Need birth control & money's tight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need birth control & money's tight?

At the recommendation of another IC patient, I recently went to Planned Parenthood. My husband & I haven't had health insurance in probably 2 years maybe longer. I take Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo & in January 2007 they went up to $53 @ Wal Mart, it adds up quickly!!

I needed to wait until we got our Income Taxes back in order to do this. I was able to get a Consultation (I couldn't afford an exam) for $25. I only paid $20 per pack of pills! I was also able to get a year's supply as well. I saved over $400 by doing this, hooray!

I am sharing this with you in hopes that it will help others

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]
    Jen
    Medically diagnosed Post Menopause 9-13, unsure for how long! Have: IC, IBS-C, arthritis, carpal tunnel, hypoglycemia, RLS, seasonal sinusitis, depression, anxiety, infertility, hormone imbalance.

Please read Screaming to be heard by Dr. Elizabeth Vliet. I do deep cleansing breathing & relaxation morning & night along with doing Yoga everynight now, it's been a huge blessing for my body! Born & raised in Michigan, relocated to Oklahoma in 9/09. Please Don't stop anti depressants or mood stabilizers "cold turkey"!

http://www.icawareness.com/stories.html

Jen Meier Cascaddan on Facebook

Married for 21 years, have 2 cats that are my "boys"

Thank you for sharing.

Donna
    Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
    Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Doesn't Planned Parenthood give out free pills anymore? I'm glad you were able to get them less expensively though.
      http://www.TheCraftyEwe.etsy.com

Comment

I also heard the IUD is very cheap in the long run. Like it works out to 2$ a month if you keep it for 10 yrs. Just a suggestion.

Erika
        IC diagnosed officially via cysto/urodynamics 1/26/07

Grade II Endometriosis diagnosed via lap 12/11/07

"Fall down seven times, Stand up eight."

"Life is a tragedy for those who feel and a comedy for those who think."

Current Treatments:
        Interstim Since 5/25/07!
        Birth Control

Comment

I was able to get my IUD for free through a free health clinic. I do know that you have to have had at least one child though to have one inserted. I also believe that for me the IUD brought on my IC symptoms. But this may not always be the case. And it was easially removed with very little hassle or pain (also for free). My IC symptoms did go away for awhile. I was able to get the Depo Provera shot for free after that untill we had insurance and I switched Gyn's.
          Rachel
          DX's:
          IC; PFD; possible Fibromyalgia; IBS;

Symptoms: Frequency, Urgency, pelvic and bladder pain, bladder and pelvic spasms, difficulty starting urination, weak stream, incontinence, vaginal and urethral pain

I've Tried:
          three Hydrodistentions, various Rescue Installments; 6 DSMO treatments; Pyridium Plus; Proced; Detrol (patch); Elavil; Uricet K; Elmiron; Nortiptyline; Ultram; Allegra; Ditropan; Ditropan ER; Vesicare; regular Lidocain; Neurontin; Lyrica; and few more I can't remember!
          Currently using:
          Valium; Vicadin; Proced DS; Claritin; Buffered Lidocain; Cymbalta; Baclofen; Prazosin @ night (also on Prednisone and Adderall for my joint pain and severe fatigue)
          Heating pads; frozen water bottles; A&D ointment; Poise pads; IC dieter since 8/06; yoga; imagery & relaxation CD, Mindfullness, self healing CD's; hot baths; seat cushion; prayer
          I am 28 yrs old, dx'ed in '06, still trying to get my health undercontrol!!

Comment

I had to stop taking the pill due to chronic yeast infections. I switched to condoms and have found that they actually wind up costing me less in a year than my co-pay for the pill! With the pill you have to pay for it and take it every day. With condoms you only need to use them when you need them. Unfortunately for some of us with IC, they're not always needed that often .

