X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you handle your pain?

http://www.ic-network.com/images/spiritaward.jpg

I am awarding a Spirit Award to Katrina for her thread on managing pain. This thread was initiated almost three years ago and is still helpful to IC patients. Thank you, Katrina.

I am working on making a collective list of pain management tools.

I know of the one on ICN here and I am trying to help that list grow. Those of us that have been dealing with pain a lot probably have a lot of our own personal methods....things we do along with our treatment to help us survive. I am working on a collectie list of this sort of thing....because I know there are some things I wished I had known when I was newbie and a list of this sort would be good to share.

Thank you for your help with this.
    The attachment of this thread is the list of pain relief....it is a word pad document. I am still interested in new ideas

Attached Files
    Last edited by ICNDonna; 03-10-2007, 03:39 PM.
    Faith, Hope, and Love,
    Katrina

I believe God is using me. He uses me for God. Things I gain from all my suffering are meant to help others. I hope I can help you too. Email me or start a chat if you like my help or anything. I CARE!Illnesses: IC,IBS, IBD, GERD, PFD, Epilepsy, Endo, Allergies, RLM,Rapid heart beat, low blood pressure,Gastritis,Gall stones,Tendonitis,migraines, Shingles, Prolapsed pouch,ext. fatigue (current problem) I have seen periods of remission and I have seen them end and return. At this time remission is over and working on getting it back!

IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    or find me on facebook http://www.facebook.com/kat671?ref=profile
    Be the Miracle! & Pay it Forward!

[email protected] please contact me...I am here to help!

What helps me the most is the Therma Care Heat wraps. I prefer these to the kind that stick to your clothes.

I also drink plenty of water when I'm in pain. It seems to help with the burning.

Comment

My pain meds are my best defense.. I am on oxycontin 30 mgs twice a day. I also use a heating pad for flares, and drink lots of water. I take pyrradium when needed and have been on elmiron for almost a year.
      Morgan Stone

Comment

Well I'd say pain meds but I still am having problems handling it all. I haven't known about this disease for that long and I don't have it under control yet. When I do I'll let you know what worked for me. Hopefully that will be sooner rather than later. Good idea though. Take care - Chris
        This verse has given me comfort. I wanted to share it with you all.
        Isaiah 40:31- But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not be faint.

Comment

pain toolbox

When I'm in severe pain, I'm reaching for the heating pad, pain meds, and giving my body a rest. I also use distraction techniques to help manage the pain, my favorites are listening to music, watching a movie or Tv show, or read.

If my pain is at a 7 or higher, I'm also taking sitz baths, showers, praying, deep breathing, relaxing and using visualization techniques.

Hugs, Carla

Comment

When I'm really feeling rotten, I take my pain meds, use a heat pad, and collapse in a recliner and watch old movies. I usually go to sleep in the chair when the meds take effect. And my Meggie dal*****n joins me in the recliner like a second heating pad.

Donna
            Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
            Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
            Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
            [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

When I'm in pain I've found drinking multiple glasses of water with 1/2 teaspoon baking soda in each really helps. If I can manage to get down three or four of them (about 12 ozs each), I'm most always back to my old self with-in a couple of hours. The draw-back is it does add to my constipation problem.

Vicki
              "The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have."

Comment

I use Therma Care heating pads on the go. A reg heating pad at home pain meds heparin and marcaine treatments klonopins and perocets. all of this helps my pain.
                Medicine taken daily or as needed:
                1. Heaprin and Marcaine rescue installment 1 to 3x daily as needed.
                2. MS.Cotin 100mg 3x daily
                3. MSIR 30mg 1 or 2 every 4-6hrs as needed for breakthrew pain.
                4. Fentanyl 100 mg Change every 48hrs.
                5. Gentamicin 80mg install after each rescue treatment
                5 Leviquin 500mg self start as needed.
                6. Klonopin 1 or 2 daily as needed.
                7. Prosed/DS as 1 every 6hrs as needed.

I have IC, but IC doesn't have me anymore!

Comment

Percocet is the only thing that really works for me.

