This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drug Assistance Programs Can Help!

We've maintained a list of drug assistance programs on our site for a number of drugs! Please check it out at:

http://www.ic-network.com/drugassistance/

Jill
    Would you like to talk with someone about your IC struggles? The ICN now offers personal coaching sessions that include myself, Julie Beyer RD on the diet and Dr. Heather Howard on Sexuality. http://www.icnsales.com/icn-personal-coaching/

Looking for books, magazines & reports on IC? Please visit the ICN Shop at: http://www.icnsales.com: Your ICN subscription & purchases in our shop support these message boards, chats and special events. BECOME AN ICN ANGEL TODAY!

Please remember that the information on the ICN is provided with the understanding that ICN, its founder, staff, volunteers, and participants are not engaged in rendering medical or professional medical services. We cannot and do not give medical advice. Only your personal physician can do this for you.

Thanks Jill for the update I think may people will find this site useful.
    sending hugs and prayers
    Rhonda
    Medicine taken daily or as needed:
    1. Heaprin and Marcaine rescue installment 1 to 3x daily as needed.
    2. MS.Cotin 100mg 3x daily
    3. MSIR 30mg 1 or 2 every 4-6hrs as needed for breakthrew pain.
    4. Fentanyl 100 mg Change every 48hrs.
    5. Gentamicin 80mg install after each rescue treatment
    5 Leviquin 500mg self start as needed.
    6. Klonopin 1 or 2 daily as needed.
    7. Prosed/DS as 1 every 6hrs as needed.

I have IC, but IC doesn't have me anymore!

Comment

Compound Compounding prescription for estrogen that Medical will NOT pay for

Hi,

I'm a 64 year old woman diagnosed with IC, by a urologist, for a little over a year. I recently underwent CA surgery and therefore I cannot have systemic estrogen i.e. pills. I can have localized estrogen i.e. creams. My urologist wants me to have that estrogen cream as dryness and irritation occurr without it. In my case most of the pain is in the urethra. Therefore I need topical estrogen to that area as well as the bladder area, accessed vaginally.

I tried topical Premarin cream and it only casues more pain and irritation. It is the ph and/or the preservatives in it. It could be the mineral oil in it because that has stabalizers in it which have also caused me much pain. Therefore, I need to have estrogen in a neutral base without stabalizers/preservatives. This can be done by compounding pharmacies. I have contacted all the compounding pharmacies in Northern CA and none will bill MediCal as they say MediCal will not pay for any compounded prescriptions. When you are low income and have MediCal this is a problem.

Does anyone have an answer? Have we as a group, or anyone as an individual addressed this problem?

Thanks.

Mary

Comment

is MediCal medicare? if so medicare now offers a RX help. you may also be able to get medicaid if you are low income.
        some churches may help you get your medicine also.
        please look threw the link above and if you dont see anything there please pm me i will try to help you more.

http://www.ic-network.com/lowincome/

Rhonda

Comment

I've been getting help from drug assistance programs. I am now getting my Detrol LA and my Bextra and my Zoloft free. I encourage anyone to just ask your doctor about them. If he/she does not know about them, get the info and take it back to the office. They should be happy to sign the necessary papers for you. Michelle.

Comment

Very good advice Michelle thank you for shareing this with us.
            sending you hugs and prayers
            Rhonda

Comment

Mary - Have you talked to MediCal about this or has your doctor spoken to them? Maybe they would make an exception if they understood the reason you need to have the compounded cream????? That the typical cream (non-compounded version) is a medical problem for you?
              Kim

Diagnosed August 2001

Current IC meds: Elmiron (since 2001), Levaquin (one pill after intercourse to prevent UTIs), Effexor (for depression & anxiety)

Past IC meds: Amitriptyline (Elavil), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril), Detrol LA, Lexapro (for depression & anxiety, but also helped my IC) (They all helped, but I was able to discontinue them.)

