Favorite Recovery Passages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Recovery Passages

I thought it might be neat to put up little quotes or passages that have been helpful to you in recovery from substance abuse. I'll start with the famous "acceptance" passage:

And acceptance is the answer to all my problems today. When I am disturbed, it is because I find some person, place, thing, or situation - some fact of my life - unacceptable to me, and I can find no serenity until I accept that person, place, thing, or situation as being exactly the way it is supposed to be at this moment. Nothing, absolutely nothing, happens in God's world by mistake. Until I could accept my alcoholism, I could not stay sober; unless I accept life completely on life's terms, I cannot be happy. I need to concentrate not so much on what needs to be changed in the world as on what needs to be changed in me and my attitudes.

Shakespeare said, "All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players." He forgot to mention that I was the chief critic. I was always able to see the flaw in every person, every situation. And I was always glad to point it out, because I knew you wanted perfection, just as I did. AA and acceptance have taught me that there is a bit of good in the worst of us and a bit of bad in the best of us; that we are all children of God and we each have a right to be here. When I complain about me or about you, I am complaining about God's handiwork. I am saying that I know better than God.

Perhaps the best thing of all for me is to remember that my serenity is inversely proportional to my expectations. The higher my expectations of Max and other people are, the lower is my serenity. I can watch my serenity level rise when I discard my "rights", as well as my expectations, by asking myself, How important is it really? How important is it compared to my serenity, my emoitonal sobriety? And when I place more value on my serenity and sobriety than on anything else, I can maintain them at a higher level - at least for the time being.

Acceptance is the key to my relationship with God today. I never just sit and do nothing while waiting for him to tell me what to do. Rather, I do whatever is in front of me to be done, and I leave the results up to Him; however it turns out, that's God's will for me.

I must keep my magic magnifying mind on my acceptance and off my expectations, for my serenity is directly proportional to my level of acceptance. When I remember this, I can see I've never had it so good. Thank God for AA!
    Kim

Diagnosed August 2001

Current IC meds: Elmiron (since 2001), Levaquin (one pill after intercourse to prevent UTIs), Effexor (for depression & anxiety)

Past IC meds: Amitriptyline (Elavil), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril), Detrol LA, Lexapro (for depression & anxiety, but also helped my IC) (They all helped, but I was able to discontinue them.)

I've been virtually symptom free and able to eat & drink whatever I'd like for about 8 years now.

“We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.” ~ Viktor Frankl

“You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you.” ~ Brian Tracy

Thankyou Kim for sharing that. I needed to hear that today. Acceptance is hard but I am learningit. What a great idea also. You have helped me so much. Thankyou. Gentle hugs to you.
    Hang in there , There is hope.
    There is hope. Prayer works.

Love, Debbie

Comment

Thanks that was neat I really need it after my work today.
      Hugs and lets keep working together.
      Katherine
      Life is what you Make It .By being kind to every one and all creatures your life will be more pleasant. Live your life for GOD and if it were the last day you were alive becausse it maybe.

Comment

Hello, I am your Disease

I hate meetings...I hate Higher Powers...I hate anyone who has a program. To all who come in contact with me, I wish you death and I wish you suffering.

Allow me to introduce myself, I am the disease of addiction. I am cunning, baffling, and powerful. That's me. I have killed millions and I am pleased.

I love to catch you with the element of suprise.

I love pretending I am your friend and lover. I have given you comfort, haven't I? Wasn't I there when you were lonely? When you wanted to die, didn't you call on me? I was there, I love to make you hurt. I love to make you cry. Better yet, I love to make you so numb you can neither hurt nor cry. When you can't feel anything at all - this is true gratification. And all that I ask from you is long term suffering. I've been there for you always.

When things were going right in your life, you invited me. You said you didn't deserve these good things, and I was the only one who would agree with you. Together we were able to destroy all the good things in your life.

People don't take me seriously. They take strokes seriously, heart attacks, even diabetes, they take seriously. Fools. Without my help these things would not be possible. I am such a hated disease, and yet I do not come uninvited. You choose to have me. So many have chosen me over reality and peace.

More than you hate me, I hate all of you who have a 12 step program. Your program, your meeting, your Higher Power. All of these things weaken me, and I can't function in the manner I am accustomed to. Now I must lie here quietly. You don't see me but I am growing bigger than ever. When you only exist, I may live. When you live I may only exist. But I am here...

And until we meet again, if we meet again, I wish you death and suffering.
        Kim

Diagnosed August 2001

Current IC meds: Elmiron (since 2001), Levaquin (one pill after intercourse to prevent UTIs), Effexor (for depression & anxiety)

Past IC meds: Amitriptyline (Elavil), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril), Detrol LA, Lexapro (for depression & anxiety, but also helped my IC) (They all helped, but I was able to discontinue them.)

I've been virtually symptom free and able to eat & drink whatever I'd like for about 8 years now.

“We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.” ~ Viktor Frankl

“You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you.” ~ Brian Tracy

Comment

WOW Kin! That was great! Do you have "the girl in the glass". I just love that one and for YEARS I had it taped to my mirror so that while I was getting ready for work I was forced to read it. I worked in a wet place so it was very important for me to read it.

