This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BTW,

I also apologize if you feel you were ganged up on! That was not my intention and just like you wanted to warn people about the potential side effects, I wanted to warn them that many people do use these medications safety together.

I just get nervous/upset when people say things like NEVER do this or NO ONE, etc. As Sandy mentioned, we are all different and at different places in treatment. I have safely taken ambien and Oxycontin together for about 3 years now.

I am sure that must have been VERY scary for you to stop breathing like that. I would have been very worried as well. I hope that never happens to you again.

please stick around. We are all a family here and yes we have little tiffs but at the end of the day, we really care about each other.

Sarah
    Current meds; , effexor 37.5 mg 2 times a day, and lyrica 100 mg 3 times a day, lots of reading and snuggling with the pets!

Comment

• I can totally understand why there is concern expressed by combining medications. I just did a brief search for intereactions between oxycodone and ambien and here's what I found:

During concomitant use of these drugs, patients should be monitored for potentially excessive or prolonged CNS and respiratory depression. Ambulatory patients should be counseled to avoid hazardous activities requiring complete mental alertness and motor coordination until they know how these agents affect them, and to notify their physician if they experience excessive or prolonged CNS effects that interfere with their normal activities.

What this tells me is that there is the potential for significant problems and, again, that it is extremely important to work with your physicians on medications and dosages.

I would like to say thank you to Beth for alerting us to that potential.

I am constantly amazed at the amounts of medications that some of us are able to tolerate, while others (like me) can have a problem with a 10 mg amitryptiline tablet!

Donna
      Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
      Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
      Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
      [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

• Originally posted by ICNDonna View Post
        ...I am constantly amazed at the amounts of medications that some of us are able to tolerate, while others (like me) can have a problem with a 10 mg amitryptiline tablet! Donna
        I couldn't agree more Donna! Soon after my diagnosis I tried to take Amitriptylene for 2 weeks, and from the very first dose I thought I was going to lose my mind! I was anxious and panicky (my hands even trembled), my mental processes were severely incapacitated, I felt "separated" from my body, and I could not sleep I was so hyper! I also kept bumping into things, so my inner balance was way off! Moreover, they gave me terrible nightmares! And it didn't get any better over time. Although not quite as bad, I had a very similar experience with Imipramine. Plus, neither one of those drugs made a "dent" in my pain. At the time I thought they were actually making my pain worse! In hindsight though, I am pretty sure that my pain was exacerbated because of all the stress from feeling so "high" and "drugged up" all the time. During that very long month I remember thinking that those drugs should be illegal!!

Then, when I read on this forum how so many women can take those drugs without any problems, and find a lot of relief from them, I started my education into how very different we all are, in both our own versions of IC as well as how we respond to the various meds that we have to experiment with in order to get our symptoms under control.

One of the best parts about the Morphine for me is that I don't feel "high" at all! Go figure! It doesn't even make me sleepy, which is both good and bad: I can be alert and in charge of my mental faculties whenever I need to be, but a lack of sleep from the pain, spasms and nocturnia is still a big problem. But at least I don't feel drugged (I don't like that feeling at all)... And best of all, is it actually helping to reduce my pain!! So I am finally on the right track...

~Beth

p.s. And you are welcome!
        Last edited by BT2008; 02-16-2009, 08:56 AM. Reason: to correct a typo
        I am not a physician, so please do not mistake any of my comments as medical advice. I am just a fellow sufferer sharing my experience with IC.

Scheduled for Radical Cystectomy & Indiana Pouch, July 16, 2009

Hit with severe pelvic pain on 6/14/08 (7:05pm): GYN, MRI, CT, laparoscopy, colonoscopy: All Clear
        DX'ed with Severe IC: Findings during cystoscopy and hydro-distention on 9/11/08 showed: scattered areas of hemorrhage and glomerulizations, w/bloody efflux. Update: Had second cysto/hydro on 5/21/09: My uro said "there were thousands of lesions" all over my bladder.
        Current Meds: Bladder Instills (self-adm 3 x per week or PRN); MS Contin; Lortab (PRN); Zanaflex; Maxide; Estradiol Patch
        Other helpful remedies: IC Diet (very important!) especially no chemical additives or preservatives; Drink 1.5+ gal. of pH neutral water per day (I test my water frequently! This is very, very important!!); Prelief; Heating pad; and lots of hugs from my wonderful hubby!
        Meds I have tried, but could not take: Amitriptyline & Imipramine (both made me mentally nutzoid, gave me nightmares, and neither one touched the pain); Lyrica (didn't touch the pain either, plus it made me very nauseous after eating and then it triggered my IBS); Cymbalta (didn't touch the pain either and it made me horribly depressed--all I did was sleep and cry!); Percocet (did very little for the pain and gave me headaches); Discontinued using Sodium Bicarb & Kenalog in my instills (it burned really bad!).
        Discontinued Meds: Elmiron (replaced by Heparin in instills); Bentyl (antispasmodic and anticholinergic; Zanaflex works much better for me!); Valium Suppositories
        History: IBS (spastic colon) since 1982; Partial hysterectomy 1985--completed in 2002 with extensive adhesion removal (I think this surgery was my IC trigger!); Non-painful urinary frequency since 2002; No history of frequent UTI's; HPV and abnormal paps 1/07; Sporadic PFD

Comment

• I totally AGREE Donna!!

