Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a Physical Therapist for IC pain

Hi!

I live in the NW suburbs of Chicago. My urogyne prescribed physical therapy. Does it help with IC and urethral pain? I heard it may make things worse. My flares are intermittent and am afraid I will flare up again after PT. Can anyone recommend a therapist? I am considering the ones at Lutheran General Hospital or Lake County Physical Therapy in Wheeling. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Cindy
    Last edited by tweety34; 05-22-2007, 10:38 AM.
    William Ellery Channing:
    Difficulties are meant to rouse, not discourage. The human spirit is to grow strong by conflict.

Hi,
    I am a PT and found a PT that specializes in women's health by going to the American PT Association website (www.apta.org). At the top of the page it says find a PT and then you enter the speciality area and zipcode near you. It schould list the PT's in your area.
    Hope that helps,
    Nancy

Comment

PT in Chicago area

My Urologist speaks highley of a PT specifically trained in IC treatment at Loyola. Sorry, but I do not have her name.
      I myself have just started PT here in Peoria......so far so good.
      My first treatment caused a few day's of pelvic pain so this last appointment my PT hooked me up to the TENS unit for 30 minutse before I left, so far the "after" pain has not been as bad.

I hope my treatments will be succesful...guess the goal is to stay optimistic and hopefully flare free for awhile!

Best wishes to you!!!
      Neseil

Comment

I live in Chicago, and I am going to Kamin Physical therapy. There are three therapists there. Bernadette Kamin is suppose to be very very good, but she is going on maternity leave for a couple months. But I am seeing Elenor Potter and she seems very nice and gentle. She seems like she would work with you to your needs.I have only had one visit so far, so I really cant say either way, but I do know that she is very nice and is willing to work with you. She does not treat everyone alike, she treats every person as an indiviual which I liked. They are located in Park Ridge IL. Feel free to PM me if you need any further info.
        Jen

Comment

PT so far??

Jen,
          If you don't mind me asking, how has your treatment been so far?
          I have only had two sessions, I'm trying to stay optimistic. So far I have refused medications other than Enablex for frequency.
          Wednesday's session included a lower spine and front to back/inner and outer thigh massage. It seemed to trigger pains in the bladder which lead me to believe it was doing it's job in some way......have you done anything like that???? The PT then hooked me up to the TENS unit for 20 minutes to calm everything down......I'd love one for home, it seemed to really help.
          Any feedback would be greatley appreciated.
          neseil

Comment

Hi Neseil.
            Well, I only went to one appointment so far, which was really my evaluation. The therapist rubbed and massaged parts of my pelvic area and also checked internally with her finger, she just pressed to feel the pelvic floor,she did not do any massaging though. She also gave me these stretching excerises to do at home daily.
            To be honest, I have been in a huge flare ever since. I dont know of it was from all the massaging she did or from the excerises I have been doing that she gave me.
            I think she is good, but I just dont know if this is going to be the thing for me or not. I am going to ask my urogyne about it today and see what he says. I just find it odd that I feel so much worse.
            The only time she triggered any pain in my bladder during my appointment was when she did the internal exam and pressed on the bladder area. So that is where I am at right now. How did you feel the day after your appointment? Did your bladder feel worse?
            Jen

Comment

Jen74,
              Sorry to hear this caused a flare. My first appointment was the same, which left me with a lot of pelvic pain and pressure. I told my PT at my second appointment, she decided to hook me up to the TENS unit after the therapy session to settle everything down, it did help. I am feeling much better the second time around.
              Wish you the best for a great Second session.
              Neseil

Comment

Re: Looking for a Physical Therapist for IC pain

Hi guys, how are you all doing?? I hope well... Does any of you guys benifit from physical therapy.. My dr does not think I have ic and he wants me to try physical therapy .. I live in Chicago.. Please help

Comment

My name is Nancy and I have gotten GREAT relief from Physical Therapy!

Comment

Nancy are u symptom free... For how long did you have to go ??

Comment

For a couple of months but I started to feel relief after a couple of visits although you will be a little sore.

Originally posted by Nancy1980 View Post
                      Nancy are u symptom free... For how long did you have to go ??

Comment

Nancy so now u are symptom free??? Pain free?? My main issue is cramps pain and back pain...did u follow any specific diet at take any supplements??? Thank u

Comment

I am not completely symptom free but my pelvic floor muscles tend to get tight and the internal work my PT does helps to relax those muscles. She also works on my back and abdominal muscles which are all connected to the pelvic floor muscles. I do not really have any problems when I eat certain foods so do not follow a diet or take any supplements. I am also a PT but do not have training in this area. Been going to my PT on and off for several years and she is really good!

Comment

Nancy do u have pelvi floor pain??

Comment

What r your symptoms?? Nancy.

Comment

Working...
                              X