Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• snowgirl
    replied
    everytime I see sleep md he tells me of a new ambien story - some are unsafe. My therapist just told me he had another pt of his get into trouble with ambien- he blackouts bad.
    google ambien law suits and read patient experiences sleep walking ,emailing very common.
    we atleast did not try to drive like some people have and crashed.
    your md is covering her license here and your safety as her patient. I understand my sleep md not giving me ambien either but truly is the only sleep aid that works for me and is generic
    I have new family md he said what about ambien I had to telll him no cant have it and why. I dont md shop either. I could have not told new md and taken the ambien from him as no notes of it in my file??? but not my style and I want to keep my mds not get kicked out.

Leave a comment:

• snowgirl
    replied
    I took ambien every night routinely for 3yrs it is what kept me working full time. I then went cold turkey off of it . I had no idea I would go through major w/d even my mds knew.
    my insomnia also due to IC but now menopause as well
    Lunesta only gives me about 3 hrs of sleep and takes effect 2 hrs later
    whereas ambien works right away and all night.
    I did same thing ambien with vicodin and I was up emailing people, on computer buying things therefore NONE of my mds including sleep md will give me ambien again
    Lunesta I do better sleeping without it. Lunesta does have a program where you can get lunesta for 50 dollar copay. still expensive but better then 100 dollars. google lunesta drug assistance you will find it there
    nightime has always been my worst time of all I get up average 3-5 times a night
    getting up 1-2 times a night would be a luxury.
    I would like just one good week of sleep with ambien but NOt going to happen.
    Only time I get decent sleep is when I am under anesthesis sad but true
    vicky

Leave a comment:

• aleet7
    replied
    Hi Snowgirl,
    I totally agree about the Lunesta and Ambien. I absolutely cannot afford the $100 copay for Lunesta and I wake up all through the night on Lunesta. My husband ruined my chances of getting Ambien from my pcp. He told her that the Ambien made me sleep walk so she refused to write me a prescription for it. I was just in the hospital for 4 days and they didn't carry Lunesta(they gave me Ambien and I slept through the night)!
    I prefer Ambien to Lunesta but I don't have a prescription for it. I feel like my insomnia is from the IC and menopause.
    Thank you so much for sharing!

Aleet7

Leave a comment:

• renee40
    replied
    I was prescribed Zolpidem (generic for Ambien) for 1 month and yes it worked great for me. I was able to sleep at least 5-6 hours per night which is very unusual. I still had to get up to go to the bathroom but went right back to sleep.

Leave a comment:

• snowgirl
    replied
    aleet
    if you are still working i would take a sleeping pill. ambien allowed me to work fulltimefor many years. i get up to pee every 1.5 hrs. on ambien i would get up urinate and go right back to sleep.
    ambien for me much stronger and deeper longer sleep then lunesta
    just tried lunesta way too expensive copay almost one hundred dollars a month
    i found with lunesta i slept three hours then was awake.
    i tell my pain md medicate my pan at night and i wont get up as much to pee
    pain md tells me i am not giving you pain med to sleep.
    pain md does not know ic or get it

truly if i was still working i would be still taking sleeping pills.
    i certaintly understand sleep deprivation due to IC
    Now insomnia i feel related going into menopause.

Leave a comment:

• aleet7
    replied
    Hi Snowgirl! Today I don't have a headache(yay) but I'm very tired. I recently had a cat scan of my brain to make sure that my headaches were'nt from an aneurism or tumor(like you said just a side effect of the Lunesta).

Unlike your dad, my mom takes whatever they prescribe for her insomnia. She has been on Ambien for so many years! I'm sure by now that she can't sleep without them. I really don't want to rely on a med to sleep but what else can we do? I've tried Valerian root, chamomile tea, Melatonin, exercise, walking, warm baths, warm milk etc.... no sleep!
    My bladder keeps me awake sometimes because it aches at night. Sometimes I take pyridium and use my heating pad and that helps. I think I only pee once or twice now a night. I think I'm going to start back doing yoga to see if this helps(lower back pain has interfered with my exercising).
    I really hope that you can find something that helps you sleep. I'm 100 percent sure that perimenopause is my problem(coupled with bladder issues). I'm not sure what can help get my sleep back but I won't give up trying to find something that helps.

Aleet7

Leave a comment:

• snowgirl
    replied
    sorry to post back to back but i went back and read your post. insomnia for me started age 48 and have friend same ago having insomnia. i read it is part of menopause. also your mother 65 and having insomnia i think common as we age as well. my father is in his 70s and he is up wee hours of morning cant sleep and watching tv night after ngiht. he does not like meds and wont take them or anything for sleep.

