Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when is your recovery birthday?

Mine is August 21,it will be five years this year
    Life is what you Make It .By being kind to every one and all creatures your life will be more pleasant. Live your life for GOD and if it were the last day you were alive becausse it maybe.

Congrats Kath. My recovery birthday is sept 10,1991.
    Hang in there , There is hope.
    There is hope. Prayer works.

Love, Debbie

Comment

Mine is May 8, 1990.
      Kim

Diagnosed August 2001

Current IC meds: Elmiron (since 2001), Levaquin (one pill after intercourse to prevent UTIs), Effexor (for depression & anxiety)

Past IC meds: Amitriptyline (Elavil), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril), Detrol LA, Lexapro (for depression & anxiety, but also helped my IC) (They all helped, but I was able to discontinue them.)

I've been virtually symptom free and able to eat & drink whatever I'd like for about 8 years now.

“We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.” ~ Viktor Frankl

“You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you.” ~ Brian Tracy

Comment

my husbands recovery date is 6/1/02......
        brat
        and I thank god daily
        'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Comment

Hi
          I just found this recovery section, am glad some of us are in recovery. My clean date in 4-17-1985.
          I was diagnosed with IC when I was 20, now am 45 and i recovery. I have struggled over the years with the fact of taking pain meds. When I have a flare up I have to take something and I used to get Panic Attacks due to my anxiety over taking pain meds. I finally had to tell myself it was okay,and allow my self to accept IC and my symptoms. The worst thing I have encountered is to have a flare up on the weekend and no Drs around and hace to go to a "convienient care" type place. They don't know what IC is and look at me like am drug seeking. OH I hate that. This weekend I had a real bad flare up and went to the er, I was lucky to find an old er doc that knew about IC and he treated me great>
          Jazz hi
          IC since 1980,Interstim 5/25/2005, Hyst, Deg. disk disease, VV, Hydrodistentions every year,urine capacity 175cc; Synthroid,, Biodentical Hormones,Atarax,Trazadone, , Anxiety,Depression, diagnossed with Huntingtons Disease 2003 ....RN

my story: www.ic-network.com/patientstories/nancyhtml

Comment

Hi
            I just found this recovery section, am glad some of us are in recovery. My clean date in 4-17-1985.
            I was diagnosed with IC when I was 20, now am 45 and i recovery. I have struggled over the years with the fact of taking pain meds. When I have a flare up I have to take something and I used to get Panic Attacks due to my anxiety over taking pain meds. I finally had to tell myself it was okay,and allow my self to accept IC and my symptoms. The worst thing I have encountered is to have a flare up on the weekend and no Drs around and hace to go to a "convienient care" type place. They don't know what IC is and look at me like am drug seeking. OH I hate that. This weekend I had a real bad flare up and went to the er, I was lucky to find an old er doc that knew about IC and he treated me great>
            Jazz hi
            IC since 1980,Interstim 5/25/2005, Hyst, Deg. disk disease, VV, Hydrodistentions every year,urine capacity 175cc; Synthroid,, Biodentical Hormones,Atarax,Trazadone, , Anxiety,Depression, diagnossed with Huntingtons Disease 2003 ....RN

Comment

Hi
              Jazz hi

Comment

It is sad how much we feel we can't be open about taking pain meds when in AA or NA. I understand why and have probably never said in a meeting that I did after 3 surgeries...

Now that I will most likely be going on an antidepressant/antianxiety med I am hesitant to share it in a meeting. I gave a lead (spoke) last night and thought about sharing that - I prayed for God to have me share what He wanted me to and then I didn't really remember it once I got going... I need to think about sharing it, though, b/c it really may help someone else....
                Kim

Diagnosed August 2001

Current IC meds: Elmiron (since 2001), Levaquin (one pill after intercourse to prevent UTIs), Effexor (for depression & anxiety)

Past IC meds: Amitriptyline (Elavil), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril), Detrol LA, Lexapro (for depression & anxiety, but also helped my IC) (They all helped, but I was able to discontinue them.)

I've been virtually symptom free and able to eat & drink whatever I'd like for about 8 years now.

