Cost of Elmiron?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Wow Yvette!
    That's pretty clever. I totally understand what your'e saying. My doc does that with my bp meds. I take 4 pills per day. Wow, I have a appointment with my Uro coming up and I could ask her to do that for me.

Thanks!
    Aleet
    DX'd with IC 5/08
    other Dx's~SVT: had Catheter
    Catheter Ablation Aug 19,2010
    Migraines, PFD, Hypertension,
    Prolapsed Pelvic
    Organs and Degenerative Disc
    Disease, Kidney stones, Insomnia
    Two bulging discs w/tears and osteo
    arthritis in multiple joints in the spine

Current Meds:Elmiron 400 mg per day
    Benicar Hct 40-25mg for Hypertension
    Norvasc 2.5
    Vicoden as needed for pain
    Cymbalta 30 mg
    Prelief
    CystaQ
    Prosed
    Lidoderm Patch

Psalm 121
    I will lift up my eyes to the hills from whence comes my help? My help comes from the Lord, Who made heaven and earth.

"Be Kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"

Comment

Originally posted by aleet7 View Post
      Oh Wow Yvette!
      That's pretty clever. I totally understand what your'e saying. My doc does that with my bp meds. I take 4 pills per day. Wow, I have a appointment with my Uro coming up and I could ask her to do that for me.

Thanks!
      Aleet
      Sounds to me like this would work out for you! Esp since you have already done that with your bp meds, seems like it should be a very good way to go! Any meds that drs are willing to prescribe this way and if your ins will cover, can save a lot of money, and fewer trips to the pharmacy!! Keep us posted on what uro says/does...considering the cost you are paying for your Elmiron at this point, it would be hard to believe that he would not consider it in your best interest...esp if he wants you to continue taking this med!! Good luck!

Comment

My Primary Care Physician and my Gyno both write prescriptions for double or triple what a month's supply or a 90 day supply is --- but when I asked my Uro about it, he said that he wouldn't be comfortable doing that.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuckersmom View Post
          My Primary Care Physician and my Gyno both write prescriptions for double or triple what a month's supply or a 90 day supply is --- but when I asked my Uro about it, he said that he wouldn't be comfortable doing that.
          I have experiened the same with some of my drs and some of my meds. So you are right, Cathy, it really does depend on the dr, and often WHAT type of med you are being prescribed (for example pain meds, I have never even asked that they be Rxd that way b/c for sure the answer would be NO...and very understandable for a med such as that and most of the controlled meds). But I would not be afraid to ask for Elmiron to be Rxd that way, even if the answer might be no. So as for Elmiron, no hurt in asking...but yes, it does depend on the dr whether they will prescribe ANY med like that. If they will, it is wonderful, if they won't....well, with Elmiron I would say it would just as Cathy said above, and not for any reasons specific to the patient.

Comment

Walmart

I know at walmart/Target Elmiron still costs 300 + . I have no prescription coverage and cant afford to pay out of pocket , I think thats why my ic keeps getting worse ? Im hoping that one they create a generic elmiron so that the people who have ins or script coverage may beable to afford it because its ridiculous !! Who has that kind of money especially now with the way the economy is ? I hope you find some kind of resolution soon !! Take care

Lauren

Comment

Cost Of Elmiron

Originally posted by Tuckersmom View Post

That's what I'm worried about! My Pcp writes my bp meds double the supply but I'm afraid that my uro might object to doing that for the Elmiron! I'm praying that she'll be ok with doubling the script for it.
              DX'd with IC 5/08
              Prolapsed Pelvic

Norvasc 2.5
              Cymbalta 30 mg
              Prelief
              CystaQ
              Prosed
              Lidoderm Patch

Psalm 121
              I will lift up my eyes to the hills from whence comes my help? My help comes from the Lord, Who made heaven and earth.

"Be Kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"

Comment

Originally posted by crkshnks79 View Post
                I know at walmart/Target Elmiron still costs 300 + . I have no prescription coverage and cant afford to pay out of pocket , I think thats why my ic keeps getting worse ? Im hoping that one they create a generic elmiron so that the people who have ins or script coverage may beable to afford it because its ridiculous !! Who has that kind of money especially now with the way the economy is ? I hope you find some kind of resolution soon !! Take care
                I plan to explain to my Uro that I've gotten worse because I couldn't afford to pay full price for the Elmiron. I hope this helps her decide to double my script. I feel so bad for everyone that can't afford to purchase it. My previous uro told me that when I was off it for 2 weeks that I was not improving because I wasn't taking it daily. I agree, I so hope that they make a generic so I can afford it!
                DX'd with IC 5/08
                Prolapsed Pelvic

Norvasc 2.5
                Cymbalta 30 mg
                Prelief
                CystaQ
                Prosed
                Lidoderm Patch

Psalm 121

Comment

Some of my prescriptions are on the $4.00 list at Wal-Mart. (some are doubled that price as I get more than the 30 pills allowed). I also started using the mail order for some of ours as if I get them at walmart they are slightly higher due to be a 'maintenace drug' - and with the mail order its $10.00). There are a few medicines that I take that it really doesn't matter where I get them (store or thru the mail) as the price equals $25.00/month-which includes Elmiron.

