anyone in halifax area of NS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: anyone in halifax area of NS?

Hi Laura. Your story sounds much like mine unfortunately. Im also from Halifax and believe I know the name of your urologist. I also did not like him. If youd like you cam email me at [email protected].
    Hope to hear from you soon.
    ~ Summer ~

Medications:
    Elmiron - 100mg 3x daily (Recently discontinued due to thinning of hair)
    Ativan - (Anxiety) 1mg at bedtime
    Motoprolol - (Tachycardia) 25mgs daily
    Lamictal - (Depression) 250mg daily
    Vesicare - (Bladder Spasms) 10 mgs when needed
    Atarax - 25mg 3x daily
    Nortriptyline 10mg daily

Things I'm trying:
    09/12 - Weekly instills of heparin
    Hot baths
    Heat Bags (My best friend)
    Drinking LOTS of water
    IC diet
    De-stressing
    Prayer

Comment

Hello. I am from Nine Mile River and have had IC since 2000. I havae been offered the nerve implant as well. Mine is here but am having trouble deciding whether to get it put in or not. I was doing really and then started some wierd symptoms. They thought it was gall bladder and I had so many tests I cannot even count. I am now thinking it be something called "delayed stomach empyting" that can be a side effect of IC. I am not sure if the URO I see is the one you already have. I am willing to chat anytime if you would like.

Comment

I live in Halifax and my urologist is Dr. Ashley Cox. I was referred to her for kidney stones. After a long time of test and not having any answers I told her all that was going on she said i have interstitial cystitis. She gave me a helpful list of yay and nay foods, and this website!

I like her and she is very helpful. I would recommend her! Any questions let me know

Comment

Hello, welcome.
          It's not often I come across anyone from NS, though I'm sure there are many of us. I too am from Halifax.
          That's great you've found Dr. Cox helpful. Unfortunately it's been a long road of Dr's without much knowledge on IC. I wish someone would have mentioned the IC diet and/or this website, years ago when I was diagnosed as it's a huge help for many.
          If you dont mind me asking, what kind of treatments has Dr. Cox offered you that have helped you? The last time I was in to see my urologist there still hadn't been anything to try other than instillations, which I've exhausted over the past several years.
          There are alot of things used to treat IC in the US that aren't available here. Thankfully Canada has recently adopted new guidelines which if all goes well, should change the way IC is recognized/treated.
          Wishing you the best.
          ~ Summer ~

Medications:
          Elmiron - 100mg 3x daily (Recently discontinued due to thinning of hair)
          Ativan - (Anxiety) 1mg at bedtime
          Motoprolol - (Tachycardia) 25mgs daily
          Lamictal - (Depression) 250mg daily
          Vesicare - (Bladder Spasms) 10 mgs when needed
          Atarax - 25mg 3x daily
          Nortriptyline 10mg daily

Things I'm trying:
          09/12 - Weekly instills of heparin
          Hot baths
          Heat Bags (My best friend)
          Drinking LOTS of water
          IC diet
          De-stressing
          Prayer

Comment

I guess I have been blessed in some ways.. about 14 years ago my family Dr suggested I could have Ic,, referred me to a great Urologist. caring and up to date on things.. I have tried about 6 different over active bladder meds.. all which I experienced side effects.. tried Elmiron, Pyridium, side affects with those. Dmso instills..ok but did not do a whole lot for me.. have had 2 cysto/hydros which did help for awhile..My bladder only held a cup on expansion.. tiny bladder.. size does not help ..
            I found this support forum and the Canadian One was active back then.. There was all kinds of tips about diet etc. 14 years ago. different books out..

I was able to get Prelief through a health store in Ontario.. They would mail it to me.. not sure they do that anymore.

I use .Uva-ursi that I get from Natural path.. Cantharis I get at Pharmasave..when I have a flare and new one I have found is Bell Product #31 at Pharmasave.. I take one a day and if having a flare can take two.. I watch Bp because the Golden Seal can affect Bp.. but that has not been a problem..

Happy New Year!
            God brought me to it, He will bring me through it!!!

Diagnosed 2003
            by cysto/hydro
            Elmiron took almost a year- made me sick, caused diarrhea
            Pyridium -Made me sick
            Detrol and Ditropan, Toviaz and Mrrbetriq- caused constipation and head ache.
            Tried DMSO instill- had 5 out of 6
            Started Oxytrol Patch-stopped using them after 3 months-- skin was getting irritated
            Cysto/hydro April 6th 2011-- on expansion only hold one cup
            IBS/ IC
            High blood pressure meds and Crestor
            Metformin (prediabetic)
            Sinequan (depression)

Comment

Hi,
              I was referred to Dr. Cox from my family doctor for kidney stones back in Dec 2015. Once I had the treatment for the stones the pain did not go away and I went back to my family doctor for more testing to see if there was an issues with my ovaries. ect. I had an appointment with Dr. Cox for a recheck and xray to see if I had developed more stones (which I did). I was telling her everything that was going on from the last time I saw her and she asked if I ever heard of IC? So that was only on December 12th, she told me to try to avoid all of the foods that I found irritated my bladder and gave me the list of food. I am already on nortriptyline and told me to continue with that. She told me about the different medications and some treatments like bladder dilation and told me to look into pelvic floor therapy, she has found some client find that beneficial. So I haven't had a lot of treatment for it since I have just found out what was going on with me.
              My mother also has IC and after my appointment I have been looking into a lot of treatments/medications and there are a lot of things that she didn't know of. My mom only treats with her diet, and seems to be doing well with that. I have an appointment with my family doctor next week and I am going to talk to her about different medication options since I now know what is going on and she was the one who put me on the nortriptyline.

Comment

Working...
              X