Good IC doctors in Utah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Moving to Utah

I need a good urologist in Utah. Did anyone have any success with Dr. Oldroyd? I live in Utah county and need a good Urologist. I heard Dr. Stout is good but she's far for me to drive to. Any other suggestions? I'm in a horrible flare and I really need some help. I've had the worst experiences with urologists.
    Last edited by ICNDonna; 03-04-2015, 04:00 AM. Reason: Removed negative regarding specific individual.
    Emily

Pain purifies us

*Diagnosed with IC in 2006 with cystoscopy. My bladder bled everywhere. The nurse fainted.

Misdiagnosed with IBS
    Started with bad malabsorbtion problems (leaky gut syndrome)
    Found out I had food allergies from an elimination diet (allergic to Milk, Soy, High intolerance to Gluten, and Nuts. My gut feels sooooo much better now that I'm off these). Turned into a leaky bladder lining= IC.

[Medications; Elmiron, Lyrica, Sudafed, Aloe Vera, Yaz (Birth Control; for lighter periods to avoid bad flares) I'm doing great yeah!
    IntrestitialCystitisRelief.blogspot.com [email protected]

Comment

I like Dr. Oldroyd as a person! His son is one of my best friends, so I refuse to go to him for urology stuff. I've been to Dr. Liz Graul at Phase II Women's Center in Murray three times in the last week and a half, and I really like her. She got the ball moving on my symptoms really fast. I saw her Thursday, had the test and a diagnosis on Tuesday, had my first treatment on Thursday. She's very nice and sympathetic, and her office staff is really nice too. In my opinion, she is worth the drive. Plus, she's a uro-gynecologist, so she can take care of everything. She has me on birth control to control hormone fluctuations and hopefully lessen my flares.
      ~ JC - 29 year old female

What I've Got:
      Interstitial Cystitis (Diagnosed March 2014, but suspected for 7 years before)
      Irritable Bowel Syndrome
      Eosinophilic Esophagitis
      Fibromyalgia
      Leaky Gut Syndrome
      Food and environmental allergies

Currently Taking:
      Desert Harvest Aloe Vera (3 a day)
      VSL#3 (probiotic - 3 a day)
      Pyridium as needed
      George's Always Active Aloe Vera as needed

Comment

Originally posted by Chamomile View Post
        I like Dr. Oldroyd as a person! His son is one of my best friends, so I refuse to go to him for urology stuff. I've been to Dr. Liz Graul at Phase II Women's Center in Murray three times in the last week and a half, and I really like her. She got the ball moving on my symptoms really fast. I saw her Thursday, had the test and a diagnosis on Tuesday, had my first treatment on Thursday. She's very nice and sympathetic, and her office staff is really nice too. In my opinion, she is worth the drive. Plus, she's a uro-gynecologist, so she can take care of everything. She has me on birth control to control hormone fluctuations and hopefully lessen my flares.

Thank you for your help! I never heard back and needed to get into someone quickly so I actually went to see Dr. Oldroyd. I really liked him a lot. He called me personally with all my test results. I've never had a doctor do that. It was really nice.

What treatments is Liz Graul having you do right now? I'm on continuous birth control, but Dr. Oldroyd thinks my gynecologist should work with me on some more hormone treatments. I wonder if seeing a uro-gynecologist would be better.

My IC also started with leaky gut and I have a ton of allergies too. What do you take the corn silk for?
        Emily

Pain purifies us

*Diagnosed with IC in 2006 with cystoscopy. My bladder bled everywhere. The nurse fainted.

Misdiagnosed with IBS
        Found out I had food allergies from an elimination diet (allergic to Milk, Soy, High intolerance to Gluten, and Nuts. My gut feels sooooo much better now that I'm off these). Turned into a leaky bladder lining= IC.

[Medications; Elmiron, Lyrica, Sudafed, Aloe Vera, Yaz (Birth Control; for lighter periods to avoid bad flares) I'm doing great yeah!