Comment

That's what I'm worried about! My Pcp writes my bp meds double the supply but I'm afraid that my uro might object to doing that for the Elmiron! I'm praying that she'll be ok with doubling the script for it.
                    Even if your uro objects to writing scripts for Elmiron this way, do not take it personally, ok? It most likely has nothing to do with you.... just what is within this dr's comfort zone.
                    But I would not be afraid to ask for Elmiron to script be written this way...if it were a pain med or valium or such, yeah, then ANY dr would most likely say no to writing Rxs this way b/c of any possibility of abuse of those kinds of meds by ANY patient, and again not specifically YOU, but just to cover the drs butt if ANY patient were to do such a thing with that kind of med.

But as for Elmiron, I would have NO problems asking and even if the answer is no, not take it personally. So nothing to fear in your particular case with the Elmiron...any dr I highly doubt would think any patient would care or try to abuse Elmiron in any way, (unless a certain patient said they hated their hair and would rather be bald and would like the rare side effect that losing hair that Elmiron may cause...now that would be cause for concern ) even if the dr will not write scripts in that way. Hope I am making sense lol???

Comment

Hey Bri,
                      Lol at the patient hating their hair and wanting to be bald! Since I recently purchased Elmiron I'm seeing hair loss again! I went to Sally's store and purchased hair clips that Kathie Lee Gifford wears to thicken my hair!
                      I won't take it personal if my doc doesn't feel comfortable doubling my script but I would see it hard to not want to help someone who needs a med so badly that their condition gets worse when they can't afford it. I really feel like I get worse when I don't take it daily.
                      DX'd with IC 5/08
                      Prolapsed Pelvic

Norvasc 2.5
                      Cymbalta 30 mg
                      Prelief
                      CystaQ
                      Prosed
                      Lidoderm Patch

Psalm 121

Comment

Hey Bri,
                        Lol at the patient hating their hair and wanting to be bald! Since I recently purchased Elmiron I'm seeing hair loss again! I went to Sally's store and purchased hair clips that Kathie Lee Gifford wears to thicken my hair!
                        I won't take it personal if my doc doesn't feel comfortable doubling my script but I would see it hard to not want to help someone who needs a med so badly that their condition gets worse when they can't afford it. I really feel like I get worse when I don't take it daily.
                        Lol, well you already know that all kinds of crazy things come to my mind for no reason at all (for the record I don't take Elmiron at this time and even tho I don't like my thin exceptionally fine head of hair...I would rather keep the hair that I do have, regardless how much I hate it....so abuse of ELmiron in too high doses in hopes of hair loss and baldness is NOT something that has ever crossed MY mind, tho I can't vouch for others)

Hey...yes I know Sally's but am not familiar with whatever hair clips Kathie uses to make her hair look so full and nice!! If there is a website on these particular clips, please pm it to me....otherwise if posted on the board it will be censored as a sales site.

I do think you have a very good front to present to your uro as to getting Elmiorn Rxd this way so will praying for the best for you that he/she is comfortable prescribing that way.
                        I'm going to send you a pm so check in case you don't get the pop up alert...sometimes I get the pop up alert, sometimes I don't. Seems I am a less likely to get a pop up alert for pms while I am responding to a post or reading or writing a pm.

Comment

I think the doctor's hesitation is probably is that he/she would, in effect, be lying on the script. He/she would have to fudge the instructions for dosage in order to get more covered per day/per month.

I hope your doctor will - I wish mine would. I've never asked, but you better believe I often take only one or two Elmiron pills a day to stretch out my prescription! So ridiculously expensive.
                          Kim

Diagnosed August 2001

Current IC meds: Elmiron (since 2001), Levaquin (one pill after intercourse to prevent UTIs), Effexor (for depression & anxiety)

Past IC meds: Amitriptyline (Elavil), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril), Detrol LA, Lexapro (for depression & anxiety, but also helped my IC) (They all helped, but I was able to discontinue them.)

