knitting question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• knitting question

What does "psso" mean and how is it done? I taught myself how to knit years ago with a book but never made it that far. Plus I can't find the book now. Also how do you slip a stitch?

Hey pottywoman, I have no answers as knitting was not a strong point for me, well, honestly, I could never get it, stuck with very basic crocheting, lol. But, I do know that either Rosalie or Sheebah will have some answers, they are whizzes at that sort of stuff...

Hugs!
    Hugs,
    Tracey
    How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time...

Harry arrived 2/23/09!

*IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

IC Diet Cheat Sheet:
    http://www.ic-network.com/diet/2009icdietlist.pdf

Dx's:
    IC dx'd Nov 2004
    Lymphocytic Colitis dx'd July 2005
    Possible IBS
    Current IC Meds
    Vistaril 25mg in the evening
    Previous IC Meds taken:
    Cystoprotek - 2 caps 2x's a day
    Elmiron, 100mg 3x's a day
    Ditropan, 5 mg 3x's a day
    Others:
    Wellbutrin 150mg 2x's a day for Anxiety/IBS
    Pepcid 40mg a day for GERD
    Zytrec for Nasal Allergies
    Align Probiotic daily for IBS

Comment

psso means ( pass slip stitch over) it's not hard once you get the hang of it, here is a site you may be interested in
      http://www.craftown.com/knitlesson.htm
      hope it helps,
      Martha

Ps, if you need more info, just google '' free knitting lessons'' or knitting abbreviations, that should help you out also.
      Martha

Comment

G'donya Martha! I didn't know you were a knitter too! Do you crochet as well?

Pottywoman,(you have to tell us you name, I feel funny calling you pottywoman!) Pass the Slip Stitch Over is generally used in decreasing the number of stitches. When you decrease by knitting two stitches together, the casted off stitch will point in a certain direction, the PSSO makes it point in the opposite direction.

So if you are decreasing on both ends of a row, it makes it all neat.

The other time it is used is in creating fancy stitches.
        What are you working on at the moment?
        Rosalie

http://community.webshots.com/user/gypsyrose52

Comment

Thanks Martha for the web site. I'll look at it. At the moment I am knitting a cabled cardigan. Almost had the back completely done and then I noticed I only casted on 60 stitches instead of 90. Was wondering why it looked so small width wise. I've seen lots of fancy sweaters that have psso or slip a stitch. I guess now is a good time as any to learn it. Thanks Rosalie too

Mary

Comment

Mary, I am very impressed with your progress. It took me a long time before I had the confidence to try a cable. You are picking this up very quickly.
            It is nice to see knitting making a comeback. It can be very relaxing and rewarding.
            And there are such wonderful yarns available today.
            Rosalie

Comment

Hi Rosalie,
              I've been knitting for a long time. Lets see...this will give my age sort of away. It's been at least 20 years. I just never learned all of it. Cabling I thought would be very hard but it isn't. Just have to make sure you know what row you are on or the cable it's all twisted into a wierd looking state. I am going to try the psso after I finish this cardigan. I have found along with the bladder I'm loosing my memory. Have to write everything down to keep track of where I am. In my younger days (they seem so long ago) I could knit 3 items at the same time. Leave them for 1 year and know where I left off. Now 5 minutes later I forget...old age...it's soooooooooooooo nice.

Comment

SIily me, I thought that you had just started learning.
                By the way, if you are loosing your memory because of your age, then I shouldn't even be able to remember my name! LOL
                Rosalie

Comment

Mary, you are welcome, I started knitting when I was pregnant with my first child, had no idea how to start, but my neighbour helped me and I took of from there, I have never tried cable yet, may have a go at that one day, I did a cardigan for my hubby and several baby outfits for my kids, now I am looking forward to making baby clothes for my ''future'' grandchildren, I'm getting clucky but my daughter is not, kinda makes thing difficult haha
                  How are you going health wise Mary?? are you still taking the zoloft???
                  And how's the exercise coming along, I remember not long ago you said you felt a bit better, sure hope that's still the case, I know it's hard struggling with Ic, depression and weight gain, just know you are not alone.
                  Martha
                  Martha

Comment

Rosalie, when I hit 35 years of age it's all been down hill since. My mind started going not too long after that. I just hope I haven't forgotten where I buried the box of gold in the back yard.

You know Martha that is how I got started with knitting/crocheting. (I can do all the crocheting stitches there are so I'm better at that) My sister was having her first baby so I made baby cloths and then stuffed animals and so on. I tried sewing but that was a nightmare and I tried to learn tatting on my own from a book but I always ended up with a big huge knotted mess. I finally gave up. I do want to try and branch out on the knitting. Maybe try the psso pattern when I finish this cardigan. Oh, I was looking through my old workbaskets (that tells how old I am) and on the one pattern at the bottom of the page they said what passing a stitch was. All these years thinking it was just passing the stitch to the other needle and it was. I felt so tupid.

