ceramics :]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ceramics :]

ceramics is probably the most relaxing hobby for me.
    my ceramic teacher that i had last year is letting me use her kiln and glaze as long as i pay for my own clay.

it's rather soothing and i rarely make stuff from the potters wheel.
    doing that requires a lot of effort and can cause major pain to the bladder!
    you can make so much without the potters wheel [yes even pots!]

if you have any questions on how to make easy stuff just let me know. :]
    yep. just thought that i should share this rather grand hobby.
    I have been battling IC since I was 5 years of age. I was finally officially diagnosed with IC when I was 17 years of age. I am currently attend East Tennessee State University in order to become an Epidemiologist. I would love to assist with finding the cure for this painful disease.

Hi, ashley and to our little craft corner, I would love to see some of your work, ..I did a course of painting on ceramics which was very relaxing.
    How do you make the pots without the wheel ??, if you have the time I would love to read some more about it,
    Martha
    Martha

Comment

ceramics

Originally posted by sheebah
      Hi, ashley and to our little craft corner, I would love to see some of your work, ..I did a course of painting on ceramics which was very relaxing.
      How do you make the pots without the wheel ??, if you have the time I would love to read some more about it,
      Martha
      you can make pots by using the coil method.
      you take a hunk of clay and flatten it out.
      put a bowl upside down and use a pencil to cut through the clay into a circle using the upside down bowl as a guide line.
      smooth that circle out but try not to flatten it more than it already is.
      than you take a smaller hunk of clay and roll it between your hands.
      [like kids will do with playdough to make snakes]
      than put the "snake" around the circle base you made previously.
      smooth it into the bottom so you don't notice that its a coil.
      or if you like the coil look, just smooth it in the inside so it sticks but leave the coil alone on the outside of the pot.
      just keep making "snakes" with clay and put them on top of the other ones.
      it's best to smooth each individual "snake" when you first place it on.
      build it as high as you want it and then put it into the kiln for a bisque fire.

:] there ya go. a pot without the potters wheel.
      it takes longer but it can be really relaxing and you have more control over it.

to make a really simple pot you can roll some clay into a ball and then use both of your thumbs to press into the center and then go down and stretch it outwards all the way around.
      turn it over and flatten the bottom with a smooth rib.
      [or if you have no idea what a smooth rib is than use the end of a spatula]

:] i hope that helped some.
      if you wanna learn to make something else i can try to give you step by step directions.
      it so hard to type this out instead of showing you.
      i'm more of a visual person so if you don't understand any of this i understand.
      I have been battling IC since I was 5 years of age. I was finally officially diagnosed with IC when I was 17 years of age. I am currently attend East Tennessee State University in order to become an Epidemiologist. I would love to assist with finding the cure for this painful disease.

Comment

Hi Ashley, thanks for the explanation, I am a visual person too, but I can imagine how it's done now, how do you go about the colouring of the clay, do you add it while kneading?? or don't you use colour at all?
        Have you got some photo's we could have a look at??
        Thanks again for taking the time to explain it all,
        Martha
        Martha

Comment

Originally posted by sheebah
          Hi Ashley, thanks for the explanation, I am a visual person too, but I can imagine how it's done now, how do you go about the colouring of the clay, do you add it while kneading?? or don't you use colour at all?
          Have you got some photo's we could have a look at??
          Thanks again for taking the time to explain it all,
          Martha
          You don't add any color to the clay until after it has been through the bisque fire [the first firing through the kiln].
          THEN you glaze it with specific glaze for ceramics and put it in through the glaze fire [the second firing through the kiln]
          if you miss a spot it can go through the glaze fire again but really try to not miss anything. :]

I don't have any picture of before and after but i'm sure you could find some if you googled it.

i used to have pictures of the stuff that i have made before but i can't seem to find them.
          i'll try and take some pictures soon and post them. :]

Comment

Thanks Ashley,
            Martha
            Martha

Comment

Hi Ashley, great to see you in the craft forum.
              I've had a go at painting and firing greenware. Have you ever done this? You can get a huge variety of pieces to work with.
              What kind of clay do you use when making your pots? Do you make any other pieces?
              I'd love to see some of your work. If you can find some pictures would you post them?
              Rosalie

http://community.webshots.com/user/gypsyrose52

Comment

Oooooh yeah, I gotta add my welcome to the crazy corner of the boards, lol. And don't believe Rosalie when she says she's innocent...shes the ring leader - isn't she Martha??? LOL

I used to do ceramics, but it was just the painting of the already formed item. Then it was fired etc. Gosh, I forgot about that phase I went through!! LOL
                Hugs,
                Tracey
                How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time...

Harry arrived 2/23/09!

*IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

IC Diet Cheat Sheet:
                http://www.ic-network.com/diet/2009icdietlist.pdf

Dx's:
                IC dx'd Nov 2004
                Lymphocytic Colitis dx'd July 2005
                Possible IBS
                Current IC Meds
                Vistaril 25mg in the evening
                Previous IC Meds taken:
                Cystoprotek - 2 caps 2x's a day
                Elmiron, 100mg 3x's a day
                Ditropan, 5 mg 3x's a day
                Others:
                Wellbutrin 150mg 2x's a day for Anxiety/IBS
                Pepcid 40mg a day for GERD
                Zytrec for Nasal Allergies
                Align Probiotic daily for IBS

Comment

hehe, now we got two scorpio's here on the craft board, ashley is one too, the 1st of november, I'm a big stickybeak when it comes to starsigns, I check every ones birthdate on their profile, some people don't mention it, spoils all my fun haha.
                  Yes I did the ceramic painting as well, found it very relaxing, the lady who tought me is in her early 80's but she's as sharp as a tack, and she did some beautiful work, she only charged $6.00 for 3 hours, and 50 cents per item for the kiln, and we just bought the ready made items of her as well, very cheap, her studio was at the bottom area of her house overlooking the water ( moreton bay) sooo peaceful.
                  Martha
                  Martha

Comment

Martha, do you have photos of any of your peices? I was always fascinated with the result and the way the glazes changed with firing.
                    Rosalie

Comment

Hi Ashley, I am looking forward to seeing your handmade ceramics. I have always had pain in my hands and also my hands are very weak I never tried working with clay. I did try some painting and that was fun, but again because of the nerve damage called carpal tunnel, and my hands were so very shakey.

My youngest daughter has always loved doing pottery the same way that you listed. She likes to make her own creations and she did make me a beautiful snail that she wanted me to put in the outside garden. I have it in my foyer iside the front door on a table next to a green fern. Its very pretty.

Someday my daughter says she would like to sell some of her handmade pottery and now she is working at a small nursery with a little gift shop and the owner told her she could sell her ceramics. Perhaps you can find a place like that to sell your ceramics and use your talents.

My daughter keeps an idea scrapbook, pics and drawings, so that when she is in a creative mood she will have lots of inspiration without going out.
                      Do you have your own Kiln?
                      Sheila

Comment

Hi Rosalie, I have no photo's, but that's no problem I just borrow my friends camera again. I did two plates, the size of bread and butter plates, and I did another one, like a dinnerplate size, but it's still sitting in the studio for over a year now unfinished.
                        The firing of the pieces can be very tricky, but she was very good at it, we just left the pieces for her to do, and they always turned out nice.
                        Tamara does really good sculptures, and I will make some photo's of that as well, so you can have a look, I wish she would get back into that again, she could make a few bucks on the markets, or even on consignment from a shop.
                        The bloke she had lessons of is a local artist here in wynnum, he also sell his stuff here in the shops, the sculpture she gave me she could sell for about $120.00 dollars each, she doesn't have a kiln, but I am sure she could find some one who does firings and she could get a few pieces done at the same time.
                        Martha
                        Martha

Comment

Hmmmm Martha, what do you think of us Pisceans?? I fortunately or unfortunately, lol, am so true to my sign it's frightening - and my hubby is a good Passionate (albeit sometimes his moodiness can be a pain in the ass) Scorpio as well, lol. I also fit quite nicely with my Libra rising.....
                          Hugs,
                          Tracey
                          How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time...

Harry arrived 2/23/09!

*IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

IC Diet Cheat Sheet:
                          http://www.ic-network.com/diet/2009icdietlist.pdf

Dx's:
                          IC dx'd Nov 2004
                          Lymphocytic Colitis dx'd July 2005
                          Possible IBS
                          Current IC Meds
                          Vistaril 25mg in the evening
                          Previous IC Meds taken:
                          Cystoprotek - 2 caps 2x's a day
                          Elmiron, 100mg 3x's a day
                          Ditropan, 5 mg 3x's a day
                          Others:
                          Wellbutrin 150mg 2x's a day for Anxiety/IBS
                          Pepcid 40mg a day for GERD
                          Zytrec for Nasal Allergies
                          Align Probiotic daily for IBS

Comment

I hope Tamara continues with her ceramics and does have a go at selling some peices. Its hard to find anything different in the shops.
                            Did you ladies know the saying about scorpios? " Either all the way up or all the way down, on middle ground no scorpios found"
                            Rosalie

Comment

Oh I lovd ceramics I go to a group every week it has a wonderful relaxing thing that I enjoy doing. I had made some pretty neat things too!
                              Kelly
                              To the world you might be one person but to one person you might be the world..
                              I am a newbie Angel ~IC Angel Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

Working...
                              X