Scared to take new med

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scared to take new med

I seriously have so many meds in my cabinet it is pathetic. So many need to be thrown out because they haven't worked. Well...now...I have new scripts for Ambien (for sleep), Ativan (for sleep and/or flares), Tramadol (Ultram) for pain instead of using Naproxen, and Gabapentin for nerve pain.

I am SUCH a baby. I'm scared to try the new meds. I'll be ok with the Ativan but I'm so nervous to try Gabapentin because I read it causes dizziness. (I already feel sort of dizzy because of frequent migraine symptoms and anxiety). I hate pain relievers but desperately need something on hand that can be used instead of the same ole Naproxen... And I most definitely need good sleep.

The anxiety from having to take meds makes me even more anxious.

I just need encouragement I think. Why am I such a baby? I complain from misery, yet I'm scared to take the meds the doctors prescribe. Ummm.... not good.
    Frances

Diagnosed: 2011 - have had symptoms for over 20 years. Diagnoses so far: Overactive Bladder, then IC, and now Myofacial Pelvic Pain Syndrome.

Medicines: For IC am doing PT, and will be taking Gabapentin, Ativan, Tramadol and Ambien. Ice packs and drinking vanilla shakes help. Foods that cause a flare, tomatoes, yogurt, coffee, soda, all sports drinks, and most teas. Take Verapamil, Naproxen (as needed), Omeprazole, Frova (as needed) and receive Botox shots(every three months) for migraines. For allergies I use Claritin and Flonase. (Feel free to ask me any questions about meds.)

Other conditions: Migraines, allergies, mild IBS.

"If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." (Matthew 21:22)

Your feeling is legit. I can be the same way too. What I do before I try the medication is go online and only look at the very bad side effects. Looking at the smaller ones only cause me anxiety because I am just sitting and waiting for one of the side effects to take hold. I also remind myself that if something happens I will be able to discontinue it. IE it's not going to ruin my life forever. I also look at it like, "Well in the future I'll be glad I tried it back then instead of waiting until that day!"

I know it's hard but you'll get through it!

Comment

Thanks Andrea. I hope you are not awake at 3am like I am. I do hope you can get rest. But perhaps you are on the west coast and up at a normal time.

I'm filling my scripts tomorrow. My flare tonight has pushed me almost over the edge and now I'm desperate I think. I just can't read about side effects or I'll go mad.
      Frances

Diagnosed: 2011 - have had symptoms for over 20 years. Diagnoses so far: Overactive Bladder, then IC, and now Myofacial Pelvic Pain Syndrome.

Medicines: For IC am doing PT, and will be taking Gabapentin, Ativan, Tramadol and Ambien. Ice packs and drinking vanilla shakes help. Foods that cause a flare, tomatoes, yogurt, coffee, soda, all sports drinks, and most teas. Take Verapamil, Naproxen (as needed), Omeprazole, Frova (as needed) and receive Botox shots(every three months) for migraines. For allergies I use Claritin and Flonase. (Feel free to ask me any questions about meds.)

"If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." (Matthew 21:22)

Comment

I always try to remember that side effects don't happen to everyone and some will go away over time. From your other post tonight, it sounds like you really need some further IC treatment. It's ok to be a bit nervous, but medicines exist to help us. I was so grateful when I first tried Elavil and I slept for a whole four hours at once!!! (I hadn't been able to sleep more than 20 minutes at a time in 2 months before that.) After a few weeks, I was sleeping through the night most nights. I was so glad I tried the medicine. I hope you have similarly good results and that the medicines bring you much needed relief!
        Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
        I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
        ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
        Source - Pinterest
        "

Current treatments:
        -IC diet
        -Elavil 50mg at night
        -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
        -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
        -Pyridium if needed,
        -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
        -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
        -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
        -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
        -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
        -Managing stress= VERY important!
        -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

Yeah it's only 12:18pm here. I haven't had a normal sleep schedule in a week though. I did manage a nap this afternoon so that could be why I am wide awake.

My tummy is also gurgling so I am afraid to fall alseep. At this rate I probably will be away at 3 just like you.

