Tramadol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tramadol

I got this prescribed today instead of tylenol 3.

Ive read its very addictive, more or less than tylenol 3, I do not know?

Took 2 this evening and pain has gone away.

Tell me about your experiences please! and thank you

I have taken ultram/tramadol over the years for many things and never got addicted. I was prescribed them for drug induced pancreatitis and headaches. I personally believe if u have an addictive personality or genetic risk factors (dependency issues in ur fam) then ur more likely to get addicted. Tramadol is the lowest of narcotic meds. U have more of a risk of being addicted to vicodin, percocet, oxycotons...
    Diagnosis: IC '09, vulvodynia '10, fructose intolerance '06, GERD '06, fibromyalgia '09, IBS '10 and TMJ '09, PCOS '11, genital herpes '12

Current Meds: Butrans patch, welbutrin, lamictol, geodon, xanax, aldactone, linzess, topimax, trazadone and diflucan as needed.

Meds tried before: Elmiron, elavil, antibiotics, welbutrin, cymbalta, prozac, nerve blocks, instills, nyastatin, flexerol, percocet, naproxen (which was what I was given for pain for years).

Comment

When I first was diagnosed with IC I went to a male urologist who didn't know a lot, but was willing to help. He gave me hydracodone and narco (which are strong pain meds), but they didn't help the IC pain at all.

I went to a doc that specialized in IC and they gave me Tramadol. What a God send!!! Tramadol is the only thing that will take away my IC pain. It's different somehow than the other hardcore pain meds.

It works. I always make sure I have some so that in case I get into a flare I can take it. My doc believes in treating the pain fast so that you don't get into a "pain cycle".

I don't have to take much either, just one pill once or twice a day during a flare and it helps.

Thank you Lord for Tramadol!

Comment

Hi there! I'm glad to hear that Tramadol does seem to work for some IC patients, cause in my experience it was not effective at all for my pain. I really was hoping that it would work for me too because a lot of doctors seem to feel a lot safer prescribing it vs. other narcotic pain meds. However, I have read about so many pain patients who take Tramadol and end up getting something called Serotonin Syndrome, so do be aware of that. Especially if you are also taking a SSRI, like certain anti-depressants are.

As far as addiction goes, yes, Tramadol (like all pain meds) can be addicting and it can happen to anyone. However, there is a huge difference between addiction, tolerance, and physical dependence on a medication. The majority of true chronic pain patients who end up truly addicted is not that large, but all pain patients who take any pain meds on a daily/regular basis for any length of time will become tolerant and physically dependent on that med and your body will have withdrawals from that medication if it is stopped abruptly. That is not addiction. For me, taking my pain meds helps me to be a productive person and live my life in a little less pain while doing the things that have to get done. An addict abusing a drug gets high and becomes less productive and drops out of daily life, and does not care about what needs to be done so long as they are able to get "high".

Comment

Originally posted by Sheila6830 View Post
          What a God send!!! Tramadol is the only thing that will take away my IC pain. It's different somehow than the other hardcore pain meds.
          Agreed! For some reason, Tramadol just clicks with me. I've been prescribed Vicodin (for a really bad UTI) and Percocet (for a laparoscopy) but all they really do is make me really drowsy. The whole time I was just wishing I had Tramadol. I have to be careful not to take it too regularly though otherwise I will become physically dependent. Right now I've only been taking it when I have to go to my physically demanding job 3 times a week.
          Diagnosed With:
          IC, IBS, Endometriosis

Cystoscopy/Hydrodistention (2009, 2018)
          Colonoscopy (2010, 2017)
          Endoscopy/PillCam (2017)
          Diagnostic Laparoscopy (2011,2018)
          Appendectomy (2018)

Comment

Working...
          X