Card Making

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Card Making

One of my favourite things to do is make greeting cards. About four years ago it was my new years resolution to remember the birthdays of all my friends and family members with a card...preferably posted on time!

This is what started my card making as I couldn't find cards were suitably personal to the particular recipient.
    This was my effort for today to celebrate my brothers and sister in laws fortieth wedding anniversary. I hope it gives them a laugh.

As you can see I love my computer and the internet. All I had to do was google "ears" copy and paste and put them all together!
    I should be doing other things.....The ironing is up to the window sill....hey but who cares?
    Rosalie

http://community.webshots.com/user/gypsyrose52

Rosalie, what a beautiful card, I love the ear idea, just wish I knew how to do that, I know how to copy and paste, and then what's next..??
    I would love to learn how to do that, as you know I make cards too, but I am finding it hard to keep motivated, this would do the trick I think, I just need a lesson from you,
    Martha
    Martha

Comment

Martha, I know you have bought a clipart program that sounds similar to mine. I just open a new blank A4 size page as most of my cards are A5 so I get an idea of the size of the image I want.
      I paste my images from wherever I can get them (if the program doesn't have what I'm after) onto the new page. From there I fiddle around until I get the size I want. With this one I decreased the image size to one that would allow 40 images to fit on the card size I want.
      Then I copied it and lined the new copy up with the first image. Now when I picked up a new image from the googled site, I just used the "paste into" function on the second image. This meant that by using this method all the pictures were the same size and easy to manipulate into the grid pattern. Am I making any sense?
      Honestly, I only learned by playing around....and unfortunately ..or fortunately depending on what way you look at it .....spending hours and hours making one card image....and unfortunately swearing an awful lot!
      The program you have will give you the ability to import pictures and resize them, you may even be able to recolour. Mostly, I just use the pc to print the picture I want and then stick it onto the card stock. I rarely make a card completely on the computer.
      The other thing I like to do is put a paper insert into the card like the ones you buy.
      I reckon it adds a nice touch and you can write the message you want and sometimes I repeat the image, or something relevant, onto the insert paper.
      Did you notice the gold sticker edging I used? I have some curly ones that I never used because they pulled out of shape when I took them off the paper. The trick you told me about just holding it until it brings itself into shape again means I can now use them and will try some even more intricate ones. Thanks Martha.
      I love this forum. I have learned so much from everybody.
      Rosalie

Comment

Thanks Rosalie for the explanation, I am going to have a go at that program I got, haven't used it much, I googled ''photo's of ears'' and heaps came up, I have saved them in a folder for later use, I do have to get some more coloured ink, I only have black left.
        This is the program I have,
        http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...07265-1598338s
        I really should use it more, I paid $90.00 dollars for this program, and I haven't even made anything out of it yet.
        I would love to see some more cards if you have the time,
        Martha
        Martha

Comment

That looks like to same type of program that I have. Did it came with written instructions or is it all in the help menu? I still like to have the paper in my hands then you can go back and forth in the instructions while you nut it all out.
          Ok here are a few more cards. Actually, I've only just started keeping a pictorial record of them. I thought, like you Martha, about trying to sell some and I tend to forget what I've done...truth is I forget a lot of things these days

PS.Martha, did I give you the information about the place in Currumbin that sells the cheap ink cartridges? You just ring them up and they deliver the next day. I have never had any problem with them and have bought about five lots so far and they a half the price.

PSS AND all of the images are off my clipart program. I'll bet that you have similar ones. OK I'm going now!
          Last edited by Rosalie; 02-12-2006, 05:49 PM. Reason: Add PS
          Rosalie

Comment

Rosalie, all the instructions are on the help menu, thanks for reminding me, I have started to print some pages of the tutorial already, I meant to do that a while ago but forgot, some stuff is on video so I cannot print that, never mind at least I have some stuff on paper, and yes you did give the website for the cartridge place a while ago thanks!!
            Those cards are gorgeous, I really want to get crackin' and have a go at it too, I just need to have more patience, and I need to be alone in the house so no one can distract me,
            Martha
            Martha

Comment

Rosalie! Is there anything that you can't do? Those cards are great! I love the ear idea & I really love the butterfly ladies (the 1st one is my fave)!!!!!!
              Dream with the feathers of angels stuffed beneath your head - Clutch

IC, PFD, IBS, Fibromyalgia, MPS, Migraines, Allergies, Scoliosis, Bi-polar, Vulvodynia......

Comment

Karma, I love that image in the first photo too. I wonder if it would work in a cross stitch?
                Have any of you worked with JAC paper? It is fantastic stuff. It is a sheet of double sided sticky. You can cut it into whatever size or strip or shape you want. Peel off one side, stick it to the card, peel off the other and you have a sticky surface, sprinkle it with glitter and voila!
                That is what is behind the butterflies and on the deep pink edge around the third fairy.
                I also like using the thick double sided tapes to give a third dimension to a card. A frame that stands up from the card can be very effective. I've done this on the butterfly card, some of the butterflies are also raised.
                Rosalie

Comment

cute cards!
                  (\__/)
                  (o.O )
                  (> < ) This is Bunny. He's on his way to world domination.

Comment

Rosalie, I've done it!!! I actually created a card with ears, followed your instructions and I got myself a card, now I have to learn how to print inside the card. do you make the insert seperately ?? and then glue it inside the card??
                    Thank You !!!
                    Martha
                    Martha

Comment

Congratulations Martha! Yes I make the insert on a seperate sheet of paper and use very narrow double sided tape to attach it on the spine.Its easier to use an insert rather than turning the card over and trying to line up the writing.
                      I used to fiddle around everytime to get the size right. In the end I made up documents with all the paper dimensions that I use and the envelope sizes as well. So I just have to write the message I want and address the envelope and print them out together.
                      I bought beautiful cardstock and matching paper at a craft show a while ago. It has a metallic shimmer to it. Most of it is gone and I can't find it anywhere. I'll just have to hold out until the next craft show in March.
                      Rosalie

Comment

The printing bit is a challenge for me, but I learn something new all the time.
                        Isn't it annoying when you run out of your fav paper?? next time you go to the craftshow ask for a business card of the people you buy the card stock from, that way you know who to re-order from.
                        Martha
                        Martha

Comment

Rosalie,those cards are absolutely beautiful! I'm playing around with making cards, using clip art, fabric, some "embellishments" I make with polymer clay, etc. It'll be a while before I'll be posting any pictures, though - I still need LOTS of practice. My ironing isn't piling up (since I don't iron!) but my bathroom is a fright. Scrubbing grout just doesn't appeal to my "artistic" side, I guess!

Comment

these are my newest cards, hope you like them,
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/100259881/
                            martha
                            Martha

Comment

Pingpong, tell me more about the polymer clay. It sounds very intresting. Personally, I think there should be a law that anyone who is interested in craft is exempt from housework! Any takers on approaching the lawmakers?

Martha, those cards are really different. Is the one of the little girl done like a paper tole? I love the dresses, are they stickers?
                              Rosalie

Comment

Working...
                              X