Chicago Area Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicago Area Anyone?

Does anyone on the boards live in the Chicago area? I live in Buffalo Grove and there really isn't a support group in the Chicago suburbs area. It would be nice to get one started. It is so hard for people to understand just what we ICer's go through. So anyone in the area, please feel free to contact me. I would love to chat. Even if you don't live in the area, feel free to contact me to chat as well. I have had this for over 10yrs and the best way for us to concur this horrible disease is to stick together.

Take care!!!!

Hi there!
    I'm in the Glendale Heights/Carol Stream/Bloomingdale area! It is so nice to stick together. After all, we are the only ones who can totally understand each other! I am 31. I've had symptoms since 2000. I always say that I guess I was not Y2K compatible!
    I'd love to chat more? Who do you see? I see a great OBGYN in Lombard.
    Take Care!

Comment

Hello!!!!!

Hi July,

I just turned 32 last week! I have had IC since I was 19 yrs old. It really was terrible to have had this for soooo long. I felt like I lost my 20's. Anyway, I did go into remission when I was away at school, but then it returned when I moved back to Chicago. I really think that there is something in the air or in the water. What I mean is that whatever it is, is effecting our bodies, either by altering our "good" bacteria or allergies. I never had any bladder problems when I was younger at all, but I got my first UTI when I was 19 and it was all downhill from there. I had not taken any antibiotics much prior to when I was 19, and then with my first and subsequent monthy UTI's I was taking tons. So I think it really loused me up! I am so glad to find someone who lives so close by to talk to!!!! I would love to chat. It is so hard for people who don't have this disease to understand it. It is so much more complex than people think. I am currently in graduate school to become a licensed counselor/school counselor. It is hard at times but I try to my best to get through it. Give me a buzz anytime. I would love to chat!

Do you know if there is a support group for us suburbanites? I have only come across one in Chicago, which is a bit far to drive.

Take care!!!!!

Marianne

Comment

Hi Marianne,
        I live in California now but lived in Chicago (Oak Park) for 6 years and I really miss it! Just wanted to say hi to a fellow midwesterner! I grew up in Cleveland, Ohio, then moved to Chicago with my husband after college. We go back to Chicago to visit every couple of years. We still have friends and family there.

I hope you find a good support group, I haven't found one in my area yet, but at least we have the ICN! Say hi to Chicago for me and I hope to chat with you again soon.
        Jenny

Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out.
        - John Wooden

----------------------------------------------------

IC, IBS, PFD, CFS-FM, PCOS, RLS, TMJ

Wife, stay at home mother of two beautiful girls, former art teacher and architect

Comment

Hi Mooeeann,
          I'm going to email you, too, but just wanted to say how interesting it is that you should mention the water/air in Chicago. Did you grow up in the Chicagoland area with no problems? I did not. I always have wondered about the water/air or something in the environment but thought I was perhaps grasping at straws. I was totally surprised to see that the thought has also crossed your mind! I assume you went away from Chicago for college? Were you fine then? Hmmm? I'm going to see if I can find more info. about a support group in the area. It is so nice to speak to others in the area who know the painful and depressing effects of IC and related illnesses. I get so frustrated with people...even family...who think it is a minor nuisance that can be easily resolved. Check your email!

Comment

My name is Tara and I live in Aurora, IL.
            I had heard about a support group meeting at Central DuPage Hospital in Winfield, IL .. but unfortunately have not made it to a meeting yet.
            Please let me know of any support groups in the area ... as I desparately need support from people who understand what IC is and feels like .. cuz my family, friends, coworkers and employers dont understand.
            Thanks and take care
            Tara
            Tara (tbokay)

Age almost 33! (4/27)
            Single - no kids, but 1 cat, Bianca QT
            Diagnosed mild IC in Oct 2004 - but on 11/7/05 told I DO NOT have IC (even though 2 other doctors agree that I DO have IC)
            2nd cystoscopy 10/6/06 confirms I DO have IC! 3 out of 4 urologists agree ... It's not in my head!

9/11/06 Urodynamic results - bladder wont hold more than 200cc without causing retention due to lack of strength in bladder to start urine flow.
            5/3/06 had IVP that revealed "mild swelling" of right kidney and ureter due to "recurrent infections or urine backup into kidney"
            4/13/07 - started RMSO once a week for six weeks - ON HOLD DUE TO INFECTION!!! Scheduled to start again 5/4/07.

Past meds:
            Elmiron - severe nausea
            Prosed - triggers migraines
            Fentanyl - 3 day pain patch - lasted 36 hrs before I had to remove due to adverse reaction
            Vicodin - stopped working
            Tramadol - caused urine retention
            Fioricet - caused urine retention
            Nitrofurantoin (antibiotic for 3 months)
            Celebrex 200 mg
            Pyridium 200mg (for 30 days supply)

Comment

Hi, I'm Cari and I live out west in Carpentersville. If you haven't heard of it, it is just west of Barrington. I'm about 30 minutes from BG. I would love to get into a group--even if it is just via the boards or chats!

Cari
              2 Corinthians 12:9 God's grace is sufficient for me.

Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you says the Lord, plans for good and not calamity to give you a future and a HOPE.

Comment

hi fellow chicagoanites and chicago visitors,

I'm a northsider (Lakeview) now, grew up in the 'burbs. I love Chicago. I don't think it's the water/environment (although I have to say I basically live across the street from Lake Michigan), so I'll give that more thought. ..I have suffered with IC since approximately age 27--i'm not almost 38, so I can relate to losing out on good years. Still, to give you hope, things have gotten better, not worse for me, though I'm still looking for answers. I'm about 90% good with following the IC diet. My PFD (pelvic floor dsyf and pain) is of more distress than the IC itself.

I can't find a support group in Chicago. I like the idea, but I'm already spending so much time going to and from MD's, on this website, and following up on all their therapies, that I'm not convinced a support group is what I need. Plus, I work full-time. However, I do believe it is ridiculous that a major city such as this does not appear to have one. Winfield is too long a trek for Chicago and northern suburbs.

Hang in there, and if I can be of any assistance, just email.

Comment

I live in Michigan City, IN (a hop skip and a jump away from Chi town). I would travel for an IC group in or around Chicago (the South Shore trains have bathrooms... yippee!) If we can't get a support group together perhaps maybe we can at least meet for lunch. bonk
                  Elizabeth

Symptoms started Nov. 2005; Diagnosed Jan. 2006
                  Taking Elmiron, Vicodin (for pain), Duragesic patches (for pain), Requip (for RLS), and Prelief

Comment

Chicago Support

I'd be willing to get together! I'm available late May-ish, early June...not too far away! I'm on the Northside (Lakeview-Lincoln Park-Wrigleyville area) of the city, but have car will travel!

Depending on how many of us there are, might be able to figure out comfortable accomodations for our meeting as well!

Comment

I live on the Southside of Chicago. I've been lokking for a support group too. The ones that are listed on this website seem to not exisit anymore. I would be interested in attending a support group. Let me know if you need help starting one.I'm 24 and was diagnosed in May 03.Let me know when you are planning on getting together.e-mail me [email protected] or you can PM me

Kris

Comment

Support Group at Lutheran General Hospital

I am working to start a support group at Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge. I have just printed some flyers to leave at two of my doctors' offices and also to leave with my physical therapists at LGH. I am trying to see if there is enough interest to start a group. If you would be interested in this group, please email me at [email protected] to let me know. I hope that this works out!

Barb

Comment

Re: Chicago Area Anyone?

I am 33 years old.. Been diagnosed for a year.. I have horrible pain.. And I hope to be out of pain soon...

Comment

Working...
                          X