Medical Marijuana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medical Marijuana

I am just starting the research on this form of pain management. I have been Narcotics every day, several times a day for over 5 years. I am unfortunately dont have access to a pain clinic that will treat IC and Fibromyalgia pain. So I was seen by one 3 years ago and he was 1 1/2 hours from my house so he wouldnt prescribe pain meds himself, he write to my pcp and had him do prescribing for me so that I would have to drive 1 1/2 hours once a month to get the new prescriptions....
    So my PCP is doing all the narcotic meds and he isnt comfortable doing so, and the meds that I have been taking the same since 3 years ago have started to lose their effectiveness on the pain.
    I am kinda at a loss and not sure what to do now. I began researching Medical
    Marijuana and am wondering if there is anyone at all that takes it and if so what is their experiences with it....?
    SO if there is someone out there with some experience with Medical Marijuana I would love some information.
    I would love to chat with anyone that has any other suggestions for pain and what I can do to help it....very disabling.
    Thanks
    Kirs
    Started Vaginal Valium Suppositories April 2014
    Hysterectomy April 2003 (for abdominal pain),Diagnosed with IC August 2003
    Diagnosed with Pelvic Floor Disorder 2004,Had right ovary and fallopan tube removed 2005
    Diagnosed with diverticulosis 2006,Interstim December 2006,Home Instillations 2007-not effective
    Diagnosed with Fibromyalgia November 2007,Appendectomy February 2008,
    Interstim repair December 2008,Removal of the Interstim August 2011,
    6 Hydrodistentions from 2003-2009 Diagnosed with restless leg syndrome March 2014
    Diagnosed with Raynaud's Syndrome November 2013
    Ambien 5mg for sleep.
    Elivil 50 mg at bed
    Lisinopril 20mg in AM
    Effexor 225 mg
    Oxycodone 10 mgs 2 x a day for pain
    Baclofen 20mg 3x a day
    Phenazopyridine 200 mg as needed
    Omeprazole 20 mg at night
    Lyrica 450 mg daily
    Requip .50 mg at night
    Ketorolac 10 mg as needed for migraines

Medical Marijuana

Hey Kirs, I tried using the product K2 because Medical Marijuana isn't legal here but that K2 stuff is. It Definitely works for me, but I had to try a few times before I smoked the correct amount. I found if I got very stoned.....I thought about my problem pain. That wasn't fun at all. Then I used less and it worked fine for me. I'm not a drug user and I hate the effects of Percocet but that was what I needed for pain. If I flare-up no amount of weed will stop that pain...I'm talkin' every once in a while kind of pain. My pain is every day and I need to pee about every hour some times it's every 10 or '15 min without letup lasting about 2 1/2 hours' that's when only Percocet can help me. Good luck finding what you need!
    ~Jimmy
    Last edited by jimmydickens; 03-01-2011, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Hi Kirs,

I've written this out in an email to someone in the past and I thought it would be helpful for you to read my take of MJ as well:

I started smoking marijuana recreationaly about 6 years ago -- I started using it medicinally just over a year ago. I do not have a prescription for it, but my doctor knows that I use it regularly and does not have a problem with it. I live in Canada in a city that is fairly permissive about MJ use, so I don't live in fear of "getting busted."

Normally I smoke it (in a joint or by vaporizer). I have also baked it into brownies, but I find that it is more effective to inhale it, rather than eat it if I'm wanting pain relief/distraction ASAP. I only use MJ at home (or in the home's of my friends who are understanding).

If I feel a flare starting and I am at home, I will smoke a few tokes and jump in a hot shower (if I can). The pot doesn't erase the pain, but it turns the sharp stabbing pain into a much more tolerable dull ache. In some cases, it stops the pain all together, but only if it is a minor flare. The effect lasts for 30min to an hour, depending on how much I smoked (and how bad the flare is). Usually the marijuana keeps the pain in check long enough for the AZO to reach my bladder.

Marijuana has doubled my productivity. Because I'm so tired all of the time (interrupted sleep, stress from chronic pain, etc), I find it hard to want to get out of the house to exercise or even just do chores. Since I started using marijuana medicinally, I have lost 20 pounds from being able to go out for walks, doing more chores, having more sex with my partner, etc. It is both a much needed physical and mental relief from the day-in-day-out stress of IC and chronic pain.

