Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to get assistance for lab bill

Attention all of you living in south Orange County CA

There is a hospital whose financial services department has the compassion of an alligator. S hospital offered me a "deal" on my $910.00 lab work for the viral panel which I had the impression----I don't know if I'm 100% correct here ---- but anyway, I had the impression that it was required by the psychiatrist I am seeing in order to get the RX for Dex.

The hospital is located in an area where there are tons of seniors. S hospital told me "well you were barely over our income guidelines." ME "By how much" FinServ rude woman DK "I'm not allowed to tell you." ME "Did you not READ all the 157 pages of documentation which fully disclosed what my health care costs are and consider that?" DK "Yes I did."

ME"Is there an appeal process?" DK"No there is not."

Few more angry exchanges...she hung up! So I call Patient Liason person, Star, who really did her best. and was very nice at first....but....she called today and was a little tough - to say that "You could pay the $910.00 off on a 12 mo. plan." ME "You don't understand! I've done the math! That isn't possible either. I do have a very small amount in my savings account, but I will not pay with that. What if I need that to meet my deductible if I have to be hospitalized? I don't have that kind of money in the budget, and I will not stop purchasing the RX meds I need, curtail Dr.s visits or neglect my health." Star" Well we could offer you a 30% discount which would bring your bill down to $610.00, but you have to pay it all at once."

ME " I don't have $600 dollars to give you! Your CFO doesn't seem to understand YOU CANNOT GET BLOOD FROM A TURNIP! I don't have it. You either give me 12 mo. to pay $610.00 or I send you $5 a month. That's it. You go back to the CFO or whomever and tell them that is the only option that is feasible to me. I will be calling the LA Times reporter who's been wanting to do a story on me since Aug. 7, 2007 when she returns to her post on 10.01.08. I had skin cancer surgery on my lower eyelid 2 years ago and I'm paying that doctor $25 a month. I never even receive so much as a phone call or statement. When I told the business manager about my situation, I only had to write a one page letter explaining my situation. I wasn't even required to provide documentation! Banks have more compassion that your CFO! I've had 2 give me 0% APRs b/c I wrote them about my situation and they didn't get documentation or ask for it either!"

Hospitals are brutal when it comes to going after patients for money they are owed. It's not that I won't pay my bill; it's that I need consideration in ORDER to PAY my BILL! ACCCCCCK! A pharmacy tech at my main pharmacy had a baby. Made arrangements with the hospital financial dept. (this one is a different one in north OC) to pay $200/mo. for her bill. Still, she received computer generated letters monthly with the pay now stamped on it. Every month she calls the hospital to remind them of her agreement and they say they can't stop the letters!"

Anyone who would like to PM me, please feel free. I don't want any of you to go through this! You would think that there would be a more affordable plan offered if someone furnished 157 pages of documentation which included a letter explaining how the cost of Elmiron rose 1000%, it's the only oral medicaiton for IC, and all of the rest of the medical debt which arose from that......there would be some exception made and the payments stretched over a longer period of time, whatever....my friend works there and she told me they were awful.....I didn't believe her....now I do.... so everyone...please watch out!

I wish I had some advice for you, but like you said, they can't get blood out of a turnip.

I hope you get some answers!

Hugs and prayers, Tracey

Comment

Originally posted by j56 View Post
      Attention all of you living in south Orange County CA

There is a hospital whose financial services department has the compassion of an alligator. S hospital offered me a "deal" on my $910.00 lab work for the viral panel which I had the impression----I don't know if I'm 100% correct here ---- but anyway, I had the impression that it was required by the psychiatrist I am seeing in order to get the RX for Dex.

The hospital is located in an area where there are tons of seniors. S hospital told me "well you were barely over our income guidelines." ME "By how much" FinServ rude woman DK "I'm not allowed to tell you." ME "Did you not READ all the 157 pages of documentation which fully disclosed what my health care costs are and consider that?" DK "Yes I did."

ME"Is there an appeal process?" DK"No there is not."

Few more angry exchanges...she hung up! So I call Patient Liason person, Star, who really did her best. and was very nice at first....but....she called today and was a little tough - to say that "You could pay the $910.00 off on a 12 mo. plan." ME "You don't understand! I've done the math! That isn't possible either. I do have a very small amount in my savings account, but I will not pay with that. What if I need that to meet my deductible if I have to be hospitalized? I don't have that kind of money in the budget, and I will not stop purchasing the RX meds I need, curtail Dr.s visits or neglect my health." Star" Well we could offer you a 30% discount which would bring your bill down to $610.00, but you have to pay it all at once."

ME " I don't have $600 dollars to give you! Your CFO doesn't seem to understand YOU CANNOT GET BLOOD FROM A TURNIP! I don't have it. You either give me 12 mo. to pay $610.00 or I send you $5 a month. That's it. You go back to the CFO or whomever and tell them that is the only option that is feasible to me. I will be calling the LA Times reporter who's been wanting to do a story on me since Aug. 7, 2007 when she returns to her post on 10.01.08. I had skin cancer surgery on my lower eyelid 2 years ago and I'm paying that doctor $25 a month. I never even receive so much as a phone call or statement. When I told the business manager about my situation, I only had to write a one page letter explaining my situation. I wasn't even required to provide documentation! Banks have more compassion that your CFO! I've had 2 give me 0% APRs b/c I wrote them about my situation and they didn't get documentation or ask for it either!"