I am had a very bad reaction with Ambien and was NOT on any kind of strong narcotic.. I really do not know why I had this strange reaction. But it through me into a really bad attack where my heart rate went up and I BP shot really high!

So you see we are all different when it come to meds.. And we all have to be very cautious when it come to any new meds..

I always research and talk to the Dr and pharmacists about combining drugs and then use my best judgement.. I know how my body pretty well now and start at a VERY low dose with anything..

Beth, I do understand how you felt, for like I said I have had a few scary episodes with meds.. Ambien being one and Lexapro being another one and I cannot take any IV pain meds we found this out last time I was in the ER..The Drs cannot figure out why but as soon as the IV meds start going in My heart rate increases and my BP shoots up! And my face and head feels like it is on fire and tingling!
          That was really scary!!!

I feel there is nothing wrong with sharing your personal experiences and handing out information that some people might not be aware of!!
          Last edited by leelee88; 02-16-2009, 10:42 AM.
          Hugs
          Ronda

ONE Second, ONE Bite, ONE Breath, ONE Pill, ONE Minute, ONE Teardrop, ONE Hour, ONE Sip.. ONE DAY! I will Prevail from this disease! IC Hoping for a Cure!

Link to Patient Handbook:
          http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Diet Reference Sheet:
          http://www.ic-network.com/diet/icndi...tsheet0909.pdf

Meds For IC: Lyrica-25mg Glucosamine-500 MSM-500mg, Prosed Ds -When Flaring

Other Meds: Levlite- Continious Birtcontrol, Micardis-40mg for High Blood Pressure

Meds I have Tried:
          Topamax,Tofranil, Elmiron, Atarax, Cymbalta, Elavil, Enablex, Detral La, Prydium.
          Lexapro< Bad reaction to this med!
          Intstills, could not continue them due to some kind of reaction after 3rd instill. Tasted the lidocaine in my mouth, tongue and lips went numb then went into what seemed like a panic attack. Shaking, racing heart, tingling face/head, blood pressure shot up..

Dx With IC in Nov 2006 with Hydro/Cysto
          Hydro/Cysto Caused Bladder to Rupture.

Other Dxs-Vulvodynia,Fibro, Endo, IBS, HPV, Migraines, Spastic Colon, Mild Dysplasia.

ICN Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

• I think most all the medications we take have potential side effects and interactions. That is one of the trade offs we have to accept when we take medications that help us so much.

That is why I work closely with my DOCTOR on these issues. He knows everything I take and advises me accordingly.

Sarah
            Current meds; , effexor 37.5 mg 2 times a day, and lyrica 100 mg 3 times a day, lots of reading and snuggling with the pets!

Comment

• Thank goodness, again, for this forum where patients can share what they've learned. Some doctors are better than others at sharing information about medication and interactions. I'm so happy to hear from other patients what they have read or experienced with different meds.
              Kim

Diagnosed August 2001

Current IC meds: Elmiron (since 2001), Levaquin (one pill after intercourse to prevent UTIs), Effexor (for depression & anxiety)

Past IC meds: Amitriptyline (Elavil), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril), Detrol LA, Lexapro (for depression & anxiety, but also helped my IC) (They all helped, but I was able to discontinue them.)

I've been virtually symptom free and able to eat & drink whatever I'd like for about 8 years now.

“We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.” ~ Viktor Frankl

“You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you.” ~ Brian Tracy

Comment

• Originally posted by vm View Post
                Thank goodness, again, for this forum where patients can share what they've learned. Some doctors are better than others at sharing information about medication and interactions. I'm so happy to hear from other patients what they have read or experienced with different meds.
                I totally agree Kim! This site and the info I have learned here is how I have been able to get where I am today! Which is A lot better than when I was diagnosed!
                Hugs
                Ronda

ONE Second, ONE Bite, ONE Breath, ONE Pill, ONE Minute, ONE Teardrop, ONE Hour, ONE Sip.. ONE DAY! I will Prevail from this disease! IC Hoping for a Cure!

Link to Patient Handbook:
                http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Diet Reference Sheet:
                http://www.ic-network.com/diet/icndi...tsheet0909.pdf

Meds For IC: Lyrica-25mg Glucosamine-500 MSM-500mg, Prosed Ds -When Flaring

Other Meds: Levlite- Continious Birtcontrol, Micardis-40mg for High Blood Pressure

Meds I have Tried:
                Topamax,Tofranil, Elmiron, Atarax, Cymbalta, Elavil, Enablex, Detral La, Prydium.
                Lexapro< Bad reaction to this med!
                Intstills, could not continue them due to some kind of reaction after 3rd instill. Tasted the lidocaine in my mouth, tongue and lips went numb then went into what seemed like a panic attack. Shaking, racing heart, tingling face/head, blood pressure shot up..