I don't experience any unwanted sides effects really, but, like I mentioned, I have been using MJ for over 6 years now and I know my limits and reactions. The "worst" side-effect is dry mouth, but considering that helps me to get drinking more water when I'm in a flare, I don't consider it a downside.

I am obviously an advocate for the legalization of marijuana (both for medicinal and recreational use). Study after study show that marijuana is far less damaging to the brain than alcohol. I believe that everyone should have the right to access the medicine that will help them cope with chronic pain and illness. Marijuana has helped me get my life back to a point where I feel hopeful for the future -- I can do a lot more of the things that I used to be able to do before IC.

I hope that there was something in my answer that was helpful to you. I wish that you get the help and resources you need to manage your pain!
      Me: Canadian. 31.

IC symptoms: Cramping, burning, frequency. Pain!

Pain management: Ibuprofen. AZO. Marijuana. Prelief. The IC Diet.

My IC-safe, Gluten-free, Lactose-free food blog:
      Good for Your Guts

Comment

I use medical marijuana and have found that the "white's" work best for my bladder spasms and pain. The whites also help lessen my body-wide muscle spasm's. The kush's (ex: blueberry) don't do so much for the pain or spasm, but the effect on me is more cerebral...does not stone me out as I don't need large quantities to feel that mental lift that helps me function and enjoy my day. A little white something with a little kush seems to be a good combo for me. Every one is different, but my caregiver has received good reports from other people about the whites working well for pain and spasm.
        I generally smoke it. I think I would do edibles, if I could. But, I have major food allergies and there really are not any cooking fats I can use without trouble.
        I recently lost my medical coverage and had to go off of Savella and Lyrica. This has been my saving grace. It's not for everyone though.
        Please consider food allergy testing. My regular doc thought the idea was pointless. My IC doc referred me to allergist and I found I have severe multiple food allergies that seem to be causing the bulk of my bad IC symptoms.

Severe IC w/Hunners Ulcers, Fibromyalgia, Chronic Myofascial Pain, Severe Multiple Food Allergies(corn, milk, egg, beef, tomato, string bean, peas, sulfites) w/severe enviro allergies to go along.

Current Meds:

Amitriptyline 10mg @ bedtime
        Atarax - 50 mg @ bedtime
        Loratadine - 10mg in morning
        Pepcid - 20 mg in morning
        Klonopin - .5 as needed & @ bedtime
        Endocet 10/325 - as needed
        Flexeril - as needed
        Prelief as needed

On harsh diet. Low-acid IC diet with 100% avoidance of egg, corn, milk, and sulfites. Not fun at all...

Didn't Help:
        Pyridium as needed
        Elmiron instills 2x/week

Stopped due to loss of medical coverage:
        Lyrica - 150mg 2x day
        Savella - 50mg 2x day
        Elmiron - 100mg 3x day

Procedures:

7-8-09 Laparoscopy, hysterscopy, D&C, endometrial ablasion, bladder hydrodistention and cystoscopy. Found large fibroid on outside of uterus and removed it and they found large Hunners Ulcurs on my bladder indicating moderate to severe IC.

Comment

Thank you

I really appreciate how open you all were with me. I understand that is like everything else it is different with every person. I am still doing research but have decided that I am going to give it a try. I really am at wits end here. With all the Narcotics not working as they did before and they way that they make me feel.
          I am trying to go into this with an open mind. I am probably the last person in the world that would have tried this. I am ready and open to different options these days because the bad days are really out numbering the good days lately.
          Again thank you for your openness it has been really helpful.
          Thanks
          Kirs
          Diagnosed with Pelvic Floor Disorder 2004,Had right ovary and fallopan tube removed 2005
          Diagnosed with diverticulosis 2006,Interstim December 2006,Home Instillations 2007-not effective
          6 Hydrodistentions from 2003-2009 Diagnosed with restless leg syndrome March 2014
          Ambien 5mg for sleep.
          Elivil 50 mg at bed
          Lisinopril 20mg in AM
          Effexor 225 mg
          Baclofen 20mg 3x a day
          Lyrica 450 mg daily
          Requip .50 mg at night