For me, working in a wet place was the best thing I could have done after about 9 months of sobriety and the girls I worked with were so fantastic to me.

Watching the people who had been my friends change before my eyes made a huge inpact on me and made me more determined to beat it The night a customer laid out a line of cocaine for me was the last week I worked nights tho.....I had the strength to make it thru the booze but that line infront of me was just way too dangerous so I had to change my schedule. (which was realy cool cuz instead of dealing with people who ere drinking, I was working with people who needed a drink)

It's one NASTY disease!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          teri
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow".

Comment

No, I don't think I've read it, but I am goinbg to search for it on google.

And, yes, it's a nasty one, isn't it? Thank God there is a solution, huh?
            Kim

Diagnosed August 2001

Comment

Got IT
              When you get what you want in your struggle for self
              And the world makes you queen for a day
              Just go to a mirror and look at yourself,
              And see what THAT gal has to say.

For it isn't your husband or family or friend
              Who judgment upon you must pass:
              The gal whose verdict counts most in the end
              Is staring back from the glass.

Some people may think you a straightshottin' chum
              And call you a person of place
              But the gal in the glass says you're only a bum
              If you can't look her straight in the face.

She's the gal to please, never mind all the rest
              For she's with you clear up to the end, And you've passed your most dangerous, difficult test
              If the gal in the glass is your friend.

You may fool the whole world down the pathway of years
              And get pats on the back as you pass,
              But your final reward will be heartaches and tears

If you've cheated the gal in the glass.

This is something that we all could have pasted to our bathroom mirror~
              teri
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow".

Comment

That is good. Thanks!
                Kim

Diagnosed August 2001

Comment

Kim,

That I am your disease, quote is great. I have been spending alot of time on at a addiction forum, for recovering addicts and people who live with active addiction, recovery,you know any form of the disease. These boards along with 2-3 alanon meetings a week have been a great help to me. I miss all you guys. I will be in touch. Hope all is well.

Christine
                  Christine

Comment

We miss you, too. Hope you are finding more and more moments of peace.
                    Kim

Diagnosed August 2001

Comment

I have to say that there are more moments of peace but not as many as I would like. I am starting to realize many things that I did not even see three weeks ago. So I guess that is good. But my health is giving me alot of problems.My doctors said it is stress, you know that 6 letter word that is as far as I am concerned the root of all problems, mental and physical.

I will write again soon.

Christine
                      Christine

Comment

KIM-what an inspriing message, thanks for sharing that.

Teri- wow, that was an isnpriing too, I love that gal in the glass. I wish I could get that and send it by email to one of my dearest interent friends.That is beautiful.

God works in mysterious ways. I thankGod we are here and there is help and 12 steps program.

Christine- good to hear from you and you are all in my prayers. We miss you and come back soon.
                        Hang in there , There is hope.
                        There is hope. Prayer works.

Love, Debbie

Comment

Thanks you aLL
                          Life is what you Make It .By being kind to every one and all creatures your life will be more pleasant. Live your life for GOD and if it were the last day you were alive becausse it maybe.

Comment

I kinda forgot this topic for awhile, huh? wink Here's another good one:

LET GO and LET GOD

As children bring their broken toys
                            with tears for us to mend,
                            I brought my broken dreams to God,
                            because He was my friend.

But then, instead of leaving Him
                            in peace, to work alone,
                            I hung around and tried to help,
                            with ways that were my own.

At last, I snatched them back and cried,
                            "How can you be so slow?"

"My child," He said,
                            "What could I do?
                            You never did let go."

- Anonymous -
                            Kim

Diagnosed August 2001

Comment

And one more:

Keep Me At It

God, give me due respect for the abilities you
                              have given me.

Don't let me sell them short. Don't let me
                              cheapen them. Don't let me bury my talents
                              through indecision, cowardice, or laziness.

Plant in me the necessary determination. Keep me
                              at it.

Rouse in me the fires of dedication. Keep me
                              at it.

Give me the energy, strength, and will power
                              to bring your gifts to their proper fruition. Keep
                              me at it.

When I falter or fall lift me up and set me
                              back on my destined path. Keep me at it.

Oh, God, when the way seems dark and there
                              is no light there, plant at least one small signal
                              fire at the end of the long black tunnel that I
                              may keep plodding steadily forward toward it.

When friends laugh at me, keep me at it.

When people tempt me away from it, keep me at it.

When others scorn what I have produced, let me
                              not be discouraged. Keep me at it.

When those who have tried and failed or who
                              have never tried at all, those who are envious or
                              indolent, when such people would hurt me by
                              spiteful words or acts, let me not be bothered.
                              Return me to my task. Keep me at it.

Let nothing really matter but these precious
                              gifts you have entrusted to me. For their sake
                              let me be willing and proud to make the
                              sacrifice. Keep me at it.

~ Marjorie Holmes, I've Got To Talk To Somebody, God
                              Kim

Diagnosed August 2001

Comment

Working...
                              X