Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lab Built Bladders are on the way!!!!

Hi All!!

First off I have to thank Dede for sending me this wonderful article. I actaully have been looking into the same thing. Dr. Charles Vacanti from University of Worcester has been researching cell regeneration (NOT STEM CELLS) and had already grown a full sized dog bladder in a lab. I actaully saw it on TV. Bladder are quite ugly and hairy looking [img]eek.gif[/img] Anyways there it was, this dog bladder in a big glass jar the size of a water cooler jug. I only caught the tail end of this special that the TLC channel had on cell regeneration and Dr. Charles A. Vacanti.

This article below features Dr. Anthony Atala. I'm hoping for some of us, this may be the answer!!!! Please read this its quite fascinating.

[quote] By Pallab Ghosh
    Science correspondent

A leading surgeon in the US has told BBC News that he is ready to
    perform the world's first transplant of an artificially grown organ.

Dr Anthony Atala, of the Boston
    Children's Hospital, says he hopes
    to put a laboratory-engineered
    bladder into a patient once he has
    obtained the necessary regulatory
    approval.

He believes permission for the
    procedure, which has been
    pioneered in dogs, will come within
    the next few months.

Dr Attalla says that if he is successful with the bladder transplant, he
    will attempt to repair damaged hearts with new muscle and possibly
    even try to grow a kidney.

Polymer ball

"I think over time there will be no limit," Dr Atala said. "I think it is
    just a question of figuring out all the different tissue types and cell
    types and how they work best, but eventually I think that following
    the same strategies just about every organ in the body will be
    repairable at the very least."

It was exactly two years ago that a team from the Laboratory for
    Tissue Engineering at the Children's Hospital and Harvard Medical
    School in Boston announced that it had successfully implanted six
    beagle dogs with lab-grown bladders.

Tissue samples were taken from the animals' original bladders and
    these were used to cultivate the muscle cells and special bladder
    skin cells, called urothelial cells, needed to construct the artificial
    organs.

The multiplying cells were shaped into beagle bladders by bedding
    them down over polymer balls. Transplanted into the dogs, these
    lab-grown organs allowed the animals to urinate normally.

Important ally

Dr Atala believes his technique is sufficiently well developed that it
    could be used to treat a young child.

A lab-grown bladder could be the answer for a patient whose own
    organ has been destroyed by cancer or damaged by an infection or
    injury.

Dr Atala is seeking approval for human trials from the US Food and
    Drug Administration.

Although tissue engineering has huge potential, Dr Atala believes
    there will always be a need for donor organs. "I think tissue
    engineering is just another solution but it should help reduce the
    number of patients on a transplant list."

And, he believes, tissue engineering will prove to be a useful ally to
    the emerging field of stem cell medicine, in which "young" cells are
    injected into ailing tissue to regenerate it.

"For example, with a patient who has a failing heart, where
    obviously it would be very hard to get a biopsy because they would
    not tolerate the procedure; then I think stem cells would be the
    ideal answer." <hr></blockquote>
    Somewhere there's a reason /Why things go like they do /Somewhere there's a reason /Why some things just fall through /We don't always see them /For what they really are /But I know there's a reason /Just can't see it from this far /Maybe I don't like it, /But I have no choice /I know that somewhere, /Someone hears my voice / I thought I knew it all /I thought I had it made /How could it end this way? /I thought I knew Somewhere there's a reason /Why things don't go my way /Somewhere there's a reason /That I cannot explain /Just like the change of season, /Just may not be my turn /But I know there's a reason, /The lesson's mine to learn

Kara, animals always get the 1st of trial before humans. It's the way research operates. Besides, dogs are always grateful, and they don't turn around & sue! [img]wink.gif[/img]
    We can help one another here. Sue

Comment

When my brother was at Massachusetts Institute of Technology as a graduate student he was working on a project very similar to this. His team was working on a lab built human liver and his part was trying to get the cells to do what he wanted them to do.

I sent him the article when Dede sent it to me, and will be interested to see what he thinks of it. Will keep you posted.

Amanda

Comment

Hi all! Just to add one thing: after talking with Dr.Vacanti's secretary, her advice was to write up letter asking to be notified if trials were to be done. And also to go into great detail about the IC and how it is to live day to day life with it. But I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to send this Dr. Atala these letters. (?) Perhaps it would be a good idea to start writing those "to whom it may concern" letters.

And for clarification: The FDA did not approve these bladders for human trials yet and ALSO that those beagles were considered lab animals (just like lab rats, monkeys, etc.) and they are considered expendable while humans are not considered expendable. Sue is correct, that is just how research has always been done.
        Somewhere there's a reason /Why things go like they do /Somewhere there's a reason /Why some things just fall through /We don't always see them /For what they really are /But I know there's a reason /Just can't see it from this far /Maybe I don't like it, /But I have no choice /I know that somewhere, /Someone hears my voice / I thought I knew it all /I thought I had it made /How could it end this way? /I thought I knew Somewhere there's a reason /Why things don't go my way /Somewhere there's a reason /That I cannot explain /Just like the change of season, /Just may not be my turn /But I know there's a reason, /The lesson's mine to learn

Comment

I don't get it. Would these bladders function exactly like our own? Made from our own tissue so that there would not be a rejection factor?

Comment

Working...
          X