Journal writing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Journal writing?

Anyone here keep a journal? What do you write about? How often? How do you keep it from just being a place to record frustration?
    Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
    I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
    Source - Pinterest
    "

Current treatments:
    -IC diet
    -Elavil 50mg at night
    -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
    -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
    -Pyridium if needed,
    -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
    -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
    -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
    -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
    -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
    -Managing stress= VERY important!
    -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

I keep a journal mainly to keep up with my pain, describe the pain, the scale of it when I take my pain meds and how long it takes for the pain meds to work. Like now, I am at my good stage, so I don't keep it as much, but the way I think about it is that when I am in a flare, I can remember the things that worked "or didn't". I also use it for frustration especially when I have been doing so well, then bam, I am in a flare and after I hurt for so long, I get to where I start thinking that I am never going to turn the corner.

Tracey

Comment

Journals are Fun

Hi Kadi,

I keep a journal on my computer. I use a little known Microsoft office product called OneNote. It is organized by tabs across the top of the screen and then under each tap are as many pages as you want. Think of it as a spiral bound student’s notebook with sections (the tabs). My first tab is Inspiration … here is where I keep track of ideas that I find positive and motivating. My second tab is Big Goals … here I keep track of the things that I would like to accomplish. Anyway, I have 14 tabs, five of which are used just to manage my ‘to do’ lists. One tab is dedicated to photography, one of my hobbies. I have a tab dedicated to a collage of things that I would like to happen in the future. And one final little tab for IC, just to keep track of IC research being published.

My journal is not focused on IC because I focus on everything else that I want to do. This works better for me. If I want to work through something, I will write a short essay and include it on a separate page in the journal. I find this approach allows me to put things into perspective, acknowledge my feelings and move forward. I have some really nice essays.

I don’t worry about working in my journal every day. If I succeed with my plans, they will create gaps in the journal. The gaps are great. I just come back and adjust the journal and go forward. I like the idea that I can always create a new blank page at any time with new plans and ideas. It is the perfect metaphor. I love the idea that our lives and plans can change quickly.

I have always found some comfort in organization. I even kept journals when I was in High School … long before IC.

I don’t post very often, but I like reading the forum. You are a beautiful writer. If you decide to write a journal, I would focus on what I find inspirational in your writing … the courage, organization, intelligence, new ideas and optimism.
      Bill

Comment

Bill, I love your idea.

I have kept a journal for the last 5 years, since I have had IC. I always kept diaries as a kid, but have not written since then. I found I needed a place I could go to let out my frustrations, since I don't talk to others that often about my IC. I actually found that I have learned a lot about myself by allowing myself to express how it is I feel. I don't write in this book everyday.

The way I keep it from just being a book about frustrations is that I now make sure that everytime I write in it, I write about something I am grateful for. That has helped me look at the positive even when I am having a bad day. I have found that no matter how my day went, I can always find something good in a day. It just makes me more aware of my surroundings instaead of always focusing on myself.

Have fun writing!
        Lyn

Comment

Working...
        X