Comment

I'm glad you liked Dr. Oldroyd! He is really nice. I'm impressed also that he called you with your test results. That's a nice touch.

I'm also on continuous birth control. Dr. Graul tested my hormone levels because we were concerned I had poly-cycstic ovarian syndrome. The tests came back negative for that, but she noticed my testosterone level was higher than my estrogen, which is why she started me on birth control. I was having very painful periods and ovulation, plus each would make me flare as well. I'm hopeful that balancing things out will alleviate some of my symptoms.

Dr. Graul is also having me come in twice a week for bladder washings. She said that many women actually go into remission if they do enough of the washes. She inserts a catheter and fills my bladder with heparin and lidocaine, which I then have to hold for an hour. If this does not work, she will start experimenting with other medications to find something that helps. Her last resort is Elmiron, because it's expensive and has side effects. I've only been seeing her for a week, so I can't say yet if these treatments are helping. I can tell she really cares, though, and I love that she can help me with urology stuff as well as gynecology stuff. Sometimes they are related.

I take Corn Silk for urethra and bladder pain. They actually take the silks from corn and put it in capsules. It has been used by Native Americans for eons for urinary tract pain. It makes things slippery, and is very soothing. Popcorn has been the only thing that has calmed a flare for me, and I crave it all the time. Since I started taking these capsules, I'm not craving popcorn anymore so I guess my body likes it. It's harmless and really cheap, so it might be worth a try!

I take probiotics for my leaky gut as well as allergies. My research shows that taking probiotics for long enough can cure a leaky gut and even get rid of some allergies. I'll try anything!

What I've Got:
          Irritable Bowel Syndrome
          Eosinophilic Esophagitis
          Fibromyalgia
          Leaky Gut Syndrome

Currently Taking:
          Pyridium as needed

Comment

Originally posted by Chamomile View Post
            I'm glad you liked Dr. Oldroyd! He is really nice. I'm impressed also that he called you with your test results. That's a nice touch.

I'm also on continuous birth control. Dr. Graul tested my hormone levels because we were concerned I had poly-cycstic ovarian syndrome. The tests came back negative for that, but she noticed my testosterone level was higher than my estrogen, which is why she started me on birth control. I was having very painful periods and ovulation, plus each would make me flare as well. I'm hopeful that balancing things out will alleviate some of my symptoms.

Dr. Graul is also having me come in twice a week for bladder washings. She said that many women actually go into remission if they do enough of the washes. She inserts a catheter and fills my bladder with heparin and lidocaine, which I then have to hold for an hour. If this does not work, she will start experimenting with other medications to find something that helps. Her last resort is Elmiron, because it's expensive and has side effects. I've only been seeing her for a week, so I can't say yet if these treatments are helping. I can tell she really cares, though, and I love that she can help me with urology stuff as well as gynecology stuff. Sometimes they are related.

I take Corn Silk for urethra and bladder pain. They actually take the silks from corn and put it in capsules. It has been used by Native Americans for eons for urinary tract pain. It makes things slippery, and is very soothing. Popcorn has been the only thing that has calmed a flare for me, and I crave it all the time. Since I started taking these capsules, I'm not craving popcorn anymore so I guess my body likes it. It's harmless and really cheap, so it might be worth a try!

I take probiotics for my leaky gut as well as allergies. My research shows that taking probiotics for long enough can cure a leaky gut and even get rid of some allergies. I'll try anything!
            Dr. Oldroyd was concerned that an instill might flare me right now because my urethra is spasming so much.

Will you let me know how the bladder washings go? If they help your symptoms I'd love to know, because I'm in such a bad flare right now. Instills didn't work for me in the past but if she says some patients go into remission that would be wonderful if it's true.