“We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.” ~ Viktor Frankl

“You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you.” ~ Brian Tracy

Comment

grouphug grouphug grouphug Kim, I am on antidepessants, zoloft and I am sometimes I am so ashamed of my depression but I know tht I shouldn't be. I need to be on meds to help me get trhough the pain and the flares and depression. I know when I used to go to church I used to share about my depression. I don't know how to overcome it yet. You are not alone. When God thinks you are ready, he will let you share it. It will help someone else. Hang in there.There is hope. I love you.

Love, Debbie

Comment

Thanks for your kind words, Deb.

I actually do share about my depression and anxiety and I try to be real up front about that. I cried at the start of my lead when I told them I hadn't been in a real good "space" lately. It's the medication issue I am hesitant about... Some seem to frown on medications in recovery, but I need to get brave and share sometime. I know it would help others.
                    Kim

Diagnosed August 2001

Comment

Mine is March 29-1987. It was the year when my youngest was 13 (god! what a time to quit!) and he was getting into tons and tons of trouble and I asked him one day what would it take for you to stop getting in trouble. He answer floored me...he told me to get sober and I'll stop getting in trouble. Well. I will never forget March 29th because when I was driven home I felt like the lowest creature on the planet and prayed that he was truly sleeping and didn't know about the HUGE binge I went on. That's the thing that PUSHED me into AA. I knew then that I could't do it without help.
                      I had a WONDERFUL friend that talked me thru the process of the pain meds....she's gone now but God sent her to me just when I needed her most

One day and a time gals
                      teri
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow".

Comment

Although I am not an alcaholic, I have lost to alcoholism. My grandmother died of psirosis of the liver; my father has painful memories of his father drinking and having to go pick him up at a tavern with his brothers and bring him home, only to be yelled at and berated; and my father-in-law, by far the worst. He has tore into my husband emotionally and physically; he has stole money to drink; went into the rehabs and made my husband miss a semester of our sophomore year back in high school because he would disappear, come back, and promise to dry out; I've seen him go off on binges and disappear for days on end, and I've seen the pain that my husband has felt; I've seen my husband struggle for money when we were teens and dating, and he would ask his father on payday, and already the money would be gone, to booze; I've seen too much pain that the disease causes, and it hurts me. He has moved away and cannot hurt my husband anymore, but I know, it is his father, and he misses him because it's his dad. But anyway, that is why I have the AA prayer on my quote, because I think it rings true for trying to cope with IC also, and it is for my husband, too. He has tried to change his father and he couldn't, and he gracefully accepted it and moved on.

Hugs,
                        Jess
                        Mommy to 2 crazy, wonderful kids and wife to the most amazing man in the world!

Comment

Jesse and mvfwd - thanks for posting here. I am glad you felt comfortable doing so.

I did not grow up with an alcoholic, but my dad is bipolar - seriously bipolar like, break from reality type stuff. It was scary at times and certainly unpredictable. Learning about alcoholism and its effects on the family helped me in terms of my father. The AlAnon program helped me even more with stuff like that.

Anyway, thanks for sharing. I had a woman call me once on the AA hotline b/c her father was an alcoholic and she was at her wit's end dealing with him and worrying about him. We talked for about 20 minutes. I hope it helped.
                          Kim

Diagnosed August 2001

Comment

I feel comfortable to share this with you all now, When I was 18 years old, I lost a dear friend, she adopted me as her third daughter and we were very close, she was like a second mother to me, she was an acholic and she died of liver chirosss. sp? My mom was very sick as back as I can remeber. Mrs.Forrest had me sleep over and take me out to lunch and she always hugged me.Before she died, she told her husband, tell Debbie that she is very special and that I love her and to remeber that Jesus loves her too and she died with a smile on her face. Now, she has 3 children, Kathy, Steven, Chrissy. She remebered me. I vow not to drink since then, I have tried wine, kaluaha and milk, but can't drink it gives me headaches migranes. Not worth it. I never knew Mrs. Forrest drank. I always thought she loved tomato juice. LOL. I miss her, she has been gone for 24 years now, she was only 35 years old.

My grampa was an acholic and so was my mom's mom. and her father and step father. It is in my family tree. My aunts and uncles too. I thought I would share this with you all.

Thankyou.

Love, Debbie

Comment

Deb--

grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug kissing

Jess
                              Mommy to 2 crazy, wonderful kids and wife to the most amazing man in the world!

Comment

Working...
                              X