husband before lending it too her, she was really pushy and insisted, and that when she was done with it she was going to donate it to the hospital the therapist was at.

I would lend the shirt off my back to any one in need, but mama bear kicked in and refused and said I would let her know.

After a day or two when I could breath again, I wrote a letter to the top person at the hospital, I cc it to the therapist. I did not want her to loose her job, just some action to be done as to privacy issues, etc. and the stress she cause my family.

Anyway the hospital wrote me a very apologetic letter back and had told me that they had 3 seminars booked mandatory for all hospital employees to attend, to remind everyone about privacy issues.

I know yours was a different type of violation, but if the Dr. is treating other pt's this way they will end up loosing their job over it and harm who knows how many other people along the way.

Wishing ood luck in your quest to find a good Dr.
        I am not a medical professional. I do not give medical advice. In all cases, I urge you to talk to your Dr. about your treatment options.

D/Xed 2003 with IC. Also have the co-existing condtions of VV, Vulvadynia, Lupus, Fibro, GERD, CPP, Endo, & Adhesions, and Depression

Meds: Estrogel (due to total Hyster)
        The meds r/xed by my Pain Dr. from the Pain Clinic are as follows: Morphine ER and IR, Baclofen, and Lyrica and Seroquel (used off-label as a sleeping pill, but it also helps with depression)

(I listed my meds in case someone reading this has been told like so many ICers that Drs dont r/x pain meds for IC.) I want you to know that there ARE tons of us who are also dealing w/this disease and the pain and many of us ARE on pain meds.)

John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have everlasting life.

Comment

This did happen a few years ago, I did put her in her place and the hospital made her write me an apology and they sent me copies of the memo that went out requiring all workers to take the seminar they put on, and they followed up on their inserivce meeting times.

What can you do there are stupid people in this world. But quite frankly it scared me, and for my son's safety. It just so happened to be at a time when he was having to move and stay in that town for his high school schooling.

I had nightmares that this lady figured out who he was and stalked him, of course this never happened, but our info should never have been given out. Alls they needed to do was call and ask me if they could give her my info. I probably would have lent it to her, and gotten it back when my son needed it again. We since have lent it to a man in that town, but he was a friend of a friend and we got it back.

I thought the nerve of her telling me she was going to donate it to the hospital, when she was done with it too through me.

Anyways water under the bridge but I do feel bad treatment by any professional should be reported.

MG
          My are with you all. May you all find a way to peace and joy in your lives.

Comment

Psychiatrists opposed to opiate prescribing for non-cancer pain

In the US, the psychiatrists association put out a new guideline (I think it was 2009 or 2010, I think I linked to it in an earlier post) - it basically advised psychiatrist members that they should be much more cautious about prescribing opiates for non-cancer pain, and essentially more reluctant. They believed that opiates were underprescribed for pain for a decade but then shifted to being much overprescribed. I found it helpful to realize that a psch. with these opinions might just be following the guidelines of their professional association. And that there are other guidelines in medicine that disagree with this opinion.

As I see it, anyone in this position has two options -- find a different counsellor/psychiatrist who believes that pain is a disease or that patients should not have to endure pain, or print some evidence literature and take it to an appointment, asking the person if they will read it. There is strong evidence that shows chances of addiction are very low (when opiates are prescribed to a non-cancer pain patient) if there has been no previous history of any kind of addiction.
            ______
            Severe IC developed fairly quickly, autumn 2010.
            So severe that I was bed-bound & on 160mg/day morphine to cope with torturous pain levels, and unable to function other than hospital/medical appointments, for seven months. Then, miracle of miracles, something started working. I am steadily lowering the methadone dose level. I have been far out of that desperate nightmare hell zone for several months now and continue to improve.

- Ranitidine (anti-histamine, H2-inhibitor) 300mg/day
            - Methadone 9 ml/day
            - Instillations:
            - 40ml Kenalog (steroid for inflammation) 2 x per
            week, along with rescue cocktail of heparin,
            lidocaine, sodium bicarbonate
            - 20ml Uracyst, monthly @ $100/per
            - Depo lupron injections for endometriosis, monthly @ $88/per

Comment

You should report her to her supervisor and find another counselor. She obviously doesn't understand anything about the pain of IC. A lot of people have to take pain meds. It's not that they prefer to, but when it's the only thing that works you have to do something. She sounds really insensitive.
              Update! Feeling much better these days and no longer on any meds!

Pelvic pain began July 2008. Urinary frequency began in November of 2008. IC Doctor says I'm one of the worst frequency patients he has had.

Things that helped me the most: IC Diet, Elavil (30mg), Elmiron since June '09 (500mg/day).

Previously tried and quit: one series of six instillations, Neurontin, Ditropan, Oxytrol, electric stimulation to the pelvic floor, Desert Harvest Aloe, Cystoprotek and Flomax, Hydroxyzine (50mg), Alesse Birth control (this helped my period flares when my symptoms used to be bad), PTNS (I think this helped).

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
              X