I'm going to try the corn silk. I take probiotics daily for my leaky gut as well and they have been a lifesaver. As well as treating yeast. And I take fish oil too, which helps with the inflammation caused by the leaky gut. I crave (butter free) popcorn too! I eat it almost daily! Thank you so much for your help!
            Emily

Pain purifies us

Misdiagnosed with IBS

Comment

See, that's my concern. I think the washings have started a flare. I've always complained most about urethra burning. It's been burning constantly for almost a year now. And now they are sticking a catheter up there twice a week. How could that help my irritated urethra? She said it can take 4-6 washings before I feel any improvement, though, so I'm holding on to that. I have another treatment tomorrow, so I will probably be asking a bunch of questions. I'll let you know how things go as I continue on!

I'm glad the probiotics help! I just started taking them consistently a couple months ago, but I hear it takes some time for them to help. What do you think? And how many do you take a day?

Dr. Graul was floored when I told her I craved air popped popcorn! She said she had never heard of anything helping with a flare, so I'm glad I know someone else who has noticed the same thing! I hope the Corn Silk pills help you. I still love popcorn, but I no longer crave it like I used to. I used to make a ton every day! Good Earth has some, but I like the ones from Swanson Vitamins because the capsules have more mgs. Let me know what you think! It's best if you take it consistently, rather than when you're flaring or uncomfortable. That way it can build up and really coat things. Good luck!

What I've Got:
              Irritable Bowel Syndrome
              Eosinophilic Esophagitis
              Fibromyalgia
              Leaky Gut Syndrome

Currently Taking:
              Pyridium as needed

Comment

I take 6 probiotics once a day. If I'm on antibiotics i take double the dose. I've been taking them for several years now. They have helped my leaky gut tremendously. I'm going to try the corn silk.

What do you take the D-mannose for?

I hope the flaring from the instills calms down! Let me know how it goes.
                Emily

Pain purifies us

Misdiagnosed with IBS

Comment

Oh, maybe I will up my dose of probiotics. Do you take them 2 three times a day or all at once?

D-Mannose is great stuff. It's the substance found in cranberries that helps with UTIs and urinary pain. Cranberries are so hard on IC sufferers, but the D-Mannose is really soothing and just as good. It supports the urinary tract, prevents UTIs, maintains a healthy balance of flora, promotes optimal digestive health, and boosts the immune system. It's also pretty cheap. I have horrible insurance, so I'm doing as many natural healing methods as I can. Plus, they are healthier anyway.

Thanks for your well wishes! I'll be sure to let you know how things go.

What I've Got:
                  Irritable Bowel Syndrome
                  Eosinophilic Esophagitis
                  Fibromyalgia
                  Leaky Gut Syndrome

Currently Taking:
                  Pyridium as needed

Comment

I know this is an old thread but I also moved to Utah County last year and have yet to find a GYN or a urologist. Can anyone give me an update on the drs you are seeing? Liz Graul? Oldroyd?
                    The combo of things that brought me out of remission were artificial sweetners, liquid vitamins with citric acid, tight pants, lower body workouts and stopping all my allergy meds cold turkey during height of allergy season. I wish I knew back then what I know now about IC
                    First IC symptoms Spring of 2000; In-office cystoscopy 2002 -negative; Remission until 2007 (yeah!!); Negative PST spring of 2007; IC diagnosed via Cystoscopy and Hydrodistention 7/24/07; Another In-office cystoscopy 4/9/10 with biopsy showed inflammation
                    Treatments for my IC/PFD: Elmiron 400 mg per day; walking, Zyrtec, Claritin, Singulair, Neurontin 100 mg per day; Ice packs and laying down; About to try Cytotec
                    Tried and Failed: Heat (always makes me worse!), Heparin instills -too painful for my urethra; Atarax (interfered with my quality of sleep first time, second time dried my bladder out; Elavil makes me sick, lidocaine patches (just plain don't work), Cystoprotek (only tried a couple months but didn't seem to do much), Aloe Vera caps, pelvic floor therapy, trigger point work flared me worse, Lyrica (bad stomach pain)
                    Other Diagnoses: PFD 2009; Fibromyalgia 2006, Osteopenia 2012, GERD 2006, Gastroparesis (delayed gastric emptying) Anxiety: Other medications: Ambien, Dexilant, Ibuprofren, Necon 1/35, Voltaren gel for tailbone
                    BABY GIRL 10/28/08 *** BABY BOY 7/8/11

