Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone in Fairfax County?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Anyone in Fairfax County?

    Anyone in Fairfax Co?
    If so, has anyone seen the urologists at Dominion Urological Consultants? It's in Fairfax. There is a Korean urologist there that I would like to see.
    In memory of my beloved best friend in the whole world! Timmy (West Highland White Terrier)
    11/24/04-9/5/2011


    God Bless,

    Anna

  • #2
    I forgot to also ask anyone has seen or still seeing any of the urologists at Urology Group in Reston? Or the urologists at Urologic Surgeons of Washington (they are GW docs)

    Thanks
    In memory of my beloved best friend in the whole world! Timmy (West Highland White Terrier)
    11/24/04-9/5/2011


    God Bless,

    Anna

    Comment


    • #3
      fairafax county

      Hi Ana,
      I live in Fairfax County but have not seen any of the doctors you mentioned. I am a Kaiser patient and so am limited to their doctors, at least for now. I was just diagnosed with IC two days ago, and am still feeling my way around.
      Have you seen any of the docs you mentioned and if so, is there someone that you particularly liked?
      Laurie

      Comment


      • #4
        I have seen the doctors in Reston and in DC. The ones in Reston are really good, but the driving distance was really far. I used to work near Reston so that's why I went to the urologists in Reston.
        In memory of my beloved best friend in the whole world! Timmy (West Highland White Terrier)
        11/24/04-9/5/2011


        God Bless,

        Anna

        Comment


        • #5
          Urogyn in NoVA

          Recommend Dr. Eric Hurtado in Fairfax. Clare Kalina (IC PT) also works in the same group.

          Comment


          • #6
            urogyn in fairfax

            Hi,
            I just read your post and was wondering if Dr. Hurtado is an IC specialist.
            Thanks,
            Laurie

            Comment


            • #7
              Fairfax doctor

              Yes, many of the doctors in that group are very well versed in IC. The group also includes PT specializing in PFD and a nurse who does weekly instills.

              Here is the website:

              http://www.midatlanticpelvicsurgery.com

              Comment


              • #8
                doctors in Fairfax

                Originally posted by anigro07 View Post
                Yes, many of the doctors in that group are very well versed in IC. The group also includes PT specializing in PFD and a nurse who does weekly instills.

                Here is the website:

                http://www.midatlanticpelvicsurgery.com

                Thanks very much. I'm going to see if I can get Kaiser to give me an outside referral. If not, I might just go anyway.
                Laurie

                Comment


                • #9
                  doctors

                  Originally posted by anigro07 View Post
                  Yes, many of the doctors in that group are very well versed in IC. The group also includes PT specializing in PFD and a nurse who does weekly instills.

                  Here is the website:

                  http://www.midatlanticpelvicsurgery.com

                  Hi,
                  As expected, Kaiser denied my referral to see Dr. Hurtado.
                  I may go anyway, but I just wanted to ask, if it's not to personal, what Dr. Hurtado's approach to treating your IC has been.
                  Thanks very much.
                  Laurie

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Fairfax doctor

                    I'm fairly new in his care. I originally went to see the PT, Clare Kalina, who was recommended to me by my gyno (who has been busting her butt trying to find me new treatments). Clare really helped the muscle component of my pain, but right now my bladder is very reactive to almost anything.

                    She recommended that I consult with Dr. Hurtado for other options beyond PT. He saw that I was on the usual (Elmiron, Elavil) and suggested that I do the rescue instills provided by his nurse. That so far has been successful in getting me out of a flare, but an unfortunate misstep with a supplement has put me back in a flare again. I will see him again next week and we'll discuss additional instills and the supplements I've been trying.

                    The unique things about that office are the PT and the instills. No matter your insurance, you're looking for a doc who is familiar with IC, is compassionate and respectful, and is willing to at least look at the research and options you bring to him or her.

                    My mom, however, had a rule about having to be refused by her insurance at least five times before she gave up. When I'm there next week it should be easy to ask if his office has best practices when dealing with Kaiser, or worst case scenario, who they might recommend in Kaiser's network.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Almost forgot

                      Dr. Hurtado prescribed me Prosed DS. For a mild-moderate flare at night, it's been a helpful addition to the arsenal in reducing frequency.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        doctor

                        Originally posted by anigro07 View Post
                        I'm fairly new in his care. I originally went to see the PT, Clare Kalina, who was recommended to me by my gyno (who has been busting her butt trying to find me new treatments). Clare really helped the muscle component of my pain, but right now my bladder is very reactive to almost anything.

                        She recommended that I consult with Dr. Hurtado for other options beyond PT. He saw that I was on the usual (Elmiron, Elavil) and suggested that I do the rescue instills provided by his nurse. That so far has been successful in getting me out of a flare, but an unfortunate misstep with a supplement has put me back in a flare again. I will see him again next week and we'll discuss additional instills and the supplements I've been trying.

                        The unique things about that office are the PT and the instills. No matter your insurance, you're looking for a doc who is familiar with IC, is compassionate and respectful, and is willing to at least look at the research and options you bring to him or her.

                        My mom, however, had a rule about having to be refused by her insurance at least five times before she gave up. When I'm there next week it should be easy to ask if his office has best practices when dealing with Kaiser, or worst case scenario, who they might recommend in Kaiser's network.
                        Thanks very much.
                        I'm glad the instills are working for you. Hopefully, your flare won't last too long.
                        Laurie

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Kaiser recommendation

                          I asked Dr. Hurtado's office about Kaiser - they said you can fight a refusal, but it may take a few letters to insist you're not getting the care you need. A letter on your behalf from your primary doc would help. I'm sorry you're having to do the paperwork runaround.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            fairfax county

                            Originally posted by anigro07 View Post
                            I asked Dr. Hurtado's office about Kaiser - they said you can fight a refusal, but it may take a few letters to insist you're not getting the care you need. A letter on your behalf from your primary doc would help. I'm sorry you're having to do the paperwork runaround.
                            Thanks for asking, that was very kind of you.
                            Right now I'm on hold, just taking care of myself and seeing how I do.

                            I hope you're doing well!
                            Laurie

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Yep!
                              I AM STRONG<3

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X