IC Patient in Boston starting Imipramine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IC Patient in Boston starting Imipramine

Any of my IC friends tried Imipramine. I have tried Elavil and Norptriptline,
    Norptriptline gave me bad hives, Elavil made me crazy with heart palpatations
    and heart rate of 104, blood pressure 100/50. I had to get off of both
    meds each time that I took them. As of today, I am trying Imipramine. l/4
    dose of the lowest dose. (I cut the lowest dose in quarter pieces)
    I'm praying this helps because I have Pelvic IC, Pain in my Lower Back and Pain across my shoulders, as well as that little ticking/throbbing/pulsating
    feeling at the top of my urthrea, supposed to be spasams my Uro. says at the
    Lahey Clinic in Burlington, Massachusetts.
    I'm also on Urised, Tramadol sometimes and Tylenol with Codene when I hae to take the pain meds.
    Please, everyone tell me about Imipramine, if any of you have taken it.
    Thank you.
    Corena from Boston

Corena,

I don't have any info for you, but you are in my prayers.

Paula

Comment

I have no idea what that is ,but I hope it works for you.

Comment

Hi Corena, I also go to Lahey Clinic- who is your uro? I have been seeing Dr. Zinman since 1978. Judith

Comment

Judith56, Hi there, I use Dr. Bresette at Lahey, he is an older urolgist, probably in his mid 60's or older and only works part time. Quite patient and caring an seems to know a lot about IC, does not like to prescribe pain meds except Tramadol and Tylenol 3. I only use those two for my pain meds. I take Urised and on my second day of the lowest dose of imipramine, cut in half. I have had some real bad side affects of Elavil and Norptriptline, even though I used the lowest dose and cut it in half. Made me crazy, racy and very high heart beat 104 with very low blood pressure, like 100/50. So now I am a Lahey Cardiologist has got me taking the lowest dose of Atlenol (spell)
          a beta blocker to bring my heart rate down.
          Judith, are you happy with Dr. Zinman? You must be. Is Dr. Zinman located in the Urolgist Department at Lahey or in the continance. Dr. Bresette is in the Continance.
          I understand that he Continance department treats many different diseases in that department.
          I hope you are managing your IC. I am totally sold out to the diet. I fear getting near most of the negative IC foods. I don't even crave them since I know the pain is worse than the bit of the food. Also, I always have IC pain, probably on a scale of 3, even on meds so I'm really not hungry much of the time.
          Judith, where do you live in Vermont. I live in Arlington, Ma. Our family is from Lexington for over 20 years but sold our home a few years age and now I live in a townhome type apartment.
          Vermont is beautiful. Your leaves must have been prettier than ours, we didn't have color at all down here in our area.
          Do take care and thanks for responding to me. Maybe it would be better to email me on my [email protected]. I am not too good working the IC Chat board.
          Blessings,
          Corena

Comment

Corena,
            I was on Imipramine for depression, alot higher dose than you'll be on. I didn't have any symptoms of IC until i got off it (because it stopped working after 14 years). So, I would have to say it will probably work for you. I have a Doc appt tomorrow to ask to be put back on it for the pain. I can't handle this any longer. It's terrible. Hope this helps you honey.

Comment

Hi - I live in East Longmeadow, MA and I am on my third uro doctor. He is useless and I am looking for another one. I don't care how far I have to travel. My surgeon for my endo is in Atlanta, GA. Can you give me the phone number to the Lahey Clinic? Do they have a separate uro clinic or do they only do uro? I'd appreciate any info so that I can investigate further. Thanks in advance!

~~Heidi~~
              My issues:
              Adenomyosis -Diagnosed 2010
              Fibromyalgia - Diagnosed 2009
              IBS - Diagnosed 2007
              IC - Diagnosed 2003
              Endo - Diagnosed 1998
              Cystic Acne
              Migraines

My meds:
              Elmiron orally 100 mg 2x per day
              Effexor 75mg 1x perday
              Welburtin 150 mg 1x per day
              Maxalt (as needed for migraines)
              birth control pills