I've been virtually symptom free and able to eat & drink whatever I'd like for about 8 years now.

“We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.” ~ Viktor Frankl

“You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you.” ~ Brian Tracy

Comment

link....

http://www.rxassist.org/pdfs/state_programs.pdf

go to the bottom of the page...

Comment

one more....

http://www.ichelp.com/cafeica/Vol04No09.html#1.2

go to the bottom of the page.

Comment

Thanks for reminding us of this information Jill. I am fortunate enough to have prescription insurance and it's getting to the point that I still can not afford my medications. As I am on more and more of them, even with the copay - it's a lot of money. I feel for all of you who are unable to get meds because of lack of coverage. It's a very difficult thing to deal with.
                    Hopefully the websites listed will be of assistance for all of you.

Hugs~
                    Jennifer
                    I speak of my personal experience only to provide support to others who have IC. I am not offering professional advice in any way. All patients are different and may respond differently to various remedies and medical treatments. These posts are based on my personal experience and are not meant to be viewed as medical advice nor do they replace the proper evaluation and treatment by a medical professional or healthcare provider. Please seek out treatment and medical advice from your doctor and medical team.

Comment

Thanks for sharing this information.

Comment

I work in the medical field and am in charge of trying to get medicine for patients who don't have the money to pay for it. Usually how I go about it is going to a web site.
                        http://needymeds.com/
                        It has lots of info. about drugs that you can get directly from the manufacture for free. Usually patients have to meet a certain monitary criteria to be able to recive this kind of assistance. And usually it is the doctors office that has to call the company to start the application process. If you can't find the medicine under the Brand name sometimes you can find it under a genaric name. Also some doctors offices are more willing to try to find this kind of help then others. If you are unable to get assistance anywhere else, you might try bringing it up with your doctor.
                        redmowii
                        Redmowii

Comment

Yes i agree that needmeds is a great site and is very helpful.
                          Thanks for your input it always helps.
                          Since you work with this and if you have any other ideas on how to help people get there meds for half off or free PLEASE POST IT.
                          Thanks a million
                          Rhonda

Comment

Hi Jill,
                            Just wanted to say thank you for putting all this info in one simple location! My local doctor was telling me how sad he was for so many of his patients unable to afford the IC meds & I'm thrilled to be able to give him something that may help!
                            Kadi
                            Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
                            I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                            ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
                            Source - Pinterest
                            "

Current treatments:
                            -IC diet
                            -Elavil 50mg at night
                            -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
                            -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
                            -Pyridium if needed,
                            -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
                            -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
                            -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
                            -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
                            -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
                            -Managing stress= VERY important!
                            -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

Insurance coverage

I thought of another way to get cheaper medicines. Some insurance plans have one pharmacy they contract with. Usually mail order. They require 90 days supply with 3 refills. You can get 3 months worth for one copay. I would call the number on your insurance card and see if they have any programs like this. Sometimes doctors office's know which pharmacy to go through to make meds cheaper for your specific insurance, but don't count on it. I work in one office and we accept probably on the higher side of 300 different plans.
                              If your insurance doesn't have a mail order pharmacy you can try shopping around. Most pharmacy's each charge a different amount for a specific drug, you can call all of your local pharmacy's and ask how much a perscription would cost. Some pharmacy's also match prices, and some pharmacy's have programs to help people with special monitary needs.
                              I know sometimes people mail order to Canada for perscriptions, because they are cheaper there. Some doctors are against this though. Canada has a system a lot like the FDA to control what is actually in the medicine, they also do testing like the USA. I know people order to Mexico, but I would not recommend that at all. Mexico doesn't have any system like the FDA to make sure medicines are all the same. You can never be sure what you are getting is what you ordered. If I find any other methods I'll let you all know.
                              Redmowii
                              Last edited by redmowii; 02-12-2005, 12:06 PM.
                              Redmowii

Comment

Working...
                              X