Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ICNDonna
    replied
    Longer fleece is much easier to work with.

Donna

Leave a comment:

• Rosalie
    replied
    Angora goats have longer hair. Would that make it easier to spin? I used to have an angora jumper when I was a child.
    I remember something about having to put it into the fridge? Something about it being less fluffy? Anyone know about this?

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    replied
    If you mean angora rabbit, some of the spinners mix it with other things, but we haven't done it --- it sheds very badly. I have one sweater with a bit of angora in the trim and it leaves tracks on anything I wear with it.

Donna

Leave a comment:

• MarthaB
    replied
    What about angora hair?, can you use that for spinning??
    martha

Leave a comment:

• traceann
    replied
    LOL, hmmm, guess cat hair is out the question then...

Thanks for the tip on the video lessons!! Very cool to know that's out there!! Time to find the needles.....

Hugs!

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    replied
    We have some of our own sheep, but you'd be amazed at how many people have their sheep shorn and want to give away the fleece. Most of ours are white, but we have one dark brown one. We're in the process of selling four of our sheep and plan to get some of a different kind that have better wool for spinning. Right now I think husband Terry is spinning llama, which ends up being very bulky. We certainly don't have a shortage of spinning material.

Donna

Leave a comment:

• tigger_gal
    replied
    sounds like fun... good luck

Leave a comment:

• mom_in_ma
    replied
    Donna,
    What a wonderful thing to learn! I thought about trying my hand at one of those hand spindles but I've barely got enough time to knit, but less make the yarn.

I've been knitting for about two years and really adore it. It's just hard to find the time. I'm currently working on a top down hooded sweater for my six year old in burnt orange peace fleece. It's a bit stiff but I've been assured it will soften quite a bit when blocked. I just finished a baby sweater for a friends newborn that was a blast to knit. So tiny, it took no time at all.

Leave a comment:

• Rosalie
    replied
    Donna, the coat of this particular breed is excellent for spinning. It is like wool, thick and long stranded.
    Do you purchase the wool directly from the farmer or do you have your own sheep?

Leave a comment:

• Sarojini
    replied
    Wow... I can't believe I missed this thread before. Donna, that is SO COOL I have seen spinning wheels many times, sometimes with women working them, and always thought it would be a very interesting thing to learn.

You have your own sheep,right? So you have a good supply of wool at hand? I would imagine that is crucial to the process. Are they white sheep or black ones or some of each?? I would want some of each. I love sheep. I don't know why but there is something so soothing about going to a petting zoo or farm and sinking my hands into a sheep that hasn't been shorn in a while... they sink in like it's a big wooly pillow

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    replied
    Dog hair doesn't usually make for good spinning. It has to be mixed with something else and still separates a lot. If I could use dal*****n hair I'd be set for life with the amount of shedding she does!

Donna

Leave a comment:

• dancemomof2
    replied
    Cool, I have tons ans tons of Golden Retriever hair, can we figure out how to spin that I could make a fortune with all this fur around here.

Glad you enjoy it, wish I was patient enought ohave a hobby like that, just to high strung to sit still and do all that.

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    replied
    I'm liking spinning, but haven't had lots of time for it for a couple of weeks. I'm almost good enough at it to take my wheel to spinning club!

The wool preparation is time consuming. When the sheep is shorn, there's lots of dirt in the fleece so it has to be washed, washed, washed, until the water is clean, then rinsed thoroughly. After it's clean and dry, we sit around and "tease" it --- you pick up a piece and just pull it apart in little wads until it looks like a cloud. Then it goes to the carder, which makes it into something that looks like pillow stuffing and can be separated into loose strips, which is what you spin.

After it's spun, it gets washed again and stretched so it will be nice and even. Then we have a gadget that puts it into balls and you can pull the yarn from the center to knit or crochet.

With the internet, if you do a search to find a particular knitting procedure, you will get an animated demonstration. I have used the internet to learn some knitting steps and I watch it over and over until I can totally understand how to do it.

I'm thinking this is going to be a very consuming hobby.

Donna

Leave a comment:

• Rosalie
    replied
    Donna, how are you going with your spinning. As tracey said, it sounds like a very soothing pastime. Years ago, I had a beautiful keeshond dog whose hair could be spun.The Keeshond clubs would display garments made form it.
    At the time I would have loved to spin his hair. He had a very thick double coat that he shed twice a year. I had bags and bags of the stuff!

Where do you get the wool to spin? Does it have to go through any particuler process before you can deal with it?

Leave a comment:

• traceann
    replied
    Wow Donna!! Actually, to me it seems like an activity that would be "soothing"...repetitive to where you can just get "lost" in what you are doing...

I have tried knitting once, and ended up frustrated, sometimes certain things I need someone to physically show me, and some things I can learn out of books (Like my crocheting) -- but knitting for me wasn't a book learnin' sort of thing!! Good idea on the scarf...my first crochet project was a bit too ambitious, lol -- an afgan!! LOL Big mistake...I wasn't very good at keeping the tension consistant so it grew and grew.....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X