Hospitals are brutal when it comes to going after patients for money they are owed. It's not that I won't pay my bill; it's that I need consideration in ORDER to PAY my BILL! ACCCCCCK! A pharmacy tech at my main pharmacy had a baby. Made arrangements with the hospital financial dept. (this one is a different one in north OC) to pay $200/mo. for her bill. Still, she received computer generated letters monthly with the pay now stamped on it. Every month she calls the hospital to remind them of her agreement and they say they can't stop the letters!"

Anyone who would like to PM me, please feel free. I don't want any of you to go through this! You would think that there would be a more affordable plan offered if someone furnished 157 pages of documentation which included a letter explaining how the cost of Elmiron rose 1000%, it's the only oral medicaiton for IC, and all of the rest of the medical debt which arose from that......there would be some exception made and the payments stretched over a longer period of time, whatever....my friend works there and she told me they were awful.....I didn't believe her....now I do.... so everyone...please watch out!
      Yes Janet any ideas or hints on who to look at for supplemental insurance in April when my Medicare comes and Cobra is gone? Vicky

Comment

I would write them a letter telling them exactly how much you can afford to pay each month. And be sure you send them the check on time every month.

Donna
        Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
        Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
        Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
        [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

I would also do what Donna Suggested.... In fact, i just did yesteday- racked up a $600.00 bill for surgery/ER/in-patient for 3 days.... They send me 3 different bills-- I told them that I will pay x amount each month; when one gets paid off then I will apply it to the other bills. They really didn't like it, but they took it anyways, because I told them that its either going to be this way or I can just pay you $1.00 every month on each account till it gets paid for. They told me that the first amount is ok- but if I can't make that amount when its due they will send me to a collection agency.

Comment

Thanks to everyone

I will do as you suggested and write them that I can afford X$ and that is what I will send. It's either they take that, or I send them $5.

What concerns me also is that this particular S hospital is located near a a housing development of sorts, well known to all in the area as an independent senior living "subdivision" - don't know what to else to call it. These folks might not have as much "fire" as some of us do fighting for our care. If they have no support person(s) and they encounter these "alligators" I wonder how they maintaiin their dignity trying to live out the rest of their lives dealing with this, their closest hospital.

California Nurses' Association has asked me to update my information as I will likely be featured as one of the healthcare underinsurance stories soon. I will post the link when it is posted on their website.

Vicky, I'm sorry. I don't have any ideas on what supplemental plan to choose for Medicare. My mother is pleased with her Anthem, plan, while, I on the other hand have had to pursue legal rememedies regarding their treatment of my coverage.

Thanks again everyone.

Comment

October 3, 2008

Janet Account Number: xxxxx

Anaheim, CA

Star

Patient Financial Services
              P.O. Box 2500
              Laguna Hills, CA 92653

Dear Star:

I appreciate your speaking to me regarding my account. However, "M C" Patient Financial Services has failed to completely consider the costs of my medical care in denying financial assistance to me.

I documented completely the fact that I have paid over $42,000.00 in prescription co-pays over the last 10 years via pharmacy statements from XXXXXXPharmacy, CVS xxxxx Pharmacy and xxxxxx Drugs in La Habra. I still owe $3,500.00 to xxxxxxx Pharmacy.

$42,000.00 in prescription co-pays is an astounding amount considering my income, mortgage and 2nd mortgage payments, along with the customary costs of living that are incurred by most.

Yet, your department still failed to consider the 157 pages of this documentation consisting of a letter of explanation and 153 pages of documentation of income, the steady mid-year raises of Anthem rates to $639.00 monthly, the decreases in medication coverage, a document tracking the costs of Elmiron to its present $261.31 monthly co-pay, a document listing my monthly medication co-pays, late utility bills, credit card closures and subsequent 0% APR granted due to my circumstances, along with bank statements clearly verifying my financial difficulties due to debt incurred.

I am not an irresponsible person who simply chooses not to pay financial obligations; rather, I am a disabled individual who has acquired an extreme medical debt due to 8-9 diagnoses and the costs related to managing my health care on a fixed income.

Banks have more compassion regarding these matters – 2 granted me 0% APR after I submitted a 1 page letter explaining my circumstances. Your department was sent a preponderance of evidence of need, but chose to show absolutely no compassion whatsoever toward these difficult circumstances. Daigan K even stated on September 19, 2008, “I remember this application. I read all of it. You were barely over the income guidelines.”

Knowing all this, your department offered me 2 untenable solutions: “You can pay a discounted bill of $630.00 NOW or we can put you on a 12 month plan.” The cost of ONE of my medication co-pays, Nexium is over $76.00 monthly. In order to comply with your “12 month program”, I would have to discontinue taking Nexium.

Therefore, I will not jeopardize my health by discontinuing medications which are prescribed to me, not keeping doctor’s appointments or failing to have laboratory tests drawn per my doctors’ orders.

I will send your department ONLY a monthly payment which I can afford without jeopardizing my health. I’m sorry that you have no real appeal process and that I am forced to say this.

Per California law, I forbid you to call me regarding this bill UNLESS your department reconsiders the “non-offer” you extended to me and presents something reasonable that shows some compassion toward patients like me.

Sincerely,

Janet
              Last edited by justice4j; 10-03-2008, 08:46 AM. Reason: remove numbers and last name

Comment

Parsons appointment re-scheduled...Dex

My appointment with Dr. Parsons was cancelled by his office and re-scheduled for Nov. 24th. I won't get to ask the "no pain meds" question until then.

He might just freak when I tell him about Dextrostat.....well ....it worked....

Comment

good for you janet. Glad it worked. Yes I do think he will have some opinion of dexedrine if he does of narcotics. Vn

Comment

Working...
                  X