Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to find an ic specialist in pittsburgh pa

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need to find an ic specialist in pittsburgh pa

    Can anyone recommend a doctor who specializes is IC that is near the Pittsburgh, pa area. I am willing to travel further. My doctors stink. My urologist tells me when I'm in a flare that it is painful but its just a flare. She only has prescribed my the peridium and uribel. I'm currently in the worst flare I've had. My flares are terrible burning pain in my urethra, I don't experience some of the other symptoms ive read on here so I wonder if it's even IC that I have????? I need to find a good doctor that will actually help me! Thank you!!
    Current meds/treatments
    Elmiron 300mg,Valium vaginal 10mg 2x per day, rapaflo 8mg, probiotics, coconut oil,pelvic floor therapy.

    Pfd, Retention,IC

  • #2
    Re: Need to find an ic specialist in pittsburgh pa

    If you go to the ICN Front Page (link at the top of this page) you'll find a link to find a professional. There may be someone listed there who has been recommended by other IC patients.

    Donna
    Stay safe


    Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
    Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

    Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

    Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

    Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

    AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

    I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [3MG]

    Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Need to find an ic specialist in pittsburgh pa

      I have exactly the same symptoms as you and have just found a wonderful NP. She thinks I have Urethritis. She prescribed a special antibiotic and I think it is working. She said it take 2-3 weeks to see improvement though. The only problem is she is in Allentown at Lehigh Valley Hospital. If you can't find someone closer she is definitely worth the drive. She treats many patients with IC and has been in Urology for 28 years. I found her very knowledgeable. If a Dr. told me it's just a flare I would be gone. Here is her info if you want to give her a try. Also I got in the same week. I didn't have to wait a month or more to see her. Hang in there. I was where you are and now I am getting better. ((((HUGS))))

      http://www.uslv.net/clinical-staffs/debra-kramer/






      Originally posted by lmccusker View Post
      Can anyone recommend a doctor who specializes is IC that is near the Pittsburgh, pa area. I am willing to travel further. My doctors stink. My urologist tells me when I'm in a flare that it is painful but its just a flare. She only has prescribed my the peridium and uribel. I'm currently in the worst flare I've had. My flares are terrible burning pain in my urethra, I don't experience some of the other symptoms ive read on here so I wonder if it's even IC that I have????? I need to find a good doctor that will actually help me! Thank you!!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Need to find an ic specialist in pittsburgh pa

        Thank you so much!!! Could you tell me what the antibiotic is? I've been treated in the past with antibiotics even when I have a negative culture sometimes they help sometimes they don't. It's so frustrating I have 3 small children all under the age of 5 so being in pain and taking care of my kids is sometimes unbearable: (
        Current meds/treatments
        Elmiron 300mg,Valium vaginal 10mg 2x per day, rapaflo 8mg, probiotics, coconut oil,pelvic floor therapy.

        Pfd, Retention,IC

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Need to find an ic specialist in pittsburgh pa

          It's called Trimethoprim 100mg. I have to take it for 6 weeks. Today makes 1 week and I am already seeing improvement. I will go back to my uro in 2 more weeks and if it is working she will give me another 3 weeks. If not she wants to take a look. Praying for 3 more weeks of meds. I also had 2 negative urine tests and was given a different antibiotic. It did nothing. This one is great. Keeping fingers crossed for me and for you. Maybe you can get your Uro to prescribe this? I didn't realize you are 4-5 hours away. Worth a shot to ask anyway.
          Last edited by Cindi1967; 10-09-2015, 06:14 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Need to find an ic specialist in pittsburgh pa

            I just googled trimethoprim and interestingly enough the antibiotic bactrim (which is what usually makes me feel better) contains trimethoprim!! Interesting that we have the same symptoms and that particular drug has helped us both!!
            Current meds/treatments
            Elmiron 300mg,Valium vaginal 10mg 2x per day, rapaflo 8mg, probiotics, coconut oil,pelvic floor therapy.

            Pfd, Retention,IC

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Need to find an ic specialist in pittsburgh pa

              Hopefully you can try it. Finding the right Dr. makes a world of difference. If my old Uro would have given me this when I first went to see him in July I would be better by now and I wouldn't have had to suffer all these months. I really want to get him on the phone and yell really loud "YOU'RE FIRED". Hopefully someone closer to you can recommend a great Uro.


              Originally posted by lmccusker View Post
              I just googled trimethoprim and interestingly enough the antibiotic bactrim (which is what usually makes me feel better) contains trimethoprim!! Interesting that we have the same symptoms and that particular drug has helped us both!!

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Need to find an ic specialist in pittsburgh pa

                I also live in the Pittsburgh area. I was diagnosed with IC 25 years ago. It has been a very long struggle. The uro who diagnosed my IC passed away many years ago. Since, I have seen many different ones and many do not get my struggle. I have endometriosis, IBS, pelvic floor spasms, and levator*syndrome. There are days I can barely move however that is not an option as I have 2 children, my husband is often out of the country for work, and I have no help. I am currently seeing a uro (about 1 year so far) who is kind and is supposed to be very good with IC. However she seems to only want to focus on my frequency not the severe agony I suffer. I ask about pain management but she says the American Urological Association does not recommend pain medicine for my types of pain but rather I should take warm baths and ibuprofen. I am to start bladder instills soon after I complete physical therapy (I have been in pt for 8 weeks and still in agony). Any recommendations for Pittsburgh urologists? My urologist is actually in with the group that comes up first on the ic network last. Thanks.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Need to find an ic specialist in pittsburgh pa

                  Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                  I also live in the Pittsburgh area. I was diagnosed with IC 25 years ago. It has been a very long struggle. The uro who diagnosed my IC passed away many years ago. Since, I have seen many different ones and many do not get my struggle. I have endometriosis, IBS, pelvic floor spasms, and levator*syndrome. There are days I can barely move however that is not an option as I have 2 children, my husband is often out of the country for work, and I have no help. I am currently seeing a uro (about 1 year so far) who is kind and is supposed to be very good with IC. However she seems to only want to focus on my frequency not the severe agony I suffer. I ask about pain management but she says the American Urological Association does not recommend pain medicine for my types of pain but rather I should take warm baths and ibuprofen. I am to start bladder instills soon after I complete physical therapy (I have been in pt for 8 weeks and still in agony). Any recommendations for Pittsburgh urologists? My urologist is actually in with the group that comes up first on the ic network last. Thanks.
                  I can't help with a physician name for you (other than the list on our site of doctors recommended by other IC patients) since I live clear across the country from you, but I thought you might want to have a look at the American Urological Association Guidelines and there's a link to them in my signature below. You might find some options in the guidelines that you can discuss with your doctor.

                  Donna
                  Stay safe


                  Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
                  Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

                  Have you checked the ICN Shop?
                  Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

                  Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

                  Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

                  Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

                  AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

                  I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                  [3MG]

                  Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Need to find an ic specialist in pittsburgh pa

                    I see Dr Rubino in greensburg pa. She's very nice I just started elmiron and pt so it's a waiting game.
                    Current meds/treatments
                    Elmiron 300mg,Valium vaginal 10mg 2x per day, rapaflo 8mg, probiotics, coconut oil,pelvic floor therapy.

                    Pfd, Retention,IC

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X