Dx With IC in Nov 2006 with Hydro/Cysto
                Hydro/Cysto Caused Bladder to Rupture.

Other Dxs-Vulvodynia,Fibro, Endo, IBS, HPV, Migraines, Spastic Colon, Mild Dysplasia.

ICN Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

• Gabatril

Has anyone here had success with Gabitril?

I'm told it's fairly weight neutral. I'm on Gabapentin (Neurontin) right now and it works like a charm, but..........I'm putting on weight even though I am doing a 1200 calorie a day diet and exercising anywhere from 1 - 3 hours day . I have put on 5lbs in the 5 months I've been on it and trust me I kill myself every day to stay there, so I'm hoping I could find another answer.

Thank you!

Wendy

Comment

• Originally posted by ICNDonna View Post
                    I can totally understand why there is concern expressed by combining medications. I just did a brief search for intereactions between oxycodone and ambien and here's what I found:

During concomitant use of these drugs, patients should be monitored for potentially excessive or prolonged CNS and respiratory depression. Ambulatory patients should be counseled to avoid hazardous activities requiring complete mental alertness and motor coordination until they know how these agents affect them, and to notify their physician if they experience excessive or prolonged CNS effects that interfere with their normal activities.

What this tells me is that there is the potential for significant problems and, again, that it is extremely important to work with your physicians on medications and dosages.

I would like to say thank you to Beth for alerting us to that potential.

I am constantly amazed at the amounts of medications that some of us are able to tolerate, while others (like me) can have a problem with a 10 mg amitryptiline tablet!

Donna
                    Like I said, all of us are at different phases in our treatment and are able to tolerate medications that others can't. I had a bad problem with a CONSTIPATION medication. I had the shakes, night terrors, sweats, racing heart....so, it's not just the people taking combos of opiods and sleeping pills, it can be something that seems as benign as a med to cause a bm.

My doctor's know what the other prescribes and I use the same pharmacy for all of my medications. I don't take chances. I also wanted to say that I didn't start out taking Ambien or any other sleeping pill when I started a new pain medication. I know enough to start one med at a time. It takes a while to build up a tolerance, in most cases, to ANY medication.

People build up tolerances to Sudafed, benadryl, anti-depressants, etc and their dosages have to be altered. It's not just opiods and sleeping pills. It can literally be any medication, even OTC meds.

I would hope that everyone out there taking any medications would be wary the first week or so after starting the new med....don't add another medication til you know how you react to the first one so you know where your side effects, if any, are coming from.

A lot of taking medications is common sense. You have to pay attention to your body, know your body and how it reacts to medicines in general. If you have a problem, stop the drug and consult your doctor, pharmacist, nurse, or all 3.

I guess what I'm trying to say is it can be done safely. It just takes common sense and a good doctor (s) to monitor you. Get everything filled at one pharmacy so they can detect possible interactions before you even start the med. Most interactions are flagged by computer at major pharmacies...so take them to heart and pay attention to your reaction, or lack there of when you start anything even if it is an OTC drug.

You are your own best advocate....you can't count on anyone else to catch interactions beforehand for you, so you must do your homework.

I know my tolerances, what my body can handle and the combination of medicines I am on now is what gives me the ability to at least partially enjoy my life, whereas before these meds and this specific combo, I was bedridden.

Sorry for the ramble. I just want everyone to be vigilant. And I want it clear that it's not just pain meds and sleeping pills...it's ALL medications. Make sure your doctors know what you are taking and make sure they communicate with each other. Use ONE pharmacy.(I know, I keep repeating this) Read up on any and all medications you are taking or plan on starting. Start one medication at a time and give it time to work in your body so that you can safely start another med.

We ARE all different and I would like to think that the majority of us on multiple medications that can cause CNS (central nervous system) or respiratory depression have taken caution when starting the meds such as a sleep study, etc and continue to do so while continuing treatment.

These meds have given me my life back and I don't suffer side effects such as being high, etc from them. I am simply able to function better than I was without them. I am SO thankful for these medications there aren't words to describe it!

Off my soapbox!
                    Last edited by ICNDonna; 02-18-2009, 02:42 AM. Reason: Removed direct medical advice.
                    *IC-- Summer 2004; PFD--October 2005
                    *Fibro--Fall 2000; CFS-- Fall 2000
                    *MPS--Fall 2000; Crohn's disease-- 1997*IBS,GERD, *Migraines, hypothyroidism, GYN problems *Degenerative Disc Disease/scoliosis

Total Abdominal Hysterectomy--adenomyosis--9\08

04/17/09 Crohn's disease almost killed me with a combo of extreme constipation from pain medications. My bowel ruptured, I almost died from peritonitis and spent several days in the ICU then more in a private room on the floor. If you have any questions about severe constipation from pain meds please don't hesitate to send me a message.

Comment

• This thread has become unbelievably long. I will be closing it. Please feel free to post on this subject in a new thread.

Donna
                      Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
                      Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
                      Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                      [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Working...
                      X