As for the IC I have good days and bad. I quit the zoloft because i kept gaining weight with it and it really didn't help any. I'm trying to get back into the crafting/exercising and not worry about cleaning and dust bunnies. I had lost 3 pounds but gained that back with two days of non-stop eating. Was a bad day then but at least I didn't gain more then the 3 pounds. I am trying the new cocktail instill. Last week was the first but I'm not sure if it was that that caused all the more pain/sick feeling and just feeling really lousy or I was having a bad day. Will see next week when I go for another one. How are you doing?

Comment

Mary, I too tried sewing, but I am hopeless at it, I don't know how to crochet either except just the normal chain thing, I don't know how to read a pattern either, I would love to learn though, maybe one day, I am too busy with other things at the moment, do you get your patterns of the web?? I have come across some gorgeous free patterns, I am always on the lookout for free things, and because I do a lot of cross stitching, I run into a lot of knittingpatterns too, a lot of the craft sites have combined crafts like papercrafts, needle crafts, etc, I could spend all day just searching for new things.
                      Have you ever thought of joining a knitting forum, I bet there are lots out there, just google ''knitting forums'' and you will find that heaps will come up, I have joined about 3 craftforums and I love it, they usually have a section where people will share a new site they have found, so sometimes the work is done for you.
                      Psso is such an easy stitch to do, I'm sure you do it in no time at all.
                      I have my good and bad days as well, I have not been diagnosed as yet, but when I had my cysto/hydro done they found I got a small bladder with minor inflamation, the uro did not want to diagnose me on just those symptoms, but I don't think he knows to much about IC anyway, I have nocturia, urethral burning, bladderpain, and bladderburning but that has subsided since my cysto/hydro, I also get burning on the inside of my right thigh going down as far as my knee, also my urine always has red and white bloodcells, but my cultured urine samples showes no infection, my ph last time was 5.0 which is very acidic, what do you think Mary?? do my symptoms point to IC?? I think they do. If only I could get a diagnosis, because now my bladder doesn't get treated, and I worry it will get worse.
                      I have gone of the zoloft as well, I had no choice really because I take Tramal, and those 2 meds don't go well together, I really need my tramal for the pain, and I figured it is about time I get of the zoloft after 11 years of taking it.
                      Martha
                      Martha

Comment

hmmm, I love to sew, and am pretty much self taught, not brilliant at it but I can stitch a straight seam -- most times, lol.

I remember the first and only top I made, it was beautiful stretch maroon Panne' velvet...great stuff. I made a mock turtle neck, it was my first time setting sleeves and I actually did them right the first time, etc. I tried it on....I put the stretch of the material the wrong way. I got it stuck on my head when trying to take it off... panicked and then got it stuck on my nose -- wouldn't go any further. I panicked again, and pullled it off... almost took my nose with it. That was the last time I made a shirt...too disenheartened to try again.

LOL
                        Hugs,
                        Tracey

Harry arrived 2/23/09!

*IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

IC Diet Cheat Sheet:

Dx's:
                        IC dx'd Nov 2004
                        Possible IBS
                        Current IC Meds
                        Previous IC Meds taken:
                        Others:

Comment

Tracey, that sounds like something that would happen to me but I never made a shirt. Made a light jacket in school once but that was all. Sewing machines and me just don't get along.

Martha, I never thought about googling knitting. (That sounds funny). Will give it a try when I have time to do it. Never got any patterns off the internet. Just all in books. Didn't know you could get patterns off the internet. I have tons and tons of craft books. Half I bought and the other were given to me. I've always told people if you're throwing away any crafting supply of any kind throw it at me. ha Needless to say I could open my own store.
                          To me you sound like you could have IC. I know a person who had it and when they had the hydro done it went away for good. They also had blood "spots' in their urine as well. Without the tens on my bladder pain will go down the front of my legs to my knee as well. I also have pain in my sides but I don't know what it is from. Maybe Ovaries?? Have you tried getting a second opinion just make sure? I think I would. Some doctors are not right even if they are a nice one.

Comment

Hee hee, it was quite a sight to say the least. I just couldn't bring myself to try again, lol. I have made really easy skirts with elastic waists, loved those, super easy to make. I wanted to try a straight skirt, the no-waistband style with a zipper, but can't find a darn zipper foot for my poor little plain-jane Singer, you'd think it would be easy....I'll have to contact Singer direct I think. I haven't ever tried a zipper on my own before so maybe that's why I am dragging my feet in looking for one...um, how about at least 8 years??? LMAO!!!!

Hugs!
                            Hugs,
                            Tracey

Harry arrived 2/23/09!

IC Diet Cheat Sheet:

Dx's:
                            IC dx'd Nov 2004
                            Possible IBS
                            Current IC Meds
                            Previous IC Meds taken:
                            Others:

Comment

Mary, you can definately get lots of knitting patterns free on line, all you need is a printer, I would send you some, but we are not really allowed to post any craft sites on here, because a lot of sites have stuff for sale, and if you were to click directly on the link they would know where it came from, and they would try to sell their stuff on this site.
                              If you are interested I can pm you some sites, just let me know I'll be happy to sent them to you.
                              Martha
                              Martha

Comment

Working...
                              X