Comment

I have been smoking pot for 3 years now. After I first got diagnosed I used to smoke everyday when I wasn't at work or school and my IC got a lot better. I didn't go to the dr for over a year. I didnt realize what a diagnosis of IC entailed plus some of my other conditions. I am in the process of trying to get a medicinal marijuana card so I can smoke for my pain. It works better than any narcotic and like some others have said it makes me have energy. When I smoke I can clean, exercise, or just lay down and relax. I haven't notices any increase in symptoms when I'm high.
            Diagnosis: IC '09, vulvodynia '10, fructose intolerance '06, GERD '06, fibromyalgia '09, IBS '10 and TMJ '09, PCOS '11, genital herpes '12

Current Meds: Butrans patch, welbutrin, lamictol, geodon, xanax, aldactone, linzess, topimax, trazadone and diflucan as needed.

Meds tried before: Elmiron, elavil, antibiotics, welbutrin, cymbalta, prozac, nerve blocks, instills, nyastatin, flexerol, percocet, naproxen (which was what I was given for pain for years).

Comment

Thank you

I guess what I need to do is to try it a few times and see if there is a difference...I am taking my pain med's right.
              Should I continue my normals meds and add this too them, because my ultimate goal is to be off narcotic at some point.
              Maine is working on building the dispensaries for Medicinal Marijuana, but it will be a while before it is up and running.
              Thank you again I really appreciate it....
              Ambien 5mg for sleep.
              Elivil 50 mg at bed
              Lisinopril 20mg in AM
              Effexor 225 mg
              Baclofen 20mg 3x a day
              Lyrica 450 mg daily
              Requip .50 mg at night

Comment

When I smoke I don't take any pain meds. If you start to get pain I would smoke some until it goes away and then it can last anywhere from 1 hour to 6 hours it just depends. Just smoke some more when you feel pain and if you still have pain after you smoke you can take a pain pill too. I have taken both at the same time when I'm in really bad shape.. usually when I'm on my period.
                Diagnosis: IC '09, vulvodynia '10, fructose intolerance '06, GERD '06, fibromyalgia '09, IBS '10 and TMJ '09, PCOS '11, genital herpes '12

Current Meds: Butrans patch, welbutrin, lamictol, geodon, xanax, aldactone, linzess, topimax, trazadone and diflucan as needed.

Meds tried before: Elmiron, elavil, antibiotics, welbutrin, cymbalta, prozac, nerve blocks, instills, nyastatin, flexerol, percocet, naproxen (which was what I was given for pain for years).

Comment

medical mj

Originally posted by jimmydickens View Post
                  Hey Kirs, I tried using the product K2 because Medical Marijuana isn't legal here buy that stuff is. It Definitely works for me, but I had to try a few amounts before I smoked the correct amount. I found if I got very stoned I always thought about my problem pain. That wasn't fun at all. Then I used less and for it worked fine for me. I'm not a drug user and I hate the effects of Percocet but that was what I needed for pain. If I flare-up no amount of weed will stop that pain...I'm talkin' every once in a while kind of pain. My pain is every day and I need to pee about every hour some times it's every 10 or '15 min without letup lasting about 2 1/2 hours' that's when only Percocet can help me. Good luck finding what you need!
                  ~Jimmy

Jimmy,
                  If you don't mind my asking, what is K2(I thought it was a very tall mountain in Nepal!), and where in Va. do you get it?
                  Thanks

Comment

K2

Originally posted by bubbe1 View Post
                    Jimmy,
                    If you don't mind my asking, what is K2(I thought it was a very tall mountain in Nepal!), and where in Va. do you get it?
                    Thanks
                    It's a kind of Incense or herbal smoking blend with lots of different brands on the market but ONLY buy this synthetic marijuana (K2) from the real deal company. It smells like and smokes like pot. I smoked a whole bowl when I first tried it. I didn't know how much I should start with. What a mistake that was...I was ripped out stoned off my as*. I didn't want that! I had a lot of things to do that day but I just stayed home playing on the internet watching youtube clips.....what a wasted day.
                    Where to buy it? The mailman will bring it to your door when you order it on line or just go to a local head-shop. The read deal has a stamp (seal) from the company. There are a lot of fake K2 sales going on but none of these fakes have the seal on the pack.
                    Look it up, dig deeper for correct info, don't believe everything the DEA sells as facts about it. I'm sure they'll sell it as some near-death experience dangerous substance we should want them to protect us from. Hey, as I read this to myself I sound like I have issues with them? I don't have issues with them or anyother police branch. Synthetic marijuana AND a very tall mountain in Nepal! Good luck with your quest!
                    ~Jimmy

Comment

K2 is illegal in ohio now. I'm working on getting my card to smoke medicinal in michigan. I'll keep everyone posted when and if I can get it. I'm pretty sure I can because I also have depression and fibromyalgia which I know you can get it for those 2 things.