Comment

Originally posted by Charisse View Post
                      I know this is an old thread but I also moved to Utah County last year and have yet to find a GYN or a urologist. Can anyone give me an update on the drs you are seeing? Liz Graul? Oldroyd?
                      I really like Dr. Oldroyd. I also have a great Primary Care doctor. Jarrod Bagely at Pioneer Comprehensive Medical in Draper. I used to flare from physical therapy but I've found a PT that is really gentle and it helps with the PFD. Her name is Valerie Shwalbe at Hand and Orthropedic in Draper. There aren't a lot of good options in Utah County. I've heard that the U of U has the best GYN/URO/PT team in Utah. But I'm very happy with the team of doctors I've found closer to Utah County. Hope this helps!
                      Emily

Pain purifies us

Misdiagnosed with IBS

Comment

Thank you so much for responding! This is really helpful. My primary care dr. is great .. I love her. She also gave me the name of a uro-GYN today but wasn't sure if she knew much about IC. I will call and find out. I really don't want to go through all the testing again and it seems like most uros want a repeat hydro. But I am interested in trying out PT again for sure. I'm not too far from Draper.

Originally posted by emilyjean View Post
                        I really like Dr. Oldroyd. I also have a great Primary Care doctor. Jarrod Bagely at Pioneer Comprehensive Medical in Draper. I used to flare from physical therapy but I've found a PT that is really gentle and it helps with the PFD. Her name is Valerie Shwalbe at Hand and Orthropedic in Draper. There aren't a lot of good options in Utah County. I've heard that the U of U has the best GYN/URO/PT team in Utah. But I'm very happy with the team of doctors I've found closer to Utah County. Hope this helps!
                        The combo of things that brought me out of remission were artificial sweetners, liquid vitamins with citric acid, tight pants, lower body workouts and stopping all my allergy meds cold turkey during height of allergy season. I wish I knew back then what I know now about IC
                        First IC symptoms Spring of 2000; In-office cystoscopy 2002 -negative; Remission until 2007 (yeah!!); Negative PST spring of 2007; IC diagnosed via Cystoscopy and Hydrodistention 7/24/07; Another In-office cystoscopy 4/9/10 with biopsy showed inflammation
                        Treatments for my IC/PFD: Elmiron 400 mg per day; walking, Zyrtec, Claritin, Singulair, Neurontin 100 mg per day; Ice packs and laying down; About to try Cytotec
                        Tried and Failed: Heat (always makes me worse!), Heparin instills -too painful for my urethra; Atarax (interfered with my quality of sleep first time, second time dried my bladder out; Elavil makes me sick, lidocaine patches (just plain don't work), Cystoprotek (only tried a couple months but didn't seem to do much), Aloe Vera caps, pelvic floor therapy, trigger point work flared me worse, Lyrica (bad stomach pain)
                        Other Diagnoses: PFD 2009; Fibromyalgia 2006, Osteopenia 2012, GERD 2006, Gastroparesis (delayed gastric emptying) Anxiety: Other medications: Ambien, Dexilant, Ibuprofren, Necon 1/35, Voltaren gel for tailbone
                        BABY GIRL 10/28/08 *** BABY BOY 7/8/11

Comment

Originally posted by Charisse View Post
                          I've quit going to Dr. Graul. She was great, but there was not much she could do for me. Her solutions are Elmiron, which is too expensive for me and bladder washes, which actually caused my flares. I've also gone off the birth control she put me on because it made me IBS so bad I could barely function. So I'm definitely discouraged.

What I've Got:
                          Irritable Bowel Syndrome
                          Eosinophilic Esophagitis
                          Fibromyalgia
                          Leaky Gut Syndrome

Currently Taking:
                          Pyridium as needed

Comment

Working...