Otherwise, sometimes a hot water bottle (really really hot so it almost burns) helps, pressed against the whole area including down below.

Drinking lots of water, drinking almond milk, drinking a burger king milkshake (I found that out by accident during my latest flare!), lying down most of the time instead of sitting up or moving around.

Blessings, Lori

Comment

I am on a traditional treatment for IC: Elavil, Elmiron, Atarax plus Valium for my PFD...Drinking lots of water and heating pads do help!!! Oh and warm baths are great...I just got finished with 6 weeks of DSMO cocktail installations...also, I do have alot of constipation which of course makes everything worse so I do stay on a high fiber diet and take stool softeners...I have on occasion taken percocet when I am in extreme pain...

thanks!

Jamie

Comment

Ice pack!!
                      2 extra strength Tylenol with 4 Prelief (don't try without prelief...very very bad)
                      Drinking ice cold water and/or milk
                      Curling up on sofa with purring cat
                      If bladder is spasming, Ditropan
                      If urethra burning, Pyridium & rinsing with cool water in perineal wash bottle
                      listen to healing cassettes for distraction (I like Bernie Siegel's cassettes)
                      watch videos for distraction
                      eating super bland food (even blander than usual, is it possible?)
                      Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
                      I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                      ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
                      Source - Pinterest
                      "

Current treatments:
                      -IC diet
                      -Elavil 50mg at night
                      -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
                      -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
                      -Pyridium if needed,
                      -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
                      -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
                      -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
                      -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
                      -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
                      -Managing stress= VERY important!
                      -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

Thank you Katrina for posting this question!
                        AND THANK YOU VICKI for posting about the baking soda! I've been in a flare since yesterday afternoon, just read your post 1/2 hour ago, went right to kitchen & mixed a 12 oz glass with 1 tsp baking soda & VOILA -1/2 hour later the pain is down to just barely there...

I'd forgotten about the baking soda & have been miserable all last night & today, til now, in spite of ice, tylenol/prelief, pyridium, etc.

Thank you!!!!!!
                        Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
                        ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
                        Source - Pinterest
                        "

Current treatments:
                        -IC diet
                        -Elavil 50mg at night
                        -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
                        -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
                        -Pyridium if needed,
                        -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
                        -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
                        -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
                        -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
                        -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
                        -Managing stress= VERY important!
                        -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

Thank you for the numerous replies and ideas. I will be posting the full pain relief ideas soon but have been too sick the past few days. Thanks again.
                          Faith, Hope, and Love,
                          Katrina

I believe God is using me. He uses me for God. Things I gain from all my suffering are meant to help others. I hope I can help you too. Email me or start a chat if you like my help or anything. I CARE!Illnesses: IC,IBS, IBD, GERD, PFD, Epilepsy, Endo, Allergies, RLM,Rapid heart beat, low blood pressure,Gastritis,Gall stones,Tendonitis,migraines, Shingles, Prolapsed pouch,ext. fatigue (current problem) I have seen periods of remission and I have seen them end and return. At this time remission is over and working on getting it back!

IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

Really hot water bottle and Tramadol if its really bad, if its less, I can take it without Tramadol or I just use Naproxen.

But I distinguish between pain in my UT and burning in my Urethra: if its the latter, then walking, moving, hot bottle between my legs and my Uro gave me this great thing for now, its called Buscopan and that kinda stops the burning together with a thing called Diazepam, which relaxes my muscles and makes me sleepy so I take it only before bed, since over the day I can take the burning. The nights are bad. But I don’t know if this helps you, these are names for European drugs so I have no idea how they are called in USA.

Also, sometimes I fell pressure because of the small capacity in my bladder and I am taking regularly Detrusitol now and I am lucky to have no side affects from it.

But for the traditional pain, painkillers and heat!

And as I just posted before in another thread, I am that close to send my BF for a joint..... from Holland...

Comment

Well this collection of info to fight pain is turning out to be bigger and more than I expected....I suspect I will be trying a lot of new things with the research I have done...which I suppose isn't new....I am always doing that. Thanks everyone.
                              Faith, Hope, and Love,
                              Katrina

Comment

Working...
                              X