Comment

Hi there, Ive been on imipramine for a year now. Its been great for frequency and great for pain. On a couple of occasions my heart went faster, but I think it was because I was over tired and working to hard, rather than the medication. And of course, it is so easy to blame everything on the imiprimine. I have had a little bit of a dry mouth sometimes and a few funny dreams, but nothing much. I just take 10mg and it really gave me my life back. It is also less drowsy than elavil, but i believe it is in a similar kind of drug family as elavil. Amazing you actually manage to quarter it, as it is pretty small. I heard of it halved before, but quartered is a first, well done. Also, 10mg , I have been told is a childs dose. I understand, more than you think that is is a worry when you are trying something new, especially if youve had bad reactions before. Always best to start on a low dose and trust your uro. I really hope it works out for you as well as it does for me. All the best.

I dream of having a normal cuppa with real tea, milk and sugar.

Comment

Lahey also

I just started with Dr. Bresette at the lahey clinic. I had a hydrodistention on Wed. He does seem nice after you get to know him. At first I was not impressed but I think he was testing me.

you have to do his whole program no matter if you have done it before. he starts with 3 meds, His IC diet, Fluid managment and time voids. I flunked the medication part. I had some sort of reaction. to urelle, macrobid & hydroxyzine, these are the 3 meds he starts with. My boday began to swell. I couldn't see my ankle bones it was so bad. I was nauseated, dizzy & weak. Ended up in the local ER.

After my hydro on wednesday he said my bladder looked better than he thought it would but we need to talk about treating this more aggresively. He then went in the waiting room and told my husband that he was suprised he couldn't stretch it to 400cc and that it looks like I will end up with a cystectomy.

I really was shocked I knew I would eventually but not this soon.
                  Lynn
                  IC/IBS Hopeful : I had my bladder removed on September 29, 2008 for me but I am also so happy I have no regrets

Comment

Sorry to hear that Lynn. Hmmm, I already went through all of that and I don't want another evasive procedure when I have the record from my first cysto. Do all the doctor's at Lahey require this (does anyone know)? Or it was just that one doctor?

~~Heidi~~
                    My issues:
                    Adenomyosis -Diagnosed 2010
                    Fibromyalgia - Diagnosed 2009
                    IBS - Diagnosed 2007
                    IC - Diagnosed 2003
                    Endo - Diagnosed 1998
                    Cystic Acne
                    Migraines

My meds:
                    Elmiron orally 100 mg 2x per day
                    Effexor 75mg 1x perday
                    Welburtin 150 mg 1x per day
                    Maxalt (as needed for migraines)
                    birth control pills

Comment

Hey,

Does anyone here have any experience with Imipramine aka Tofranil? It's a TCA and very similar to Amitriptyline but I have read it has less side effects. The one I am most concerned about is the dry mouth/anticholinergic affect. Does anyone have any experience with this drug and did you suffer dry mouth, and if so, did it go away?

Jem x

Comment

Tophrinol, Imiprimine

Hi Jem,

I took this for two years along with cytoprotek. The cystoprotek eventually worked for me. Anyway, the tophrinol really helped too. The side effects weren't too severe and shouldn't be that bad. Did I get a dry mouth, a little bit. Did it go away, yes. If you are experiencing a severe dry mouth, maybe you could ask your dr to reduce the dosage a bit. I believe that this is a tablet though that you have to maintain the dosage and not just one day have it and the next day decide not to. When I came off it, I gradually reduced the dosage.

Comment

thanks Rapunzel! Ur experience makes me feel really optimistic. I just read ur other post above too. I wasn't sure anyone would reply since this thread is pretty old, but it seemed a good place to ask my question. I am about to start Imipramine 10mg, though I will prob try to half it and start on the 5mg dose to lessen the chance of side effects and build up gradually if I can. Thanks again for ur response. I also LOVE tea btw.

Jem x

Comment

10mg, is a small dosage and that is what I took and it really helped. When I came off it, I quartered it and took the dosage down weekly in quarters. It was a task to quarter it though. Probably a bit over cautious. But always better to be that way. I guess that you could start at 5 mg. That's a good idea. It may not be that effective at 5 mgs though.And always ask a professional pharmacist or dr before you do something even though they might think that its over the top cautious. And if they dont help, ask another one.

Comment

I was also on the ic diet for years, Im not now though,

Comment

Working...
                              X