Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

potassium Citrate and other questions

Hi all,
    Can any one answer what is the difference between PC and Calcium citrate.
    They both alkalize the urine. Do they do this differently. I have to take PC for kidney stones but does the CC make the urine more alkaline. Would you take the both of them together.
    Has anyone had luck with freeze dried aloe vera.
    Has anyone bought acid free decaffinated coffee in Australia or do we have to get that from the US too.
    Jodi B

Comment

Jodi, I can't help you with the your first two questions but I have bought the 'Teeccino' that I have heard mentioned on the boards.
      I got it at a health food shop in Melbourne...Elizabeth Street, down the Flinders Street end. Its quite expensive @ $13.95 for a 240gm tin. It doesn't really taste too much like coffee but its not too bad.
      Rosalie

http://community.webshots.com/user/gypsyrose52

Comment

Calcium Citrate

Hi All,
        I'm responding to Jodi's question on the PC and CC. I am going to my Chemist tomorrow and I too want to find out what the difference is between the two.
        I think that you need a prescription for the potassium Citrate (Urocit-k) I think that the other one is available over the counter. As for the coffee, I have Nescafe Gold decaffeinated coffee and I do use a couple of Prelief when I use it. Also I got some Tetley decaffeinated tea bags, and I do the same with them. If I don't get to greedy, then if all is going well I can get away with it. I wonder if the Calcium Citrate would be better than the Prelief?
        It would be great not having to send to the US for them. Fancy having to do all this for an occasional tea or coffee.
        Wish they could come up with a cure for this. Best Wishes to everyone.
        Regards
        elvee
        elvee

Comment

Anjita-Calcium Citrate

Hi Anjita,
          I have some information for you about Calcium Citrate. You can get it here easily, I got some this morning at my local Chemist. The brand I got was CITRACAL. it's just the Calcium Citrate. Can you tell me what dosage you use daily? Also I noticed that you asked about ELMIRON. You can get it here, but I do know that it's quite expensive. I don't know if you need a Urologist to prescribe it. or your local Dr. If you want to bring medications into Australia, it would be a good idea to have your Dr give you a covering letter. I've always taken that precaution when travelling overseas, I've seen others having a nasty time, although I've never been questioned.
          Regards
          elvee
          elvee

Comment

Potassium Citrate & other questions - Jodi

Hi Jodi,
            You were wondering if you should take Potassium Citrate and Calcium Citrate? Jodie, as far as I can see they both do practically the same thing? I would ask Anita first. I've noticed that quite a few people are worried about taking Citrates. I've read that the Citrate is metabolized to bicarbonate before extretion, so therefore raises the PH of urine. The chemistry of all this is a bit beyond me, but that's what I read. I'm probably more confused than ever. Then I wonder, if that's what happens, why not just take Bi-Carbonate in the first place? Oh well, something else to ponder.
            elvee

Comment

potassium Citrate and Calcium Citrate

Hi all,
              I bought Citracal today over the counter at the chemist.
              This is the explanation of calcium citrate.
              A low-oxalate diet and supplements of calcium citrate. Oxalate crystals, which are normal by-products of the body's metabolism, are excreted in the urine. Oxalates are very acidic, and can irritate the mucous membranes of the vulva when overproduced. One theory maintains that an oxalate "insult" to the skin over a long period of time is the cause of vulvar pain. Calcium citrate alkalinizes the urine and suppresses the secretion of oxalates. A low-carbohydrate, low-oxalate diet may also be helpful. Examples of foods that are high in oxalates include all beans, beer, beets, berries, celery, chard, chocolate, eggplant, some grapes, green peppers, peanuts, rutabaga, spinach, squash and tofu.
              Then I found this piece of information below regarding taking both CC and PC. I have been also reading information on the Vulva Pain Foundation. The chairperson gave a very informative talk to the ICN. Very interesting reading.

A total of 18 postmenopausal women without stones underwent a randomized trial of 4 phases comprised of 2 weeks of treatment with placebo, calcium citrate (400 mg calcium twice daily), potassium citrate (20 mEq twice daily), and calcium citrate and potassium citrate (at same doses). During the last 2 days of each phase urine was collected in 24-hour pools for complete stone risk analysis.

Results:

Compared to placebo, calcium citrate increased urinary calcium and citrate but decreased urinary oxalate and phosphate. Urinary saturation of calcium oxalate, bru****e and undissociated uric acid did not change. Potassium citrate decreased urinary calcium, and increased urinary citrate and pH. It decreased urinary saturation of calcium oxalate and undissociated uric acid, and did not change the saturation of bru****e. When calcium citrate was combined with potassium citrate, urinary calcium remained high, urinary citrate increased even further and urinary oxalate remained reduced from the calcium citrate alone, thereby marginally decreasing the urinary saturation of calcium oxalate. Urinary pH increased, decreasing urinary undissociated uric acid. The increase in pH increased the saturation of bru****e despite the decrease in urinary phosphorus.

Conclusions:

Calcium citrate supplementation does not increase the risk of stone formation in healthy postmenopausal women. The co-administered potassium citrate may provide additional protection against formation of uric acid and calcium oxalate stones.
              I am looking into this. I will post any other info that I find.
              Regards
              Jodi B

Comment

Hi anyone on this forum that lives in Sydney? Raj

Comment

This thread was started six years ago --- at least several of the people haven't visited the forums for a long time. I hope you will get some answers.

Donna
                  Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
                  Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
                  Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                  [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

I have had definite results with calcium citrate!! I, too, was afraid of the word, citrate, but my fears were unfounded and I wish I had started taking it sooner!! I no longer need to take Lyrica! Another huge plus is that it helped my Crohns! I tend toward diarrhea, so when the calcium citrate helped to slow my transit time, I was thrilled!! Please don't let the name scare you! It worked wonders for me! 😊
                    Health History Past 10yrs :

Chronic Yeast Infections
                    Vulvodynia
                    Vaginal atrophy
                    Finally Diagnosed with IC (potassium test)
                    in February 2007 :woohoo:

Current Meds & Methods:

Elavil nightly for pain
                    Lyrica as needed for pain
                    Elmiron
                    IC Diet
                    Vagifem twice weekly

Comment

Re: Calcium Citrate ....

I'm not an expert but have read and been told that "citrates" actually turn alkaline in your system, so though the name implies "Citrus Fruit" it's not the same thing. I take 1 Potassium Citrate and have not noticed any significant change.

Comment

Working...
                      X