Leave a comment:

• snowgirl
    replied
    i hear u on sleep issues. pretty much whole 24 yrs i have had ic i have always suffered sleep deprivation. nightime is my worst time and with such small bladder capacity i never sleep more then 1.5 hours max at time
    ambien i took for 3yrs it kept me working fulltime - i would get up pee go back to bed and go right back to sleep
    for me blackouts and amnesia with ambien did not come till last year i was on it and when i was taking 2 vicodin with it
    i also tried asked for ambien just 7 days worth and my sister and i live together no pa said right away - like u i must and do respect their decision that would make sleep md liable for me when he knew i has ambien issues if then he script it for me
    did u tell me your headaches are new ? I read on lunesta info that headache is one biggest more common side efffect- hope it gets better for you.

vicky
    Last edited by snowgirl; 05-18-2010, 10:23 AM. Reason: added for me insomnia came age 48 i think it is part of peri or menopause for me

Leave a comment:

• aleet7
    replied
    I'm just hoping that one day the sleep issues will go away. My mom said that her insomnia began in her 40's. She is 65 still dealing with insomnia! As another poster mentioned, sleep is important for healing. We definitely need sleep to get better. Today I am so tired and I have a lingering headache. I too will not doctor shop. I was hoping that my doc would at least let me take Ambien in a smaller dose but she said no. I have to respect her decision.

Good Luck!
    Aleet7

Leave a comment:

• snowgirl
    replied
    me either i mentioned i had blackouts, amnesia some loss of time no way will they give me ambien again - hey i was honest with them. lunesta not as good for sleep as ambien but safer i can see that. i can take lunesta 2 hours later still awake. i get 3 hrs sleep on it. i did have little headache. now i went other night no lunesta next day so fatigued. i have 30 lunesta so now i will stop taking them . I do not want to take lunesta for 30 days then run out and go through w/d. I cant afford lunesta on SS even if i was working .

sleep contract is to legally cover md especially with pts like you and i we say sleep walking amnesai with ambien so we notify mds of it and legally he covers himself by having me sign contract so if i get ambien elsewhere he is not responsible. i would not doctor shop not the type but some patients do.
    vicky

Leave a comment:

• aleet7
    replied
    I've been on Lunesta for about 3 weeks now and I still wake up through the night! My pcp will not give me a script for Ambien because I sleep walked twice while on it. I'm still taking the Lunesta because I'm desperate for sleep at this point(having headaches and fatigue)!

I now understand why a sleep contract would be necessary. I just want to get a full nights rest. I guess I'm continuing the med hoping that I'll start sleeping better although I cannot afford it. The savings will only bring my copay down to $100(sighing)!

Aleet7

Leave a comment:

• snowgirl
    replied
    Originally posted by nottoc4 View Post
    I have never signed a sleeping pill contract and have never heard of it before.
    I take Ambien and have been on it through 3 different Drs.that prescribe it for me.
    that is what you sign only sleep md can give me sleeping pills no other md
    i am alright with that. works out lunesta does not work so contract null and void i am on no sleeping aids now.

Leave a comment:

• snowgirl
    replied
    Originally posted by aleet7 View Post
    I also never heard of a sleeping pill contract(maybe when you go to a sleep md). I was recently prescribed Lunesta. I couldn't believe how expensive it was. I did find out that they have coupons on their site to help with the expenses. I paid $150 for my prescription! I now have the savings coupon to help with my refill.

Best Wishes,
    Aleet7
    curioua how did lunesta work for you? i have taken it 4 nights. i can take it and still be awake 3 hours later . yes thank i went to web site and my insurance does not quallify for that rebate or my copay would be 45 amonth. i did pass it on to gf who has no insurance at all so she will get help to get lunesta. lunesta not generic till 2012. yes i totally agree sleep pill contract because he is sleep md u can imagine how many pts he sees and are on sleeeping pills- i think it is also a legal thing for him medically as md . there are few pts who take advantage of mds with sleeping pills etc that make it that way to have sleeping contract. i took it personally i am good pt. it says the things i already do 30 pills for 30 days. no early refills, no sharing pills, only use on drug store, take as prescribed, sleep md only md to give u any kind of sleep med.............. see things a good patient already is doing without contract.

Leave a comment:

• snowgirl
    replied
    oh i know i was taken back quite a bit about sleeping pill contract. i had taken ambien 3plus years but that was from my family md.
    this is lunesta but md is sleep md- his rn said yes they get sleep pill contracts- legally it covers md. made me feel bad i told her I am not a patient who scams, doctor shops, i would do nothing of that. i took it real personal. it is so one md prescribes sleeping pill sleep md no other md. contact is everything good patient is already doiing. still i was not sure of word. does not matter now anyways i can have ambien. i tried lunesta it only gives me 3 hrs of sleep. i can take lunesta two hrs later i am still awake. plus lunesta is 95 dollars month copay so going to try this without sleeping pills or if they come up with something else
    still think contract is because he deals with so many patients on sleep meds his speciality.

Leave a comment:

• aleet7
    replied
    I also never heard of a sleeping pill contract(maybe when you go to a sleep md). I was recently prescribed Lunesta. I couldn't believe how expensive it was. I did find out that they have coupons on their site to help with the expenses. I paid $150 for my prescription! I now have the savings coupon to help with my refill.

Best Wishes,
    Aleet7

Leave a comment:

Working...
X