Comment

OH no Andrea! I hope you can sleep soon. I love to nap and do often. However, it messes up my sleep. (Your puppies are precious by the way!)

Kadi...you were going pee every 20 minutes for two straight months. Did I understand you correctly? WOW... How did you function???
            Frances

Comment

Thanks! Yeah, I am going to have to be persistent with the Uro staff this morning. I have a feeling they'll be like, "Give it a day or 2." or something like that. If there's one good about having IC it's that I have learned to be more assertive especially when it comes to my health.

Comment

The others are right. You never know, you may not even have those side effects, and even if you do, you can always stop the med and have your Dr. switch you to something else.

Alot of ICers take Neurontin and it works well for them for nerve related pain. I take Lyrica for nerve pain and it works really well for me, and so far no side effects at all!

But, yeah, I know what ya mean about all these meds! Read my sig and you'll see the mess of them I am on! But, ya gotta do what ya gotta do! And if I didnt take them, I would never be able to clean my house, play with my child, or have relations with my husband, (among other things.) So, give them a try, and if they dont work out, let your Dr. know right away.

Hope they work for you!

Hugs,
                Amaranthe
                I am not a medical professional. I do not give medical advice. In all cases, I urge you to talk to your Dr. about your treatment options.

D/Xed 2003 with IC. Also have the co-existing condtions of VV, Vulvadynia, Lupus, Fibro, GERD, CPP, Endo, & Adhesions, and Depression

Meds: Estrogel (due to total Hyster)
                The meds r/xed by my Pain Dr. from the Pain Clinic are as follows: Morphine ER and IR, Baclofen, and Lyrica and Seroquel (used off-label as a sleeping pill, but it also helps with depression)

(I listed my meds in case someone reading this has been told like so many ICers that Drs dont r/x pain meds for IC.) I want you to know that there ARE tons of us who are also dealing w/this disease and the pain and many of us ARE on pain meds.)

John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have everlasting life.

Comment

If you're awake at 3:00 am you might want to consider taking the ordered ambien --- it can be a huge help in getting a good night of sleep. I take it occasionally when I have gone several days without sleeping well.

Donna
                  Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
                  Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
                  Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                  [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Thanks everyone. Will be filling the scripts soon. Your encouragement has been a tremendous help. First med I'm trying is the Ambien! Will keep you updated!
                    Frances

Comment

Hi,
                      In answer to your question, yes, I was having to void every 20 minutes - night & day for the first hellish 2 months of my IC. How did I function? Not well at all. I barely made it to work each day, my coworkers helped me a LOT, my students seemed to realize I was very ill and were (for adolescents) very compassionate overall. Pretty much all of my life just plain stopped, couldn't sit through a movie, couldn't wear jeans, couldn't exercise, couldn't sit through a church service. I was very very ill. Thank God for this website, the diet, the medicines, and the very helpful medical care I received eventually. (It took awhile to get diagnosed and to find caring, competent doctors.)

But today my life is pretty good. I work fulltime most days without any problem (I do have accommodations - extra restroom breaks and my teaching day ends 50 minutes early 4 days a week - by having my prep period at the end of the day), I attend church regularly, I exercise at a gym or take walks, I wear jeans every day just because I can, and I travel (best of all)! Since I got IC, I've been to Vancouver BC, Portland & Ashland OR, Houston, Raleigh NC, San Diego CA, Chattanooga TN, Málaga, Spain.

I'm telling you this to give you hope. My first year with IC was desperate and I wasn't sure what I would get back, if anything. The diet helps a lot, the medicines help a lot, having a great support system helps a lot, and taking things one day at a time - is how parts of my life I've been able to reclaim.

I hope you find relief soon! One of the great things about this message board is that we can see IC patients get better!!! Once you get your treatment plan underway, you'll be amazed at how much better things can get (and importantly, you'll have a new and true appreciation of health after this...)

Wishing you better days soon,
                      Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
                      ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
                      Source - Pinterest
                      "

Current treatments:
                      -IC diet
                      -Elavil 50mg at night
                      -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
                      -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
                      -Pyridium if needed,
                      -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
                      -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
                      -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
                      -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
                      -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
                      -Managing stress= VERY important!
                      -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

Working...
                      X