Calcium Citrate ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calcium Citrate ....

Hi everone. Does anyone know if you can get Calcium Citrate tablets in Australia? Also can you get vitamins or medication shipped from another country to Australia?
    I take prelief from the USA and will be moving to Australia in September and was hoping to continue ordering it from the US and also get medication from Germany shipped.

Would be great to hear from you.
    Anja

Symptoms started November 2005
    Diagnosed with IC in January 2007
    Diagnosed with Vulvodynia 2006
    Medications since July 2007: Gepan Installations now only every 2 months - Amitriptilyn(Elavil) 6 drops at night - Elmiron 200mg/day, Ranitic150 in the morning together with Desloratodine 5mg - Guaifenesin Capsules 300mg (for vulvodynia), Prelief with critical food
    Vitamins/Minerals: Neutra C

Herbal Tea (Chamomille) 3 cups a day, sit baths with sea salt after sex - Hyalofemme Gel before sex - Multi GynActi Gel after sex - Macrobid 50mg after sex

For many IC patients the word Citrate would instantly cause a bladder spasm. I'm wondering if you've been taking the calcium citrate successfully already or if you are hoping to try it? Many people can't take anything with citrate in it because it only irritates the bladder more, but of course, as with anything, others can take it with no difficulty. I know that there are many US drug stores with sites online that you can order over the counter meds from. If you still want the calcium citrate you might try looking up Walgreens, Eckerds, drugstore.com, or do a google search and see what you come up with. The best bet is drugstore. com but I don't know if they will ship internationally.

Good luck, Sandy
    *IC-- Summer 2004; PFD--October 2005
    *Fibro--Fall 2000; CFS-- Fall 2000
    *MPS--Fall 2000; Crohn's disease-- 1997*IBS,GERD, *Migraines, hypothyroidism, GYN problems *Degenerative Disc Disease/scoliosis

Total Abdominal Hysterectomy--adenomyosis--9\08

04/17/09 Crohn's disease almost killed me with a combo of extreme constipation from pain medications. My bowel ruptured, I almost died from peritonitis and spent several days in the ICU then more in a private room on the floor. If you have any questions about severe constipation from pain meds please don't hesitate to send me a message.

Comment

Anja, I get my prelief brought over from the US by my nephew who travels there regularly. I seem to recall some Aussie on the boards having Prelief sent from the US. Problem is the expense alas!
      Last edited by Rosalie; 06-07-2007, 04:01 PM.
      Rosalie

http://community.webshots.com/user/gypsyrose52

Comment

Hi Sandy, i suffer from Vulvodynia mostly but also have IC . I have been taking Calcium Citrate for 3 weeks now and my vulvodynia pain is so much better.
        I am not sure if it irritates my bladder. I gotta do a research on that. I am not sure if this kind of citrate is bad for IC patients. Can anyone help?

ANJA

Medications since July 2007: Gepan Installations now only every 2 months - Amitriptilyn(Elavil) 6 drops at night - Elmiron 200mg/day, Ranitic150 in the morning together with Desloratodine 5mg - Guaifenesin Capsules 300mg (for vulvodynia), Prelief with critical food

Herbal Tea (Chamomille) 3 cups a day, sit baths with sea salt after sex - Hyalofemme Gel before sex - Multi GynActi Gel after sex - Macrobid 50mg after sex

Comment

I was just wondering if all citrates are known to irritate IC? I was having awful issues with constipation the last couple weeks. I have severe motiity issues as it is. But I took a couple preventative macrodantin a couple weeks ago and I shut my gut down, I was not moving at all. I am now taking miralax just to be able to go. My GI doc said if it got real bad to drink a 10oz bottle of magnesium citrate. Would this aggravate IC?
          Jen

Comment

Hi Anja,

You can order prelief from australia, I either order it from Amazzon or the ic network shop.
            Formerly lorenab

Comment

Great, thanks loren. How about Calcium Citrate? Can you order them too? Or do you have them in Australia?

ANJA

Comment

Potassium Citrate

Hi Anja,
                I have not tried Calcium Citrate. I have just been in hospital. The divine Anita Clark was my doctor. Anyway she has me on potassium citrate. I am now off all other meds and I am not perfect but my gosh what a difference. I have the occassional burning but generally nothing most of the time. This makes the urine alkaline. I take 1 tab 10mEg morning and night after food and that is it. I have also having good long flows when I go to the loo. I have had no side effects either
                Thought I should mention this as I have been fully researching my problem and this did not come up in any of my google sessions.
                Regards
                Jodi B

Comment

Thanks!