I've been virtually symptom free and able to eat & drink whatever I'd like for about 8 years now.

“We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.” ~ Viktor Frankl

“You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you.” ~ Brian Tracy

Comment

Originally posted by vm View Post
                            I think the doctor's hesitation is probably is that he/she would, in effect, be lying on the script. He/she would have to fudge the instructions for dosage in order to get more covered per day/per month.

I hope your doctor will - I wish mine would. I've never asked, but you better believe I often take only one or two Elmiron pills a day to stretch out my prescription! So ridiculously expensive.
                            Yes, fudging is a very good way of putting it. And tho, yes, I have had a few of my rxs written this way when I had health insurance, it was rare that I needed it to be done as such or ask for it, since I think just one of my Rxs is not generic and when I had that great Rx plan all of my generics were $0. I also had very good mail order Rx plan for properly prescribed 3 month Rxs of Elmiron.

So while we are on the topic of fudging, and I am in no way trying to start a debate or argument of any sort, just commenting, no response necessary...that when we complain of high insurance premiums and any out of cost expenses and high deductibles, high or even low dollar Rxs when written like this (fudging) to get the most for your money IF you have insurance, someone is paying for it, meaning the insurance company...and then there is the domino effect on premiums, employee contributions to their premiums, deductibles, and then on to the out of pocket expenses for both those who have insurance or not.

Not complaining, just explaining it as I see it, having had good insurance myself w/ great Rx coverage thru my past employers, with some reasonably small employee contribution on my part, and now being uninsured.
                            I am very thankful that all but one of my meds is generic and half of my fall under Walmart's $4 plan and believe me at this time without health insurance I am being extremely careful when and how I get my meds prescribed to make it the most affordable for me without ins, much moreso than I was concerned about when I DID have insurance.

Not pointing fingers at ANYONE, mind you, because I have been on both sides of the fence, and even now being without the pretty darn good ins I have had for the past 15 yrs, I do have MUCH to say about insurance companies and the US healthcare system! But that is all I will say about that!

Comment

I was lucky, I didn't have to ask. My uro at the time offered to write it that way--she knew I wasn't really making good money and even with my insurance it was a *third-tier* drug (aka expensive). And after that I learned, why not ask? I explain that it's to help keep cost down. $45/month plus all the other meds...plus bills, rent, car payment, insurance, etc. etc. It was just cost-prohibitive.

I also ask for samples when they first put me on a new med, sometimes they'll suggest a new enough drug and they have samples in the office...why not? What if I don't react well to it and to have spent good money for a script that will end up in the trash....ugh. Years ago, I got 12 packs of BCP for free that way (they knew I just got laid off and took pity on my poor soul)

The worst the doctor could say is *no* when I ask. And I'm fine with that.

Looking into mail order is a great idea too...my BCP was $41/month (or $41 per pack) a the pharmacy...I have my Rx written to take it continuously (to stop my period altogether) and thru mail order $45 gets me 4-packs instead of just one. fantastic!
                              Somewhere there's a reason /Why things go like they do /Somewhere there's a reason /Why some things just fall through /We don't always see them /For what they really are /But I know there's a reason /Just can't see it from this far /Maybe I don't like it, /But I have no choice /I know that somewhere, /Someone hears my voice / I thought I knew it all /I thought I had it made /How could it end this way? /I thought I knew Somewhere there's a reason /Why things don't go my way /Somewhere there's a reason /That I cannot explain /Just like the change of season, /Just may not be my turn /But I know there's a reason, /The lesson's mine to learn

Comment

Yvette,
                                I know exactly what you're saying, my PCP always wrote my script double the strength so that I could cut it in half to save money without me asking. Many times my other docs won't offer this because they know my husband's profession and think I can afford it. The Uro I have right now is fairly new to me so I don't know how she'll react to me asking although I do know that she is sympathetic because I told her that intercourse was causing me lots of pain and she RX'd me a pain med just to have sex! I believe that she won't turn me down but if she does then I will go to my PCP with the same thing.
                                I'm finding now that my pharmacist are discussing how much my meds cost because they've notified each other to tell me the price before I pay for them(one pharmacist told me this). I eventually told her that it doesn't matter the cost, I "have to have" this med! Several of my meds cost over $100 per month with Elmiron being the highest at $346! My migraine meds cost $96 for 6 tablets!!!

Aleet7
                                DX'd with IC 5/08
                                Prolapsed Pelvic

Norvasc 2.5
                                Cymbalta 30 mg
                                Prelief
                                CystaQ
                                Prosed
                                Lidoderm Patch

Psalm 121

Comment

Working...
                                X