Comment

Originally posted by Moonheart View Post
              Doesn't Planned Parenthood give out free pills anymore? I'm glad you were able to get them less expensively though.
              The last time I went to Planned Parenthood, many moons ago, before I had insurance, but was working, the prices I paid had gone up, based on what I reported my income to be at the time. They did charge me for the exam, PAP, and the birth control pills..and it cost me a lot more than when I was in college and not making much (or any) money (I think I paid back then something like $10 for the exam and pills and condoms were free. From what I remember, how much you were charged and if you got free pills depended on what you reported your income to be. But still definitely less expensive than a regular gyn and no prescription plan! So Planned Parenthood is a very good option if money is tight. I remember it to be a good experience, other than the long wait, good concerned nurses and no one making you feel bad if you didn't have enough money to pay full price. Too bad they don't treat IC!

I just read in the news on Friday that price of birth control pills had gone up dramatically this year, and that it is placing a hugh burden on college students who don't have insurance/Rx plans. so I hope these students are aware of and have access to places like Planned Parenthood.

Comment

Originally posted by shell View Post
                I. With condoms you only need to use them when you need them. Unfortunately for some of us with IC, they're not always needed that often .
                I know! I always have to check the expiration date to make sure they're still good!

Comment

I wasn't aware that they ever had free bc pills however until the last few years we've been fortunate enough to have health insurance that covered everything so I just went to the OB/GYN & the pharmacy to get the pills. Yep my pills went up 1/07 & I about choked when the cashier said nearly
                  $53/pack! It was @ that point that I realized I needed to FIND the $ to go to Planned Parenthood & get my pills there. I've been out of work since August, & in Michigan the job market is brutal, little $ coming from unemployment it makes things very difficult.

I wouldn't recommend that anyone use Planned Parenthood in substitute for a Family doc or OB/GYN , I feel it's important to have a physician & build that relationship with them. However like in my case I did what I need to do what was best for our finances. It's everyone's decision to do what is best for them, I will always believe & support that. I highly recommend each person researching EVERYTHING!!! Doctors only have so much time & can't devote all that to research of their own.
                  [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]
                  Jen
                  Medically diagnosed Post Menopause 9-13, unsure for how long! Have: IC, IBS-C, arthritis, carpal tunnel, hypoglycemia, RLS, seasonal sinusitis, depression, anxiety, infertility, hormone imbalance.

Please read Screaming to be heard by Dr. Elizabeth Vliet. I do deep cleansing breathing & relaxation morning & night along with doing Yoga everynight now, it's been a huge blessing for my body! Born & raised in Michigan, relocated to Oklahoma in 9/09. Please Don't stop anti depressants or mood stabilizers "cold turkey"!

Comment

Clinics offered through county health depts. are another option for receiving gyn services, bc pills, and other preventative medical services. My children and I went to one for about 12 years and never paid more than $5 for any service. The staff pretty much stayed the same the entire time I went there so I built a terrific relationship with them. I received better care there than most private practices I've been to. You may not need to be indigent or very low income as I still qualified when I first started working as an LPN. For those with no insurance or poor insurance and financial problems this is an option that may be worth a little time to check out in your area.

Comment

Clinics offered through county health depts. are another option for receiving ob & gyn care, bc pills, and some other medical services. My children and I went to one for about 12 years and never paid more than $5 for any service. The staff pretty much stayed the same the entire time I went there so I built a terrific relationship with them. I received better care there than most private practices I've been to. You may not need to be indigent or very low income as I still qualified when I first started working as an LPN and my income doubled. For those with no insurance or poor insurance and financial problems this is an option that may be worth a little time to check out in your area.

Comment

I am glad to see some good feedback on clinics, it's something I'll be considering that is for sure Thanks!!
                        [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]
                        Jen

Comment

Originally posted by RAS6 View Post
                          I was able to get my IUD for free through a free health clinic. I do know that you have to have had at least one child though to have one inserted. I also believe that for me the IUD brought on my IC symptoms. But this may not always be the case. And it was easially removed with very little hassle or pain (also for free). My IC symptoms did go away for awhile. I was able to get the Depo Provera shot for free after that untill we had insurance and I switched Gyn's.
                          Having a child is not a requirement, although it does make insertion easier. I have an IUD and have never given birth.
                          32 years old

former Med/Surg RN

endometriosis x 13 years (with attempted/ failed complete removal in June 2008), IC diagnosed with cysto/hydrodistention April 2007, second cysto/hydro in June 2008

Comment

Working...
                          X