Comment

Medical MJ

Originally posted by jimmydickens View Post
                        It's a kind of Incense or herbal smoking blend with lots of different brands on the market but ONLY buy this synthetic marijuana (K2) from the real deal company. It smells like and smokes like pot. I smoked a whole bowl when I first tried it. I didn't know how much I should start with. What a mistake that was...I was ripped out stoned off my as*. I didn't want that! I had a lot of things to do that day but I just stayed home playing on the internet watching youtube clips.....what a wasted day.
                        Where to buy it? The mailman will bring it to your door when you order it on line or just go to a local head-shop. The read deal has a stamp (seal) from the company. There are a lot of fake K2 sales going on but none of these fakes have the seal on the pack.
                        Look it up, dig deeper for correct info, don't believe everything the DEA sells as facts about it. I'm sure they'll sell it as some near-death experience dangerous substance we should want them to protect us from. Hey, as I read this to myself I sound like I have issues with them? I don't have issues with them or anyother police branch. Synthetic marijuana AND a very tall mountain in Nepal! Good luck with your quest!
                        ~Jimmy
                        Jimmy,
                        Thanks so much for the info. and the smiles! At least you didn't get a major case of the munchies!
                        And the quest continues.
                        Laurie

Comment

munchies

Originally posted by bubbe1 View Post
                          Jimmy,
                          Thanks so much for the info. and the smiles! At least you didn't get a major case of the munchies!
                          And the quest continues.
                          Laurie
                          Oh Laurie, I forgot to add that part! I had lots of chair dancing going on AND I ate a pint of vanilla ice cream!
                          I have it down now with just a few puffs any more than that and I'm watching videos again
                          ~Jimmy

Comment

K2 vs marijuana

I just wanted to to chime in and say that before you try either marijuana or K2 ("synthetic marijuana") do your research first.

Personally, and this is not to detract from Jimmy's positive experiences, I would never use K2 (or "Spice") as it is a synthetic product. Basically, K2 is a mixture of dried herbs that have been sprayed with chemical compounds that had been isolated from cannabis. You can go look up which exact compounds they use, but they are not "natural" -- K2 is a synthetic drug (and some companies who make it have been proven not to list everything they put into it).

While Jimmy is right in pointing out that any gov't literature usually favours the "drugs of all kinds are bad and will lead you to hell" argument, there is a distinct lack of research into the long term effects of K2 use, whereas there is plenty of research into MJ use (especially as a pain reliever).

I'm just old-school on this one. I don't take prescription drugs because I don't like putting synthetic products into my body if I can avoid it. I just wanted throw this out my two cents to anyone considering using either.
                            Last edited by klite; 03-02-2011, 05:26 AM.
                            Me: Canadian. 31.

IC symptoms: Cramping, burning, frequency. Pain!

Pain management: Ibuprofen. AZO. Marijuana. Prelief. The IC Diet.

My IC-safe, Gluten-free, Lactose-free food blog:
                            Good for Your Guts

Comment

marijuana or K2?

.....there is a distinct lack of research into the long term effects of K2 use, whereas there is plenty of research into MJ use (especially as a pain reliever).....

That's true Klite, but as I said "herbal smoking blend with lots of different brands on the market but ONLY buy this synthetic marijuana (K2) from the real deal company"
                              MJ will land you in jail, K2 won't (as of yet) I'm in Southern Virginia. I would ONLY smoke MJ if I could get it legal. That's just me...I can't even think about how much my IC would hurt me if I had to deal with that AND jail time....yikeeeessss!
                              Hope they find a cure soon!

peace

~Jimmy

Comment

Working...
                              X