"Biscuits Like Grandma Used to Make"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Biscuits Like Grandma Used to Make"

Does anyone make good old fashion biscuits and would like to share the receipe!! I want to learn how. Is there a secret to it? Mine are like asteriods!

Hi, Mare Mare, I just use the recipe on the back of the White Lily brand flour. I buy that flour for biscuits because it has less gluten in it. Gluten is the stuff that makes breads hard (you don't want biscuits to be hard and chewy, so you want less gluten.) If you do use regular, all-purpose flour, be sure not to add liquid until right before you are ready to bake the biscuits (have the oven already pre-heated) and handle the dough as little as possible. No kneading, very little mixing/stirring. The more you manipulate the dough, the tougher it will be unfortunately.

Anyway, that's all I know about biscuits (not much, LOL)...

Blessings,
    Lori

Comment

Mare, Mare ...that's funny. I used to say I could kill someone with my biscuits by hitting them in the head. I don't know what grandma's buscuits taste like becuase I don't really remember my grandmother making any but I found a way to make them on my own. I used a food processor to mix it all up with. Makes it easier. I put in flour (what ever amount), I add at least 1 tablespoon baking powder and then shortening. When you get done crumbing it, it should look like pie dough. Should be crumby but also stay somewhat together. Mix with milk until it holds form. Roll, cut and bake I found this way they turn out extra flaky. Bad part is they don't taste very good reheated so better to eat them all at that time. They sort of turn into bolders by the next day.

Comment

Working...
      X