Jodi B.,

Thanks for your comments on potassium citrate. My naturopath just suggested it to me this past week....and I don't take ANYTHING until I consult ICN folks! You are the greatest! I don't have burning on urination, but I do get abdominal pain from acidity.

Darlene

Comment

potassium Citrate

Hi Darlene,
                    Are you taking the potassium C with-in half an hour of eating breakfast or dinner. Also, initially I had to take 2 10mEg tabs morning and night. it was too much for me and I am now just taking the 1 tab morning an night.
                    regards
                    Jodi B

Comment

Hi All,

isnt Potassium the "Killer" for IC?? The KCL test is a potassium test, isnt it? does anyone of you also has IC?
                      I am confused with the Potassium Citrate. Let me know if you have any infos on that regarding IC. I think for IC patients it is a big NO NO

Cheers

Comment

Hi Jodi,

I'm not actually taking it right now. The doc suggested it, but I don't feel the need for it right now. I'm working through diet issues -- going to see a nutritionist soon -- and do pretty well as long as I stick to Prelief and the IC diet. I appreciate your recommendations however, in case I ever do need to start taking it. I've got other issues -- gluten-intolerance and recently gave up dairy and meat because they cause health issues (sinus yuk and inflammation).

Anjita,

I asked my naturopath the same thing....thinking that anything potassium would be killer, but he told me that potassium CITRATE is a urine neutralizer. Keep in mind everyone is different, but if it's helping Jodi, it might help us too.

Warmly,
                        Darlene

BTW -- I got some pH strips from my doc with numerical readings and it confirmed some things for me -- I was able to change the acidity in my urine (by diet and supplements) from a high acid (had to pee 4x/night to alkaline 1/x night) in one day!

Also FYI...I'm able to take 500 mcg B-12 sublingual with no problems! (Necessary if you give up meat.)

Comment

potassium Citrate

Hi all,
                          I was never diagnosed with IC. They did not know what I had. They thought I have IC and that is why I went to the Mercy to get it all checked out.They have only just found out I have medullary sponge kidney that mimics IC. Anyway, I have to have an IC diet, cotton underwear,no tapwater,etc etc. Any way Anita Clark put me on this Urocit-k which is Potassium Citrate. All I can say is it is really working. I am off the prelief, SPIP, Srrepeptase and Quercetin after 2 weeks
                          I have just Googled IC and PC and this is generally what was said...
                          Added benefit may be obtained by coupling diet with a urinary alkalinization protocol. To decrease urine acidity, clinicians may prescribe potassium citrate (Urocit-K®) taken twice daily with meals (Moldwin, 2000). An additional urinary alkalinization protocol that does not require a prescription includes drinking a glass of water mixed with one-half teaspoon of baking soda (with a maximum of three glasses per day). This can also be beneficial by increasing the pH of the urine, and therefore, decreasing pain. This regime should not be recommended for patients on a salt-restricted diet (Moldwin, 2000). Patients who desire some leniency in the diet can use Prelief®, an over-the-counter, calcium glycerophosphate containing dietary supplement, before ingesting any potentially irritating food or beverage. Cigarette smoking can also be a source of bladder irritation; thus, a smoking cessation program should be encouraged when applicable.
                          May I suggest that you do a google search as well and see how you go.
                          All I know is that I am the best I have been in over a year and I am off to Bali in 3 weeks and now I am really excited about going.
                          Best regards
                          Jodi B

Comment

potassium Citrate

Hi All,
                            Just found this on google too
                            Dietary modification has been practiced by most IC patients at some point in their therapy. For example, an elimination diet of bladder irritants, decreasing dietary acid load, and urinary alkalinization with baking soda or potassium citrate has been an effective treatment for many IC patients. Also, a steady intake of water helps to dilute urine and reduce constipation. Fluid and bowel regimens have also been used to assure adequate hydration and normal bowel function.

Regards
                            Jodi B

Comment

Jodi -- Thanks for the great posts! Valuable information. One thing I read on the internet re potassium citrate was that it was a "directic." Did it have that affect on you?

Have a great time in Bali! Good for you, girl!

Darlene

Comment

Working...
                              X